Autumn Baseball and My "Need" for a New Glove

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Autumn Baseball and My "Need" for a New Glove

Postby Cowboy7130 » September 21st, 2008, 1:02 am

Well, playoff baseball is just around the corner and the truth is, my Rangers no longer interest me (as usual), so I am in the process of trying to decide which team to root for in October. I am leaning toward the Cubs, simply because I am not so independent a fan as to avoid the bandwagon experience, and I wouldn't mind seeing the end of another curse in my lifetime.

Now, I know that February is traditional "gotta getta new glove" season for most of us diamond guys, but am I the only one that starts getting new glove fever during the fall? Sure, I guess you could say I have new glove fever year-round, and would never turn down an opportunity to acquire quality leather, but now the itch is even stronger. Maybe it is because the "Baseball Tonight" highlights are a little sharper, the throws a bit crisper and the catches more meaningful as the regular season begins to wane, that I find myself watching the screen with my old OR 520 on my hand and pounding my fist into it with a litte more "pop," myself. Or maybe I start thinking playoff baseball and get a little more fired up for my son's season next spring, and I start thinking about getting him a new glove, and hey, as long as I am buying one ...

Or is this the time of year when real ballplayers start looking for their new gamers? I am not a real ballplayer and never was one, but sometimes I find myself identifying with them, at least when it comes to some glove shopping.

I guess the only way to scratch this itch is to buy a new glove ... dang it ... :wink:
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Autumn it is!

Postby oldreliable » September 21st, 2008, 9:08 am

Hello Cowboy,

Autumn is the best time to get a new glove. You want that baby broken in by spring. You can wear the glove on your hand all winter so that its shape conforms to your hand. By spring, it will be as if it has been with you all your life.

And since you do have the urge to get a new glove in the fall or any time of year frankly, there is a real ballplayer in you somewhere.

If you have that itch, that says it all.

John,
Ithaca, NY
oldreliable
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby edingc » September 21st, 2008, 10:37 am

Trust me, the urge to buy a new glove is mutual.

The combination of this forum and October baseball has me wanting a new glove as well.
Cody Eding
edingc
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Goldy the Gopher » September 29th, 2008, 7:53 pm

welcome to every day of my life. PS if you're looking to root for a team this fall make it the Twins.
Goldy the Gopher
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby glovemedic » September 29th, 2008, 9:37 pm

Goldy the Gopher wrote:welcome to every day of my life. PS if you're looking to root for a team this fall make it the Twins.

Or the Brew Crew! I am watching the Twinkies tomorrow. Go Gardy!
Chuck Faulkner
The Glove Medic
Tazewell, TN 37879

http://www.glovemedic.com
glovemedic
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool