Any Card Collectors Out There?

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Any Card Collectors Out There?

Postby Cowboy7130 » March 6th, 2008, 11:23 am

Again, kind of off the topic of gloves ...

Are there any of you guys who are baseball card collectors? I would like to start collecting some of the cards from some of my mini-HOF collection of gloves ... you know, display the card inside the pocket of the glove, something like that ... Any of you guys do something like that?
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

I still do a little bit

Postby oldreliable » March 6th, 2008, 8:01 pm

Hi Cowboy7130,

I used to collect baseball cards like a maniac when I was younger. I occasionally buy a few packs here and there. Last year, I bought some of the Topps Opening Day 2007 card packs. They started putting gum in those packs. Man, the smell of the gum wafting up from the cards took me back twenty-five years at least. The smell of gum on cards and the smell of neatsfoot oil on leather are the two smells of my childhood that take me right back.

A few months ago, a friend gave me about 200 1978 Topps baseball cards. I have found them to be a great way to date certain ballglove styles. Ah, that web was already present by 1978, etc., I see.

I want to gather a bunch of cards from the '50s, '60s, '70s, and early '80s as a way to date Wilson A2000 glove developments. That's the model I love the most. This could be a good way for me to justify buying more baseball cards....

John
oldreliable
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby drasher81 » March 6th, 2008, 9:29 pm

I have always collected both cards and gloves but with cards prefer to work on sets my last was 1961 topps now working on 1933 goudey
drasher81

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool