Baseball Movie Trivia

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Baseball Movie Trivia

Postby softball66 » August 30th, 2008, 3:54 pm

Choosing the hall of fame players gloves in another post, gave me this idea: I'll give you the actor/stars and you give me the player he portrays:
Gary Cooper
Tommy Lee Jones
William Bendix
Ronald Reagan
Jimmy Stewart
the easy ones

Now what "represented" player did Tom Hanks play, his character was loosely based on this hall of famer?
:?: :?: :?:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby ebbets55 » August 30th, 2008, 4:42 pm

I love this stuff Joe.

Gary Cooper - Lou Gehrig
Tommy Lee Jones - Ty Cobb
William Bendix - Babe Ruth
Ronald Reagan - Grover Cleveland Alexander
Jimmy Stewart - Monty Stratton

Jimmy Dugan as Jimmy Foxx.

How about:

Edward J. Robinson
Dan Dailey
Anthony Perkins
William Haines
Ramon Bieri
Edward Herrmann
Billy Dee Williams (fictional)

JD
ebbets55

Postby ebbets55 » August 30th, 2008, 4:43 pm

Sorry, Edward G. Robinson, not J. I collect baseball movies.

JD
ebbets55

Postby drzubia8 » August 30th, 2008, 4:52 pm

what a riot! how about that award winning performance by william bendix as babe :roll: i especially like "the called shot" scene.
if only there was an emoticon with a guy sticking his finger down his throat.
drzubia8
Veteran Glove Poster

Say it Ain't So Joe

Postby softball66 » August 30th, 2008, 5:45 pm

... thought this would bring a little participation and it IS fun J. D.. Off the top of my head: Perkins-Piersall, Dailey-Dizzy Dean.
If I recall, Bendix really campaigned for the Ruth part but turned out over-the-top hammy in his performance. Cooper was no Gehrig, awkward batting and throwing and being right handed didn't help. I understand they had to shoot his action scenes with reverse negative to get it right or "left" for Cooper's action.
Dave Bushing furnished a lot of the vintage gloves used for "League of Their Own" production. He regrets to this day not getting some of his gloves back.
Of course Ray Liotta got to play Shoeless Joe in "Field of Dreams" and D. B. Sweeney in "Eight Men Out."
I've got Sweeney's autograph on a baseball glove along with the actors Matthew Modine, Eric Stolz, Billy Zane and others from the film, "Memphis Belle," made in England.
softball66

Postby robin_buckeye » August 30th, 2008, 11:40 pm

Tom Hanks played "Max Carey".

Bad as Bendix was, Goodman was even worse as the Babe -- I didn't even finish that movie.

Also, I think that Bendix and Ruth were friends.
robin_buckeye
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Cowboy7130 » August 31st, 2008, 12:29 am

ebbets55 wrote:How about:

Billy Dee Williams (fictional)

JD

Bingo Long?
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Postby ebbets55 » August 31st, 2008, 12:42 am

If you thought Bendix was bad as the Babe, then you have to see Perkins play Piersall. A right-handed thrower who stepped with his right foot when he threw. He seemed to act the part, not play it. The baseball scenes were awkward.

I would have thought you would have gotten the Edward G. Robinson movie Joe. He played Hans Lobert. You are right on the others. William Haines played King Kelly in "Slide Kelly Slide". Bieri played Ruth and Herrmann played Gehrig in "A Love Affair: The Eleanor and Lou Gehrig Story". Billy Dee played Bingo Long in "The Bingo Long Travelling All-Stars and Motor Kings" a classic movie about the negro leagues with Richard Pryor and James Earl Jones.

I would have sworn Jimmy Dugan played Jimmy Foxx, not Max Carey. I thought that because in the last scene of the movie when they showed his picture in Cooperstown he had 534 home runs, the same as Foxx. Was I mistaken all these years? Love that flick.

JD
ebbets55

Eddie G. as Lobert?

Postby softball66 » September 1st, 2008, 7:02 am

JD

When Edward G. Robinson played Hans Lobert, was that when he yelled out,
"Where's Your Moses, now?!"
I thing the character "Jimmy", the manager in LOTOwn represented Foxx, though Max Carey was the actual real-life manager of the Peaches I believe. I think there's the confusion. Remember the scene where Jimmy is driving the ball in a batting practice.
Funny Perkins played a basketball player in a movie with Jane Fonda early in his career too. Sort of miscast till he found himself as Norman B.
:roll:
softball66

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool