DiMaggio Baseball

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

DiMaggio Baseball

Postby baseballdad » March 29th, 2009, 5:58 pm

In the early 80's, my uncle took me and my cousin to baseball card show in Arlington VA, when I was in my early teens. Joe DiMaggio was there, and I bought a baseball, stood in line, and had him autograph it, right in front of me. I have never forgotten that, and I've kept that baseball in a holder, all of these years, so it is all still in great condition. Question, how can I determine how much that ball might be worth? I would love to pass it on to my kids some day. Or would it not have much value, since there is no kind of "certificate of authenticity"? Any thoughts?
baseballdad
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » March 29th, 2009, 7:02 pm

Hi

You'd probably get a better response on this forum regarding your ball:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/567138/
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Number9 » March 29th, 2009, 9:28 pm

Since you plan to pass it down to future generations, I'd recommend the same approach that you'd hear on antiques roadshow. Quite simply, write down the details of your experience that day as you remember them along with any other facts that may add to the future recipient's knowledge of the ball and how you came to obtain it.

As for the ball's value, depending on condition of course, you're probably looking at a range of $300-500 at today's prices, maybe less, but most likely not more. Joe D signed a lot of autographs during the 80's so your ball isn't rare, though it is still desirable.

Don't bother sending it out to an authenticator. The lack of a COA doesn't hurt you as you aren't planning on selling it. If your kids or grandkids decide to sell it, the authentication letter you'd get today probably wouldn't hold any weight down the road anyway. Save the fee and put it toward something else more meaningful.
Number9
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool