Did Sabathia get robbed of a no-hitter?

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Did Sabathia get robbed of a no-hitter?

Postby rmiller » September 1st, 2008, 10:35 am

I’ve seen the replay several times, and I really think the official score could have gone either way. In Milwaukee that’s an error, on the road it’s a hit. I don’t agree with Ned Yost, that Laroche would have been out by 10 feet if Sabathia fields the ball cleanly. Even if CC fields it cleanly, it would have been very close at first. No way MLB should overturn it at this point. It would be tainted. They should just leave it alone.

Where am I wrong?
Give us the gate key. I have no gate key.
Fezzik, tear his arms off. Oh, you mean this gate key!
rmiller
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby opticsp » September 1st, 2008, 1:24 pm

My feeling is that if it would have been any other infielder going for the ball and booting it, the play should have been called an error. Since it was Sabathia going for the ball and ruining his own game, give the guy a hit.

On the other had, Sabathia booted it so it should have been called an error.
opticsp
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Cowboy7130 » September 1st, 2008, 10:57 pm

A pitcher is still a player and has to field his position. The ball was bobbled and bumbled and booted, so I would have scored it an error immediately. To me, it is only an infield hit if a runner beats a throw.
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Brotherray » September 2nd, 2008, 12:57 am

I've heard that an unwritten rule for official scorers is the very first hit a team gets must be clear and undisputed to avoid scrutiny like this after the game. In my humble opinion it was an error but to overturn it now would take credibility away from the game.
Brotherray
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby oldballfan » September 2nd, 2008, 12:49 pm

Should have been ruled an error, as Cowboy said, a pitcher still needs to field his position.
George Frazier, pitcher 1978 - 1987......
I don't put any foreign substances on the baseball. Everything I use is from the good old U.S.A.
oldballfan
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby wjr953 » September 5th, 2008, 10:20 am

I've seen this replay a number of times from a number of different angles. I've got to agree with the official scorer on this one. My question is this, why did he give up on the play? If you see the replay from the 3B angle, it looked like he still had plenty of time to pick the ball up and throw it to 1B. It probably would have been a close play, but it looks like he at least had a chance.

br
wjr953

Postby Cusser » October 8th, 2008, 3:15 pm

I'd call it error. And I'm originally from Pittsburgh. No-hitter.
Cusser
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool