ring bat

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

ring bat

Postby mushroomknob » October 27th, 2008, 10:33 am

I picked this up yesterday.38 inch ring bat made by lyman and curtiss of new york.Cracked and repaired with the old square nails

mushroomknob
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » October 27th, 2008, 11:58 am

cool bat! glad the picking is still good out in New York state.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby wjr953 » October 29th, 2008, 11:04 am

That is a really cool bat. I'm reminded of a bat one of the neighbor kids had when I was growing up. I was about 8 yrs. old at the time, so this was almost 50 yrs. ago. He referred to it as his "Hawaiian" bat. I don't remember where he said he got it, but it was very unusual. The last foot or so of the barrel, was carved very intricately with pineapple shapes and palm trees, and the carvings were painted in bright colors which really contrasted with the black bat. We used it to play baseball games in the street, with a rubber ball, that is at least until the ball was lost in the yard of one of our unfriendly neighbors, or when it ended up in the local sewer. lol If the rubber balls went in the sewer, we just left them there and the game was over until we got another one. Occasionally, we'd play catch with hardballs in the street, and if those balls went in the sewer, we'd crowbar the manhole covers off and retrieve them with a special hole digging shovel that my Dad had in the cellar. That had to be done fast though, because a) the ball could end up waterlogged if we waited too long and more importantly, b) we didn't want our Moms or Dads to catch us fishing balls out of the sewer!! I can't even imagine the germs and the bacteria, ugh!! Ahh, the wonderful days of our youth.

br
wjr953

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool