How to spend an autumn Sunday afternoon

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

How to spend an autumn Sunday afternoon

Postby Cowboy7130 » November 19th, 2007, 12:23 am

Well, the Texas High School Football Playoffs are in full swing, the Cowboys are making a serious run at the playoffs, and everybody is talking pigskin, pigskin, pigskin, and I couldn't care less.

I spent the afternoon with my son and some of his high school baseball team teammates in a local college batting cage. I threw until my arm was aching and sweat was pouring down my face (about 5 minutes :oops: ) and I was very happy. My son was the proud recipient this week of a new bamboo wood bat that has a lot of pop, and he rocketed a bunch right back up the middle at me. (Check out Mad Dog Bamboo Bats at www.maddogbats.com - an unsolicited testimonial from a satisfied customer.) The "crack" of the bat is SO much more satisfying than the "ping" of the bat. He and his teammates threw, we worked on some first-base drills for a new kid who is a lefty and wants to learn to play first, and we pitched off the indoor mound for a few pitches. We stared longingly at the verdant outfield; alas, we have been told to stay off the new winter rye for a while longer.

I took my Rawlings GGP-200-4 with the modified trap web. The ball settled into my hand solidly with a pleasant smack on each throw I caught. The glove is conforming nicely to my hand; I am now a huge fan of the Gold Glove series.

Everybody hit and threw to their hearts' content, and afterwards I took them all to Sonic for cherry-lime slushes. Only then did a silly argument about football break out in the backseat; the new kid had to gloat a little about Texas Tech - he is a big fan.

What a wonderful day ... 8) They are all looking forward to next Sunday, and so am I! I think I'll take my customized OR520 Dale Murphy ... or maybe the 12" R7 that still needs breaking in ... or maybe ...
Yes, I still have my first glove.
Cowboy7130
Gold Glove Poster

Batting Cages

Postby robin_buckeye » November 19th, 2007, 1:31 pm

Yes, I've been taking my sons and some of their friends to the batting cages once every couple of weeks just to keep in practice. I usually take a few swings myself.
robin_buckeye
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Moonlight Graham » November 19th, 2007, 5:46 pm

Will you take me for the ride next Sunday ? How I wish I could spend a whole afternoon like that ! Lucky you!
Moonlight Graham
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool