I'd like your thoughts on great sports rivalries...

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Postby fuzzydogg22 » November 20th, 2008, 6:58 pm

cubsrno1 wrote:Cubsfaithful, I'll have to disagree with you. I don't consider the Cubs and Whitesox as a rivarly. They only play each other during inter-league. Don't get me wrong, I don't like and don't cheer for the Sox. Now that being said, Cubs-Cardinals. Now thats a rivarly. I have been to those games and the fans really get into it. Nothing gives me more satisfaction than beating the Redbirds and specially their manager.

i can tell we are gonna be friends :roll: haha. but yes, such a good rivalry. always fun to watch too
"You should always go to other people's funerals; otherwise, they won't come to yours." -Yogi Berra
fuzzydogg22
Gold Glove Poster

Postby cubfaithful » November 20th, 2008, 8:58 pm

ebbets55, yes I have heard of whitesox fans saying Cub fans are of the "wine and brie crowd" along with many other incorrect and not -so-nice references...if you know what I mean. Anyway I'm glad to hear you had so much fun at Wrigley. What a great place to be on a warm sunny day!
cubfaithful
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby cubfaithful » November 20th, 2008, 9:36 pm

cubsrno1, your absolutely right, the Cubs and Cardinals are a great rivalry. But after they play their 3 game series the Cardinals and their fans go away until the next series. The Cubs and Whitesox only play against each other a few times - I realize that, but they compete against each other virtually everyday during the season...they compete for winningest record, longest winning streak, overall fan support(attendence), media coverage. You and I live amongst sox fans every day and have to listen to them EVERYDAY. We have to listen to the Sox G.M. wish the Cubs and us fans Happy 100th anniversary for cryin' out loud!! It might be a different kind of rivalry - but it most definitely is a rivalry.
cubfaithful
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby ristankor » November 23rd, 2008, 11:13 pm

I've been a Cubs fan since 1970, and a diehard at that (put it this way: I have always considered Harry Carey a White Sox Broadcaster, never a Cub guy. Jack Brickhouse all the way!), and my favorite rivalry is still the Cubs and Mets.
When they played each other on a regular basis -no longer the case, thanks to interleague play :x -you could sense the very real dislike between them (the '84 season especially).
Man, those were good games! A favorite memory; Keith Moreland tackling Ed Lynch after getting plunked.
I don't like the White Sox-more to the point, I could care less about them.
But the Mets?
Hate 'em.
(Don't like their fans either, buncha lousy Noo Yawk Mooks. :twisted: )
ristankor
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby cubfaithful » November 24th, 2008, 12:53 am

Hi ristankor, the mets....I cant help but think of the 69 season - yes, I still think about it and it still hurts. But what a great season to be a 13 year old! I liked Jack Brickhouse too, along with Lloyd Pettit and Lou Boudreau. I can still hear the sports writers in the background workin' there typewriters. Someone on this forum has said Brickhouse was boring but I never thought so. He loved the Cubs and the game. I remember the Lynch-Moreland incident...that was classic. My favorite confrontations back then(69) was between the Cubs relief pitcher Phil Regan and Pete Rose, not much on the physical side but lots of glaring and definite "language"(Rose actually thought Regan was throwin' spitters(I think he was) and that went on for a long time. Your right about the Cubs - Mets though, that was a great rivalry.
cubfaithful
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mike_2007 » November 24th, 2008, 2:41 pm

I was a Mets fan in 1973- people really fired up after the Bud Harrelson / Pete Rose fight:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... 40883/pg_2

Reds outfielders were not safe in the Shea outfield afterwards! All sorts of flying objects were thrown at them including knives!
Mike_2007
Gold Glove Poster

Postby rmiller » November 25th, 2008, 9:50 pm

Well the BYU/Utah game, AKA "The Holy War" was great. I went with my brother, who is also a Utah alum. We arrived at the stadium about 2 hours before kickoff to just to enjoy the atmosphere.

It was pretty civil between fans, although there were a few incidents but nothing major. A skirmish broke out between the teams before kickoff which really got the stadium going even more. The Utah Seniors were being introduced with their parents, and BYU took the field in the middle of that ceremony. BYU showed no class by doing what they did. And the fight broke out as a result.

The game was great. Utah scored 10 points late in the first half to take a 27-17 lead into the locker room. It was close for most of the 3rd quarter, but BYU just fell apart in the 4th, and the Utes took advantage and pulled away. The BYU fans were upset that the Utes punched it in from the 1 yard line late, with Brian Johnson still in the game.

They felt that the Utes were unnecessarily running up the score. Yeah, this complaining from fans whose team beat UCLA 59-0 and Wyoming 44-0! Gimmee a break. We are going to a BCS game while the Cougars go to the Las Vegas Bowl, or Poinsettia Bowl or some other bowl in the middle of December.

What a great night!

Give us the gate key. I have no gate key.
Fezzik, tear his arms off. Oh, you mean this gate key!
rmiller
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby english baseball nut » May 3rd, 2009, 5:08 pm

gotta say in english football one of the worst ive seen is arsenal Vs tottenham or millwall Vs chelsea fights always end up happening in those games.
minnesota twins all the way
english baseball nut
Rookie Glove Poster

Previous

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool