Rawlings Fleetfoot Spikes Kangaroo leather

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Rawlings Fleetfoot Spikes Kangaroo leather

Postby cubanball » November 11th, 2008, 2:17 am

Hello!

Just wanted to say that I bought a pair of 1960's Rawlings Fleetfoot Spikes and had them restored by a cobbler and they look awesome!
Now the question.
Does anyone out there know the story of the Fleetfoot. This was the Spike of choice throughout the late 50's and the entire 60's.
Does anyone know any information on these shoes. Why are they so scarce now if there were thousands upon thousands of pairs sold?
Was the Kangaroo leather banned?
Please let me know.
cubanball
Rookie Glove Poster

Old Yellowbacks

Postby softball66 » November 11th, 2008, 2:08 pm

I think the Kangaroo leather cleats have been around for years, back to 1930s and 1920s and were nicknamed yellowbacks, because, I believe, that the tongue when peeled back was yellow in color as this was the unfinished side and left or maybe dyed that color.
Why not more around? Probably because not to many people wanted "smelly" old shoes of any type around, especially from sweaty ballplayers.
Might be opportunities to buy these mint or mint in boxes as this is the way I've gotten several pair of cleats (1950s).
I've heard the old stories of teams, when the season was over and players were cleaning out their lockers before leaving for off season, would pitch undershirts, practice pants, sliding pads, shoes, jocks, caps and yes, even gloves in the trash bin.
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby MVALZ » November 14th, 2008, 7:59 pm

I have a pair of Spot Bilt Kangaroos in my collection. Leather is nice and soft with a thick Goodyear Welt outsole. Classic tag sewn under tongue...beauties.
- A baseball glove is a beginning and an ending: a boy's first sure step towards manhood; a man's final, lingering hold on youth; it is promise...and memory.
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool