"Don't put your hand in it"....

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

"Don't put your hand in it"....

Postby cubfaithful » November 29th, 2008, 1:53 pm

Hello,

I always assume that everyone who loves their gloves as much as we do, is as terrified as I am about somebody else putting their hand in it. My early 90's HOH's that I bought new have never had anyone else's hand in them. But I've had to be ever-vigilant to keep them "protected". No way is someone else gonna ruin my perfectly shaped glove or distort the perfectly sized finger stall's that seem to have been custom-made for my pudgy little hand. I've been this way since I was a kid. Some friends who like their glove, not "love" their glove think I'm a little obsessed with this.

Don't all of us say.... "Don't put your hand in it" ??
cubfaithful
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby wjr953 » November 29th, 2008, 5:38 pm

Last edited by wjr953 on December 6th, 2008, 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
wjr953

Postby jwoody » November 29th, 2008, 6:41 pm

Back in the day we would share our glove... If someone got a new glove he would let us use it..Our gloves were used to play with thats why we shared them...
3fingerwoody
jwoody
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby wickedwoman11 » November 29th, 2008, 8:05 pm

I'm with you. I had a friend who was admiring my buffalo glove and then she put her hand in it. I think I almost squeaked in protest. I found the best solution...I got her to get a Nokona buffalo glove of her own.

Although, once my mom tried it on also (much to my chagrin...as her nails are very long and I was sure she would scratch the interior -- mine are short, I play instruments and softball so long nails are out of the question). Of course, my Mom tried to put it on her RIGHT hand. :lol:
Alas, my glove is better than my game.
Gamer and most prized possession: Nokona Buffalo personalized with my name in script AMG175BF
The "Backup": 2009 Rawlings black GG12XTCB
wickedwoman11
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby cubfaithful » November 29th, 2008, 8:24 pm

Hello 3fingerwoody,

It sounds like you had a good thing goin' on with all the sharing, and I realize that many years ago the team that just left the field would leave the gloves on the grass at their positions for the other team to use.
But over the years I think the glove became a lot more personal to not just alot of the pro's, but to us kids that grew up watching them.
When I was a kid and someone bought a new glove...there was no way he was letting anyone else use it. My gloves were and still are used to play with.....but you cant use it.
cubfaithful
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby cubfaithful » November 29th, 2008, 8:44 pm

Hey wickedwoman11,

For some reason I had a feeling you would have a comment to make on this subject. I'm well aware of your passion for your glove(s), and I know you use them. I couldn't help but laugh at you describing your Mother and your glove....
cubfaithful
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby wjr953 » November 30th, 2008, 12:47 am

Last edited by wjr953 on December 6th, 2008, 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
wjr953

Postby jwoody » November 30th, 2008, 7:36 am

Please tell me why I can't use your glove? Anyone and everyone!!!! :(
3fingerwoody
jwoody
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby jwoody » November 30th, 2008, 8:37 am

PLEASE TELL YOUR FRIEND WHY HE CAN'T USE YOUR GLOVE? ANYONE....
3fingerwoody
jwoody
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby MVALZ » November 30th, 2008, 10:56 am

I played in a tournament last month and a guy I didn't know too well picked up my gamer in the dugout and slipped it on. He says 'Wow, nice Heart of the Hide'. He then pounds his fist into the pocket a few times...I'm OK with it at this point. He then starts to bend the thumb and push the fingers down and says, 'You just have to break it in this way with the fingers bent it'. At which point I grab him by the wrist hard enough to make my point. I quickly realized I probably didn't need to grab the guy, but I think he broke some Man laws by abusing my glove. We had a few laughs about it later over some adult beverages, but it still makes me cringe.
- A baseball glove is a beginning and an ending: a boy's first sure step towards manhood; a man's final, lingering hold on youth; it is promise...and memory.
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby baseballer935 » November 30th, 2008, 12:48 pm

I will let people use my old cheap gloves but when they ask to use my custom, I say no. I don't want anyones sweat or hand in my glove and I don't want them to break it in in any way.

-Kyle
"If you follow the crowd, you might just get lost in it."
baseballer935
Rookie Glove Poster

The Soul

Postby opticsp » November 30th, 2008, 1:03 pm

You know that Taoist say the palm of the hand is the way to the soul. They are careful not to shake hands and especially not to use other people's gloves.
opticsp
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby glovin » December 2nd, 2008, 3:21 am

hm...i only let people with small hands use my glove because i don't want people with huge hands stretch out the inside of the glove...but i mean, if it's a constant thing, then i can definitely see it becoming an issue
glovin
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Brotherray » December 2nd, 2008, 10:22 pm

Putting someone else's glove on isn't nearly as bad as when they start to re-shape it... And it seems like they ALWAYS want to re-shape it!!! :x
Brotherray
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby edingc » December 2nd, 2008, 11:47 pm

I was playing sockball the other day (wrap a sock tightly in duct tape, it plays like a baseball only it flutters and doesn't hurt) in my Baseball Coaching Theory class and we shared gloves because we didn't have enough.

The guy who used my glove had bigger hands than me and stretched out the glove a bit. I'll never let that happen again.
Cody Eding
edingc
Rookie Glove Poster

Next

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool