Airized Bat Foxx Type

Share your bats, catchers equipment, trophies, pinbacks, pennants, etc., discuss sports or other collecting interests

Airized Bat Foxx Type

Postby ScottWNJ » February 27th, 2020, 6:06 pm

I came across this bat in a store today and initially put it back. The name on the bat is AIRIZED, Made in USA. I looked at the barrel and it read FOX TYPE so I put it back thinking it was Nelson Fox. But I went back for a second look and noticed another partial X, making it a FOXX TYPE bat. I've searched the net and found one listed on a site that requires a paid subscription to get the information (Worthpoint) but I am not a member. Is anyone here familiar with this brand? I've also looked at Key Man Collectibles website but there are no AIRIZED bats listed there. The knob is double stamped with the number 1918 and a large number 5 (35" I presume). It still has a fair amount of shine to it, and the handle is wrapped in electrical tape. Information on this brand, age of the bat, value, etc would be appreciated. Thank you.
[attachment=3]Full bat.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=2]Full bat.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=1]Foxx name.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=0]Bat knob.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
Bat knob.JPG
Foxx name.JPG
Airized logo.JPG
Full bat.JPG
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Re: Airized Bat Foxx Type

Postby ScottWNJ » March 22nd, 2020, 9:59 pm

I've done some digging on this bat and here is what I found thus far. I contacted Keyman Collectibles through Facebook and sent photos of the bat. He replied with the only thing he found, which was a vintage 1946 advertisement for Barr's Sporting Goods in Bristol TN. The ad mentioned Airized Baseball Bats.. I continued to look and found that in a 2004 auction, Hunt auctions featured a lot of 4 baseball bats, one of which was an Airized Foxx Type. The bat was tagged with a Hillerich & Bradsby archive tag which read "made by Gooch". This lead me to Johnny Gooch, professional baseball player. After his retirement, Gooch opened the Gooch Manufacturing Company, in Nashville TN. His was the only company to make baseball bats during the war years, since the government commissioned the other companies to focus on making ax handles. After his business burned twice, Gooch left the bat business in 1947. I still have no physical proof that Airized bats were produced by Gooch's company, but it is looking like that is the case.
88979783_3029005257119725_2740969298477449216_o.png
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Not a Glove But Still Cool