Kevin Mitchell autographed bat, and a cool story...

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Kevin Mitchell autographed bat, and a cool story...

Postby rmiller » June 24th, 2008, 1:10 am

In the year 2000, I was a student at Dixie State College in St. George, Utah, and working for the Zion Pioneerzz, of the independent, Western Baseball League. Kevin Mitchell, still hanging on, played for the Valley Vipers, of Scottsdale Arizona.

The Vipers came to St. George for a series, and I was down on the field during BP, grounds crew prep, etc. I was waiting for just the right moment, and I took it when Mitchell was by himself. I asked him to sign the bat, as I had it, and a black Sharpie all ready. He graciously signed it.

But then, we stood there for about 15-20 minutes-just me and him. I asked him about the 10th inning of game 6 the ’86 World Series (sorry Red Sox nation). Mitchell told me as he walked up to the plate, he convinced himself that was not going to be the final out the end the series. He told me the well documented story of how he and Calvin Schiraldi were roommates in the minors a few years earlier.

One night, Mitchell asked Schiraldi, how he would pitch him. If I remember correctly, (it’s been a while) Schiraldi told him he would start him with a fastball, then a curve ball. Mitchell remembered that discussion as he stood at the plate. Sure enough, Schiraldi pitched to him just as he said he would. After fouling off the first pitch, Mitchell was expecting the curve ball, and singled to center. I asked him what it was like to score the tying run, on Stanley’s wild pitch. He told me it was unbelievable, and he remembered the crowd going crazy, and the dugout went nuts. It was electric, he said.

Anyway, we talked about the ’89 World Series with the earthquake, winning the ROY, MVP, and his famous bare-handed grab as well. It was such a thrill to be able to spend that much time alone with a former big-leaguer of his caliber, with those amazing stories.

And he signed my bat!

Sorry to be so long-winded. But I just had to tell the story behind the bat. Thanks for listening. I am having trouble posting the pix, but here are the links. The experience was much cooler than the bat itself.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jeheanahee/ ... 2227632690
http://picasaweb.google.com/jeheanahee/ ... 2138260258
Give us the gate key. I have no gate key.
Fezzik, tear his arms off. Oh, you mean this gate key!
rmiller
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool