Best Baseball Music?

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Best Baseball Music?

Postby Cowboy7130 » March 11th, 2008, 12:00 am

OK, y'all, V-Brett gave me an idea with his response in the movie and book forum ... Best Baseball Songs!

For years and years I have worked local Little League games and tournaments as an announcer. I can make any kid think he is being announced in a professional ballpark with a voice somewhere between Bob Sheppard and Michael Buffer. A year or two into it, I started taking my CD's down to the park and playing songs between innings. Another big hit! Of course, since I was the DJ, I got to play my faves, and put the ix-nay on stuff I didn't think belonged in a Little League ballpark. (Admittedly, I may have overdone some songs ... to this day, my 16-yr-old son hears the first few measures of "Sweet Home Alabama" and goes into his batting stance! :lol: )

So tell me ... what songs do you like to hear at the ballpark? Here is a short list of some of my personal favorites:

1. "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" - timeless, feel-good, corny but lovable and ubiquitous 7th inning stretch song.
2. "Centerfield," by Creedence Clearwater Revival. "Put me in, Coach!/I'm ready to play! Today!" Are there any better lyrics to describe the excitement of game day?
3. "Back Home in Omaha," by Todd Thibaud, the theme song on ESPN for the College World Series. This song answers the question I posed in Number 2 ... These lyrics are even better!
4. "Cheap Seats" by Alabama. Great fan experience song!
5. "Jessica," by the Allman Brothers Band. Upbeat, rockin' twin guitars!
6. "Sweet Home Alabama," by Lynyrd Skynyrd. Great pregame music!
7. "Rock and Roll Part 2- The Hey Song," by Gary Glitter. Trite and overused and abused, I know, but I still like to hear it when the home team hero doubles in the lead run and chases the opposing starter off the mound!

OK, there you go ... just my two cents' worth, and I won't even charge you! :lol:
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Deacon » March 11th, 2008, 7:00 am

This brings me back to the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWKA9Zi5-_Y

Talkin' Baseball - Terry Cashman
Deacon
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » March 11th, 2008, 7:34 am

It's always fun going to Fenway and hearing Sweet Caroline sung by the entire stadium.

Talkin' Baseball by Terry Cashman is a great song as well but the Simpsons Parody - Talkin Softball - is fantastic. Going off topic again, but if you haven't seen the Simpsons episode where Burns recruits the professional baseball players for his softball team, you need to check it out - it is one of the funniest episodes ever!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Sweet Caroline

Postby Cowboy7130 » March 11th, 2008, 11:02 am

At one of the local universities, "Sweet Caroline" brings everyone to their feet for an impromptu dance, and some really hilarious hand motions that go along with "touching me - touching you."
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Sweet Caroline on YouTube

Postby Cowboy7130 » March 11th, 2008, 11:16 am

some great videos on YouTube of "Sweet Caroline" at Fenway.
Makes me REALLY want to get out of work early for my son's baseball game this afternoon!
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Centerfield

Postby robin_buckeye » March 11th, 2008, 12:35 pm

I used a few (30-40) still photos of my two sons playing ball to make videos. The background music for one is "Centerfield" by John Fogarty (he did this after CCR broke up) the other is "Forever Young" by Rod Stewart.

I can't watch either of them without a tear coming to my eye.
robin_buckeye
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby offsidewing » April 17th, 2008, 12:15 pm

Talkin' Softball from the Simpson's is great. The episode itself is fantastic. Barney and Wade Boggs debating English history "Lord Palmerson" "Pitt the Elder"

Actually, while not really a song, more of a movie score, the theme from "The Natural" gives me goosebumps everytime I think of it or hear it. It's matched to one of the most fantastic scenes in Hollywood.
Aim for the corners and let the middle take care of itself.
offsidewing
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby sixpointone » April 18th, 2008, 7:42 am

I love the Soundtrack for Field of Dreams. I find it to be very relaxing and allows my mind to drift back in time to remember my youngger years playing Baseball.
sixpointone
Rookie Glove Poster

Through the Turnstiles

Postby Mike**Mize » May 3rd, 2008, 11:25 am

For an oddball selection from an unexpected source, I've always like Neil Young's "For the Turnstiles" on his old On the Beach album from years ago. Love those haunting melodies. :D
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » May 20th, 2008, 7:25 pm

Building on the Neil Young theme, check out this new project from Scott McCaughey, Peter Buck, Steve Wynn and Linda Pitmon.

http://store.yeproc.com/album.php?id=13465

Album doesn't come out until July but you can listen to a stream of the album via the link. Super cool tunes from some super cool guys (and gal).
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Centerfield

Postby Catch2575 » May 23rd, 2008, 5:52 pm

( deleted )
Last edited by Catch2575 on April 13th, 2009, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catch2575

Postby dwags4him » May 23rd, 2008, 5:55 pm

'Jump' - Van Halen.....it became the theme song for the '84 Cubs....still can hear it before a day game at Wrigley.

'Go Cubs Go' (I think this is the popular title) - A Cubs fan who succumbed to cancer in the mid 80's.

"Hey Chicago whatya' say, the Cubs are going to win today."

Incredible to hear 42,000 singing it, like Sweet Caroline.
David Wagner
Play It Again Sports Northbrook
847-564-9180

I service all gloves brought to PIAS Schaumburg, Villa Park, Oak Lawn, and Northbrook.

847-899-5423 [Cell]
dwags4him
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Cusser » June 12th, 2008, 2:56 pm

1967 WS Champs SL Cardinals song was "A Fistful of Dollars" by Ennio Morricone. And 1979 WS Champs Pirates had Sister Sledge and "We are Family".
Cusser
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby ristankor » June 16th, 2008, 5:30 pm

Two more:
"Kerosene Man" by Steve Wynn
"Where's That Hit ?" by Hoodoo Gurus (the best baseball song from a 1980's Aussie garage-rock band).
ristankor
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Studboy » June 16th, 2008, 8:58 pm

That brings back memories...The Hoodoo Gurus came to our campus & opened for the Bangles "Walk like an Egyptian" back in the mid to late 80's. Hey, that was just before I started collecting gloves, do you suppose they subliminaly started my glove collecting with that song?
Studboy
Veteran Glove Poster

Next

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool