Glove of the week: August 5 – August 11 (Reach Crescent Pa

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the week: August 5 – August 11 (Reach Crescent Pa

Postby burker72 » August 13th, 2007, 7:31 am

I kind of wonder how these types of gloves end up in the hands of non-collectors, but they do. A great A J Reach crescent padded fielder’s glove went for $1127 on 15 bids. I think my favorite line from the seller’s description is “glove has the unusual looking front with the raised leather partâ€
burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mr. Moose » August 14th, 2007, 6:23 am

Hi- Different strokes for different folks. Myself- I'm into vintage but that means the beginnings of the A2000 era from 1957 on. I can't see spending 1100 plus bucks for a glove that did next to nothing to bring the game out of the dark ages. I'm sure if Lou Gehrig were around today; he's cringe looking at an oven mitt like this. He was x-rayed late in his career and his hand showed evidence of 17 previous fractures using gloves that were even better than this. As a relic, fine; but give me the Maris Trapeze any time. Glove making at it's finest!
Mr. Moose

Postby BretMan » August 14th, 2007, 11:07 am

That's one of the great things about the glove collecting hobby. There are enough niche catagories, from historical antiques to vintage to modern gloves, to interest a broad range of collectors.

My own tastes and collection are less focused. My thoughts are: If it's a glove...I collect it!
Last edited by BretMan on August 14th, 2007, 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby jackwhale » August 14th, 2007, 1:25 pm

And keep the great pictures coming..........

Lately I've become worried that my collecting is losing 'focus' from post 50's 1b mitts :lol: There is no more room under the beds to stash gloves.
jackwhale
Veteran Glove Poster

Glove of the week

Postby 1glove2many » August 14th, 2007, 9:21 pm

I like em all.My collection is quite diversified.I try not to be blinded by concentrating on a particular era.Quite frankly without the evolution of the baseball glove prior to and including the crescent pad there would be no Maris Trapeze.What year did Rawlings manufacture a Maris Trapeze. Must be a rare glove. :roll:
1glove2many
Rookie Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month