Glove of the week: August 12 – August 18

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the week: August 12 – August 18

Postby burker72 » August 21st, 2007, 7:53 am

What a week! I won't bore you with my commentary, the pics tell the story...

First up is a mint Ken Wel George Selkirk 544 model. This glove can be found in the 1938 Ken Wel catalog and is listed at $7. The highest end glove in the line at the time was the Dazzy Vance Pro 560 model, at $10. I bought an identical glove from VintageBrettin in similar condition, although not quite as much silver. These gloves have a great feel and are nicely made. This one earned the seller a Best Offer of $485. The buyer got a great display glove from a terrific manufacturer.

From glover Bob McCann is a rare Dizzy Dean endorsed glove by Spalding. Dean gloves appeared from 1933 – 1936 and were always among Spalding’s high end gloves. This one looks to be in pretty good shape, unfortunately the stampings are very faint. It features a unique web with a large strap of leather connecting thumb and finger. This one sold for $433 on 10 bids.

Seller vborjon has sold a boatload of high end gloves, among the nicest is this Rawlings HOH Bobby Tolan XPG 6 model. There was an earlier thread about favorite webs, I think this is mine. This two piece web has great give when catching and as a collector, it is a nice display with the lacing running throughout. This glove sold for a reasonable $325.

I’ve always thought that the MacGregor Spider Web model gloves were great for display, featuring a very unique web design with intricate lacing. This mid-50s Richie Ashburn 3 finger GB23 Personal Model is among the nicest we’ve seen, earning $283 on 14 bids.

Among the most unique first baseman gloves we’ve seen is this Draper Maynard Babe Dahlgren “651â€
burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » August 26th, 2007, 12:23 pm

Updated pictures from crackofthebat for the Babe Dahlgren glove:

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month