World Baseball Classic 2009

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

World Baseball Classic 2009

Postby Goldy the Gopher » November 21st, 2008, 3:46 pm

What are your thoughts on the World Baseball Classic.

I think it's a cool idea, but wish it wasn't so Americanized. It would be cool to see a final in Australia, or Venezuela.

Also it would be great if they did it either right after the World Series, or before spring training.
Goldy the Gopher
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Goldy the Gopher » December 6th, 2008, 6:28 pm

This tournament is now officially a joke, a novelty. Alex Rodriguez has "chosen" to play for Dominican Republic.

If Kobe Bryant "chose" to play for Italy, how much of a mockery would be made of him.

If the governing body wants this tournament to rival soccer's world cup, heres some advice: don't make it into such a novelty, by letting idiots like Alex Rodriguez switch countries. Can you imagine if David Beckham decided to play for the US. He would be lynched in England.
Goldy the Gopher
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Brotherray » December 6th, 2008, 8:11 pm

Goldy the Gopher wrote:This tournament is now officially a joke, a novelty. Alex Rodriguez has "chosen" to play for Dominican Republic.

If Kobe Bryant "chose" to play for Italy, how much of a mockery would be made of him.

If the governing body wants this tournament to rival soccer's world cup, heres some advice: don't make it into such a novelty, by letting idiots like Alex Rodriguez switch countries. Can you imagine if David Beckham decided to play for the US. He would be lynched in England.

Another A-Rod knock...

Piazza played for Italy and didin't take any flak. Where A-Rod plays doesn't take anything away from the game. It's a personal decision. I'm sure A-Rod's family is very proud he will be representing the DR where his family is originally from. This is a different situation than Kobe's.
Brotherray
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Goldy the Gopher » December 6th, 2008, 8:20 pm

^ I forgot about Piazza. That is a good point. I still think this classless because Rodriguez had already played for the US. Playing for your country should be the most honorable part of your career. To simply switch teams is an insult to the country that he represented.
Goldy the Gopher
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Yorick » December 7th, 2008, 2:32 am

I agree, you play for your country and it's an honor. He already made his decision in 2006, you can't go back to another country like that. To me you're dishonoring the previous country, the country he was born in and gave him all the opportunities to succeed...

He said he wanted to fullfil his mother's dream by playing for the Dominicans, but I think he made a big mistake. I like A-Rod as a player, but he has the tendency to rub a lot of people the wrong way.
Yorick
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Brotherray » December 7th, 2008, 2:45 am

I don't necessarily disagree that he should stick with the US. I do believe he is doing this to please his family as much as him showing pride in his heritage.

He's not renouncing his citizenship and he isn't breaking any rules by switching. I respect his decision. It's only a baseball game. My original point is that A-Rod's decision in no way diminishes the quality of the tournament, it only diminishes the chances that the US will win.
Brotherray
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Brotherray » December 7th, 2008, 2:49 am

I also believe that A-Rod should never again be permitted to represent the US in any other international competitions whether it be baseball, table tennis, or hop-scotch.
Brotherray
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby opticsp » December 7th, 2008, 2:08 pm

You Americans shouldn't get all worked up because you lost the best player in the world. In a world tournament it is all about fundamentals. Besides Venezuela's one two of Santana for 8 K-Rod for the save is gonna blow the world away! :twisted:
opticsp
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby sds416 » December 7th, 2008, 5:02 pm

We lost the best player in the world???? Really? Who is that???

If you are referring to A-Rod, I don't buy it.
sds416
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby sds416 » December 7th, 2008, 5:03 pm

Brotherray wrote:I don't necessarily disagree that he should stick with the US. I do believe he is doing this to please his family as much as him showing pride in his heritage.

He's not renouncing his citizenship and he isn't breaking any rules by switching. I respect his decision. It's only a baseball game. My original point is that A-Rod's decision in no way diminishes the quality of the tournament, it only diminishes the chances that the US will win.

Personally, given his selfish nature, I think it enhances the US chances of winning. I'll take David Wright at 3rd over A-Rod in this situaiton.
sds416
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby opticsp » December 7th, 2008, 9:11 pm

sds:

I am with you about DWright (I am a Mets fan), and I am not huge fan of ARod. However, when it is all over ARod will have the greatest numbers on the planet. He will be going after Oh's home run record. He is a good defensive player and if you read the press about him, sure he is a geek, but his teamates love him. Whether it was Seattle, Texas or New York, ARod is 100% team guy and his teammates' words are the proof.

Look, I hate ARod but I doubt that he does not want to win as much as anyone. He just chokes, that's all. It is easy to hate the best player in the game, but I'll take him on my team any day and I think you would be lying to yourself if you say you wouldn't.

That's all.

I'm looking for DWright to hit the game winner in the finals against Cuba!
opticsp
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool