Wood bats to be scruitinized by MLB

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Wood bats to be scruitinized by MLB

Postby softball66 » December 18th, 2008, 4:38 pm

With the recent problem of shattering bats, especially in the maple bat category, new rules and testing are being implemented by Major League Baseball on each bat.
It's good protection for bystanders and fans but we understand some of the maple bat manufacturers are unhappy with the expense of the testing.
Here's the link:
http://www.designnews.com/article/16092 ... tering.php
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Wood Bat testing

Postby GloveGypsy » December 18th, 2008, 9:18 pm

I am sure the result of this will be fewer home runs.

MLB will have some difficult decisions to make.

Many big leaguers use bats that have handles that are very thin to reduce weight and increase "whip." I believe these thin handles on rock maple bats easily explode in splinters and shards of wood, rather than crack.

In a way, I don't blame the players. Fat contracts and media adoration goes to the sluggers of the game. When a player hits a home run, it is shown from four different camera angles.

On the other hand, when and inning ending bang-bang double play is made, the action is cut off with the mumbling game announcers and a break for some commercial about a product that I have absolutely no interest in purchasing. When the coverage resumes, barely a mention of the last sensational defensive action, just who are the batters and will they hit a home run. Hardly ever a replay of the double play or single "put-out."

The economics of the game are geared toward the sluggers, not the defensive players, and that's unfortunate.....Baseball is leaving half the game on the plate, unappreciated.
-Glove Gypsy
GloveGypsy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby cubfaithful » December 18th, 2008, 10:29 pm

Whatever kind of research is needed to keep fans and the players safe from all these busted bats is well worth it....I just hope "wood" bats will always remain in MLB. I've even heard a couple of announcers say they wouldn't be surprised to see safety-type glass being utilized to keep the fans safe. I like hockey but would hate to see the glass at a ballpark...and that still wouldn't keep the players safe....
cubfaithful
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool