Sole Survivor

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Sole Survivor

Postby softball66 » July 9th, 2009, 5:44 pm

Anyone here ever see the made for TV movie "Sole Survivor" about a World War II airplane that ditched into the Libyian Desert. Only one of the crew survived, the navigator, who parachuted and was rescued at sea, becoming a general. An investigating team finds the wreckage and tries to figure out what happened to the men on board.
What struck me about the film was that they had ghosts of the crew playing baseball around the wreckage, unseen and unobserved, by the investigators of the crash. Several old mitts in those shots. They killed time with baseball games and catch waiting for their bodies to be discovered.
The story was based on an actual World War II event of the B24 plane which landed in the desert with the crew wandering off. The history channel did an excellent documentary on that and the navigator WAS AT FAULT.
Aeronautics experts discovered that he was a "doodler" and didn't have their course plotted or know where they were.
Fascinating story and movie and the film is hard to find.
:roll:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby candlestick » July 10th, 2009, 1:47 pm

Ah, one of my all time favorite movies as a kid. I have only seen it once and I did not understand until the very end that the airmen were ghosts, and why they were disappearing in the movie. The story and my memory of the movie has stuck with me throughout my life - but I had forgotten that the airmen played baseball to pass the time until they were rescued! Now I do want to see that movie again, and yes, it is difficult to find, I have looked for it.
candlestick
Veteran Glove Poster

kinda fits

Postby softball66 » July 10th, 2009, 2:32 pm

ties into some of our current glove discussions about service issued gloves.
Had a cast of "series" stars: William Shatner, Vince Edwards, Richard Basehart plus John Wayne's son Pat.
Haunting movie in that it left an impression on your mind in several ways.
Then the documentary by the History Channel on this plane "Lady Be Good".
They did find some bodies later plus a diary of how these tried to find civilization.
Glad you enjoyed it like I did. :)
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby candlestick » July 10th, 2009, 5:14 pm

Ah through the miracle of modern technology - go to Google, Videos, type Sole Survivor, find the movie and enjoy. 1h 36m in length w/o commercial interruption. I know what I will be doing this evening.
candlestick
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool