Glove of the week: Sept 16 – Sept 22 (Rawlings DCT Mantle)

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the week: Sept 16 – Sept 22 (Rawlings DCT Mantle)

Postby burker72 » September 23rd, 2007, 6:26 am

First up is a glove that raised a bit of controversy this past week. There was some question regarding the legitimacy of this rare Rawlings Mickey Mantle DCT HOH glove because of the placement of the Mantle endorsement. Eventually it was validated, at least here on the forum, that the glove was legit. However, this did bring to light that the endorsement had been penned over. This resulted in a few bid retractions, nonetheless, it did sell for $716 on 9 bids.

The DCT with Mantle endorsement was made from 1968-1970 and was the highest priced base mitt in the line for those years. This glove features a rather unique design and great looking web. This one is in decent shape. So despite the average condition and penned over endorsement this glove still sold for $716…wow.

A terrific looking Wilson A2040 Ted Williams fielders glove sold for $191 on 11 bids. This glove first appeared in the 1952 catalog, lasting through 1958. The pics seem to say it all for this glove, it looks flawless. I think these gloves have a great feel and a great looking web. They do seem to be a bit undersized though. Regardless, a great glove for sure.

Lastly is the rare 3-finger bees sting style glove. This one is a Spalding Jimmy Dykes model. The glove earned $114 on 4 bids. Despite a seam separation between the middle finger and end finger, and based on some of the prices we’ve seen for this style in the past, this looks like quite a deal. There is no listing of the Dykes model in the Spalding catalog, but I believe these gloves were produced in the mid-20s through early 30s. By the way, look out for the Spalding that is listed this week, I think we could be looking at $800+.

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby toad » September 23rd, 2007, 3:22 pm

Question on the Mantle DCT. Looking at the 1970 catalog I noticed Mantle's photo next to the gove but no Mantle signature in the DCT pictured. Does this mean your glove could be from 1968 or 69?. I only have 67, 70 & 72 catalog's to refer to so I'd be interested to hear if you have a 68 or 69 catalog the answer might be in one of those 2 catalog's?
Very nice DCT you picked up.
Todd
toad
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby MVALZ » September 23rd, 2007, 7:30 pm

I have the '69 catalog and the signiture does appear on the DCT. List price $52.50 :) Strangely they also had a lesser XFB19 1b model with the Mantle signiture and Personal Model designation.
MVALZ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby toad » September 23rd, 2007, 10:06 pm

Thanks my 1970 has the XFB19 with the Mantle photo and signature too.
My 1972 has the XFB19 with Boog Powell signature.

So it looks like the DCT did come from 68 or 68. Good dective work MVALZ.
toad
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month