Glove of the week: Sept 23 – Sept 29 (Mantle XPG6, Crescen

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the week: Sept 23 – Sept 29 (Mantle XPG6, Crescen

Postby burker72 » October 1st, 2007, 11:05 pm

A little bit of everything as we saw a really wide variety of gloves this week, ranging from the 19th century through to the late 60s.

First up is what I believe is a 19th century catcher’s glove. The glove has a couple of very unique features including a lace up back and crescent padding. I see a reference to the lace up back in 1891 catalog and no further mention of that feature with later gloves. The glove looks to be in great shape and is certainly a great piece of history. This one sold for $395 by way of the Buy It Now feature.

So if we can fast forward half a century or so we will get on with things, including a couple of stalwarts in the hobby from Rawlings…

First is the Rawlings Herb Score HSP HoH fielder’s glove. This one looks to be in pretty good shape, although from the pics I kind of wonder if the leather in the pocket is a bit dry. The HSP model debuted in 1957 as the most expensive glove in the Rawlings line, however, Herb would only stay in the rotation for 3 years. This one sold for $315 on 16 bids

Also from Rawlings is this Heart of the Hide "Boog" Powell TN 10 model First Baseman's Mitt. This model was produced in 1967 and 1968 and was among the most expensive base mitts in the Rawlings product line. The perimeter lacing and T web are the most notable features to me. Given the popularity of the trap web in today’s game I am a bit surprised we have not seen it reintroduced on base mitts. Boog packed quite a punch in his day, and so did this glove, netting $120 by way of the Buy it Now option.

Last up is the ever-popular Rawlings XPG 6 Mickey Mantle Heart of the Hide model. This one is a particularly sharp model and deserved the $865 it earned (on 9 bids). I’d say this is one of the better ones that we’ve seen in recent memory. Of course, for the price of the Mantle you could have had the other three gloves…which would you pick?

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month