McGreevy's 3rd Base Saloon - Boston

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

McGreevy's 3rd Base Saloon - Boston

Postby vintagebrett » August 13th, 2008, 11:23 am

Yesterday my brother and I headed up to Boston for what turned out to be a football game between the Red Sox and Rangers. Before the game, we went to McGreevy's 3rd Base Saloon, which is supposedly the oldest sports bar. They have tons of cool memorabilia and pictures throughout the entire bar. Although the food was pretty bad (my brother said the libations were excellent) it is a neat place to visit. There are tons of pictures and three gloves in the place. Unfortnately, the most interesting one is behind glass and turned the wrong way. I mean, c'mon, if you have a buckle back full web fielders glove you need to put it so everyone can see the buckle!!!

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Number9 » August 13th, 2008, 12:13 pm

I'm looking forward to getting over there one of these days. I've been hearing rumors of it re-opening for about a year, it finally did a couple months back. It's a short stumble from my condo but I'm embarrassed to say I've yet to see it.

The bar, and the claim, is an interesting story. The original was located in Roxbury and was the birthplace of the royal rooters. It closed at the start of prohibition. This version is a reincarnation. Peter Nash is the owner and collector who, as far as I can tell from pictures, really put together a faithful recreation of the original. I heard that he had a version of it in Cooperstown a few years back, but that might be hearsay. I go a few times a year and never saw it. Either way, I'm glad it's in Boston.

Fun facts about Peter Nash. He used to be Prime Minister Pete Nice in the 90's rap trio 3rdBass, now he owns McGreevey's 3rd Base Saloon. He's also a native New Yorker (Mets fan) who now owns a Red Sox bar in Boston. This guy's pretty rangy.
Number9
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby MVALZ » August 13th, 2008, 4:51 pm

Any time you guys want to have a Glove meeting there guys, I'm in 8)
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » August 13th, 2008, 5:06 pm

Next time you win the Monster Seat lottery you can take us all and we'll go there before the game! :lol:
vintagebrett
Site Admin

gloves in restaurants

Postby Bravosin99 » August 13th, 2008, 9:31 pm

Brett-

That glove looks pretty sweet, although a little rough...Wonder what they would say if you offered to buy it?

I have also seen gloves and photos in some bars...There was a bar when I visited West Chester PA in late July of this year that had some real real early photos...I remember one had about five players wearing crescents...With a few beers in me I wanted to take it off the wall and home with me but I resisted :D ...I also saw a nice looking 30-40's glove in a case in the Harry Caray Restaurant in the Midway airport...I remember I called dad to tell him and he told me to ask to buy it but I was a little shy about it back then lol...

Anyway cool stuff, still wish I will get to make it out to the Boston area sometime!........Josh
Bravosin99
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool