Glove of the week: Sept 9 – Sept 15 (Reach RF2 Ruth)

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the week: Sept 9 – Sept 15 (Reach RF2 Ruth)

Postby burker72 » September 21st, 2007, 6:28 am

I’m going to limit the write-up to a single glove this week.

The glove that really stood out was a Babe Ruth Reach RF2 "Home Run Special" Model fielder's glove. This glove sold for $910 on 28 bids.

I see the RF2 showing up for the first time in the 1929 Reach, Wright and Ditson catalog. Reach sold an RF 1, 2, and 3 model, with the RF1 the highest end, and the 3 the lowest end of the gloves. Overall, the Ruth models were about mid-line gloves relative to the rest of the line. Reach would later introduce an RF0 model which was a high end glove in their product line. Reach also capitalized on the Ruth name by selling an RB1 basemitt and RC1 and RC2 catcher’s mitt. The Reach-Ruth relationship lasted through 1931.

The Ruth name, not surprisingly would land on other gloves, Spalding would launch a Ruth Home Run Special line in 1928. Similarly, they too would include a basemitt and catcher’s mitt. The Ruth name would be sold on gloves through 1942.

Although I’ve never seen one, I believe there is a Lowe and Campbell Ruth model out there.

Most famous among the Ruth gloves is the Draper Maynard G41 model. Ruth first appeared on D&M gloves in 1924, lasting only through 1927. In particular, the white D&M G41 is the most sought after of the Ruth gloves.

So I think the Ruth timeline looks something like this
1924 - 1927 D&M
1928 - 1942 Spalding
1929 - 1931 Reach

I'll gladly leave the Spalding "Advisory Staff" line of the late 60s/early 70s.
burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » September 21st, 2007, 7:43 am

I"ve seen a couple of other Ruth endorsements on local manufacturing labels as well - there are two out of NYC but I can't recall the names right now.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month