Baseball Board Game ?

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Baseball Board Game ?

Postby Moonlight Graham » January 8th, 2008, 1:39 pm

I'm looking for a cool baseball board game to play with my team on rainy days. I thought a board game might help them better understand the rules.
Do you have any you could recommend to me? I've seen several models on eBay, like APBA Baseball Game or Cadaco All Star Baseball Game but I've never played with any of them (as you all probably remember, I'm French) so I haven't got any clue as to which is the best suited for my purpose.

I'm sure some of you have played with that kind of games with their kids. So which one would you recommend?
Moonlight Graham
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » January 8th, 2008, 1:51 pm

Stratomatic baseball was the best! We played this when I was in middle school all the time. I wonder if they still make it.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Moonlight Graham » January 8th, 2008, 5:54 pm

Thanks. I've searched eBay and there are two for sale: 280190116736 and 370010593334. How do you play ?
Moonlight Graham
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » January 8th, 2008, 6:08 pm

You pick a team and then set a line up (this will be actual major league players). On the players card there are scenarios that will happen when you roll the dice. The better players, you have a better statistical chance of getting a hit, etc. It's almost like being a manager of a team - you set the line up, make the pitching changes, etc. It's been awhile since I played but it was fun.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Old Gloves In Decatur » January 8th, 2008, 10:25 pm

I agree Strat-o-matic is the best of the dice games. My best friend growing up had it and it is really detailed. APBA is also a dice game, my family played this game because my older brother got a set in 1966. We wore those cards out! APBA is not as in depth as far as situations,like stealing,pitch-outs, hit and run. But for newcomers, it's fine.
Old Gloves In Decatur
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Old Gloves In Decatur » January 8th, 2008, 11:00 pm

I checked in my basement for my APBA game. I still have it! I also have about 500 random loose cards you can have if you want them. They are not separated into teams, so I guess you could let the kids pick their own teams. You will need to get the playing boards and some dice and you will be all set! Check ebay #160196232612. That is everything but the cards. Let me know! Take care, Kevin
Old Gloves In Decatur
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Moonlight Graham » January 9th, 2008, 4:33 am

Thanks for your kind offer. I'm studying all the possibilities and want to make sure I get the most realistic board game. So I'll trust your word if you say Strat-O-matic is the one I'm looking for. I saw there was a Deluxe Edition on eBay (280190725954). What do you think of it? Is it possible to use other baseball cards to play this game?
Moonlight Graham
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Old Gloves In Decatur » January 9th, 2008, 1:50 pm

If you are looking for the most realistic game then S.O.M. is the way to go. You wont want to mix and match cards from other games,it will be confusing enough at the start. Good Luck, Kevin
Old Gloves In Decatur
Rookie Glove Poster

Baseball Board games

Postby Tigerman » January 9th, 2008, 3:59 pm

As you are finding out, there are lots of different board games available related to baseball. You have gotten many great suggestions. Besides collecting baseball gloves, I am a collector of sports baseball games. I have a baseball board game from 1918, a tiddily winks baseball game from the 30's, a variety of other baseball board games and even an example of a 1960's electric baseball game made in this area (Holyoke, MA). One of the newer baseball games out there is called SportsClix. They have a website that gives you all the information about the game. It has these small figures of current and past MLB players which are used as game pieces. I have some extra figures that I could give you. I haven't played the game yet, but the figures are kind of cool. So let me know if you decide on this game.
Tigerman
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Moonlight Graham » January 12th, 2008, 11:54 am

You're right Tigerman! The little game pieces definitely look cool! I think the game also looks more appealing for young players. I found several sets available on eBay, and I think I'll go for this one first. Thanks for your advice ! :D
Moonlight Graham
Veteran Glove Poster

Use Whiffle balls for teaching

Postby coachgrumpy » April 12th, 2008, 8:24 pm

On rainy days, we practice under the eaves, outdoors in the hallways at our local junior high school. We use whiffle balls for teaching and reinforcing situations with the boys.

We place our players in their defensive positions approx 5-10 feet apart (depending on space available) and the coach will describe the situation, ie 0ne out, man on first. Then we throw the ball to the one of the fielders and have him tell us where he needs to throw it and then he throws it. This make the players use several senses at the same time to help reinforce the lesson. They have to think about their next move, they have to describe what they are going to do, and they physically have to do it.

I learned that trick from a chemistry professor. We had to read the formulas from the board, say them aloud as a class, and then write them down. Visual, Aural, and Physical repetition for learning. If anyone failed chemistry, it was because they tried to fail.
coachgrumpy
Rookie Glove Poster

Roger Maris Baseball

Postby rrivets » May 16th, 2008, 8:20 am

I have a Roger Maris Baseball game but it's been so long that I forgot how to play it. I'll have to bring it out and read the instructions again. It is a board game though, came out probably in 61 or 62 when he was going for Ruths record. Good luck finding some other games. They did have a cool baseball game in bars where you are the batter and have to hit the ball to a different level to get a single or double or the best the home run. I'll bet there are some laying around places that sell used pinball machines. Good luck.
rrivets
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool