Best of September 2013

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Re: Best of September 2013

Postby theglovester » September 12th, 2013, 8:41 am

"Who gives a Flying F" (well that says a lot right there).........Uh me, I was planning on bidding, like most would have done, in the last 10-15 minutes of the ORIGINAL AUCTION! And not having the auction determined prematurely by a backdoor offer by one person, AGAIN...

Hey, Hunt Auctions have some neat stuff in their catalog, see if they will end one early for you, that dog won't hunt will it, what's the difference with ebay?

You call some of us the "Glove Police", what do they call a person that gets auctions to end early for their personal gain up north?? Curious if it's the same thing we call them in the south?
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Yanks23 » September 12th, 2013, 10:11 am

As a new member of the forum, I wanted to chime in. First, as a new collector, I enjoy visiting the site each day, particularly the Glove of the Month section to see what cool new purchases people made and what they paid for their new finds. So as an "outsider", I move that this and subsequent conversations regarding Jared (or others) be moved to another section. It has affected my view of the community as a whole (not just Jared's actions, but the reactions to all of it), and is making my visits to this section of the forum less enjoyable. Perhaps others feel the same way? Of course, I am contributing to the issue by chiming in here, as well as my tongue-in-cheek comment that I posted yesterday. And it has been like a "train wreck", I can't not read this stuff (sort of entertaining, despite it being a tad contentious).

In terms of this and the previous purchase that Jared made, I would like to say that I am all for free enterprise. If an owner of goods chooses to sell them for a given price, and it is a great deal for the buyer...kudos to the buyer. I know that is not the popular view on this board, but I do not believe it is the responsibility of Jared (or anyone else) to educate seller's on the worth of what they are selling. If they have taken the step to sell something on eBay or otherwise, they are pricing it in a way that they are comfortable parting with it. In fact, the last go-round, one of you wrote that if you saw that fingerless tagged at a flea market for $100 (or whatever price you mentioned), you'd actually haggle to get a better price. So, I think it is evident that the problem is not with Jared. Yes, by contacting sellers and getting them to end auctions early, he is undermining the integrity of the auction process. But not HIS integrity. So let's be fair, since that is what many of you are attacking. Just because doing that is "frowned upon" by those in this forum, doesn't mean that what he is doing is unscrupulous. Stealing signs in baseball is frowned upon, but it is only made possible if the one side is able to do it. If buyers are permitted to make offers during an ongoing auction and sellers are permitted to end those auctions to make the sale, the issue is with eBay and its policies or lack thereof. Or lack of enforcement.

Now, I am not seeking to come to the defense of Jared, nor am I looking to ruffle feathers among this tight-nit community. But I don't believe Jared owed anyone on this board an explanation in the first place. Of course, where my tongue-in-cheek comment came into play yesterday was the lame explanation that he offered up. To tell this forum that you didn't even notice the fingerless glove was a bit far-fetched. And even if that was the truth (hard to believe, but I don't know you to attack your character), the issue at hand shouldn't be with you, IMO.

I did find it curious that you coincidentally pulled all of your auctions at the same time you made this second purchase. Not wanting to deal with "drama" is a bit unprofessional. You are seeking to be a businessman, and part of your business is selling on eBay. Don't let what is going on in your hobby affect the business aspect of your life. You are only hurting yourself and potential business with those knee-jerk reactions.

Following the first purchase, you pulled all of your glove auctions and stated that you "needed a break from the hobby", only to re-list some (not all) of the gloves a few days later. So, it is perhaps your actions to all of this that might have forum members believing that you feel you are doing something wrong. Your latest post indicates frustration (rightfully so), but also a lot of defensiveness to the point that I actually wonder whether or not you feel like you are doing something wrong. If you don't have any problem with how you are going about things when contacting sellers to end auctions early for a BIN, then stick to your guns. By reacting the way you do is giving this forum the fire power to keep coming back at you. And while some don't agree with how you do this, if you actually love this hobby and the friends you have made as a part of it, stay positive with those who support you and ignore those who clearly aren't going to simply agree to disagree. I am sure you have some other supporters like RBD.

Oh, by the way, RBD...just because someone is new to the forum and voicing their thoughts, doesn't mean they haven't been an active reader of the forum for a while.

Just my 2.5 cents. And while I know it isn't the popular opinion of this group, I think as a collecting community, we need to take a look at the bigger issue. For years, people criticized Steinbrenner for the huge payroll the Yankees had (have). Does it hurt the balance of the game when mostly larger market teams are the only ones making the playoffs? Yes. Is it wrong? No. Why? Because there is no salary cap -- and Steinbrenner was only operating within the rules of what he was allowed to make his situation better. Seems to me that Jared is doing the same.
Yanks23
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » September 12th, 2013, 5:28 pm

Rare 1920's Goldsmith "Carl Mays" three finger model 68 didn't meet the $600 min. Kind of an exercise in futility with no photos of the endorsement posted. Could be too expensive but a great looking glove, maybe one of the best despite a few loose heel lacing eyelets. Looks like most of the factory markings are present. The logo button is tarnished. The interior has little wear. With a little TLC this could be a stunning glove. .
68.jpg
69.jpg
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » September 12th, 2013, 7:16 pm

I was surprised there were no bids on that Mays glove - it looks like the leather is fantastic and would be a keeper in any collection.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Mike**Mize » September 16th, 2013, 11:56 pm

:D Wind back the clock about 5 or 6 years and I would have bid on the Mays glove in a heartbeat. :D
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » September 18th, 2013, 3:26 am

Great looking early Spalding lefty fielder's mitt sold for $95 as a BIN. Really nice, lightly used condition, stellar cloth patch in a unique location. Cinch holes in the full web are pretty cool, still has a lace remnant in place. A lot of superlatives for this one!
fiee.jpg
fie.jpg
mikesglove

Postby theglovester » September 18th, 2013, 10:27 am

Hey guys, I liked the spalding fielders mitt but was a lefty... Still awesome, yeah Someone help me again, won 161109340621 watched it pass the first time around ebay and snatched it when BIT don't have a white basemans and yeah a little rough but ok, the S&D with the broken wrist is an easy fix, hope it ain't to stiff, most S&D's are soft... I Hope, when you look at it, isn't there writing on the back of the thumb? what models have that? I know GC Alexanders do any others?? You know there is still a glove collector in me, I love these, fix em up, clean em up, bond with them a tad...Take care.

Hey advice, have a few gloves to sell, do it here first or ebay? chime in guys
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby theglovester » September 18th, 2013, 11:20 am

oops BIN, anyway, is the a Tris Speaker endorsed thumb model? Ty Cobb? anyone else it may be?? anxious and hoping. Drokester
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » September 18th, 2013, 12:00 pm

theglovester wrote:Hey advice, have a few gloves to sell, do it here first or ebay? chime in guys

There are no fees for listing here. :D
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby theglovester » September 18th, 2013, 2:43 pm

I know this should be asked somewhere else, but... on a stall&dean, is the thumb stamping "I USE AND RECOMMEND THIS MODEL" only on the GC Alexander model? After looking very closely at mine that is what is on the one I won along with the dirty spalding mitt. I hope the gloves belonged to the same person back in the day!! Top line stuff!!!
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Thxforthebp » September 18th, 2013, 3:33 pm

Ebay BIN $55 Black Elmer Riddle model UA much less common than the regular verisons of the Riddle. Aside from light stampings it looks to be in very nice shape with some silver left on the US and Interior stamp.
Thxforthebp
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » September 19th, 2013, 11:46 am

That is a nice one at a good price. I like the black leather, intricate web and the U.S. stamp. Rob could do a dissertation on all the "Elmer Riddle" color schemes.
mikesglove

Postby Thxforthebp » September 19th, 2013, 3:45 pm

Maybe an Elmer Riddle primer is in order as there have been so many variants found. I have a ton myself, but I think the Black/Tan is by far the least seen
Thxforthebp
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » September 21st, 2013, 1:08 pm

Early 1950's Wilson "Bob Feller" model 2940 in mint condition sold for a quick BIN of $60. This is the "Professional" model circa 1953. A stellar glove in every way. My favorite of the modern Wilson patches. Seller would have been better advised to let the auction run its course. The buyer got a bargain.
$(KGrHqFHJBMFIpnBcJq4BSOh8CtkWg~~60_57.JPG
$(KGrHqMOKpIFIjhQqCdiBSOh8(QTkQ~~60_57.JPG
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » September 22nd, 2013, 3:26 am

Rare 1920's sewn web Worth glove sold on ebay for $158. Looks to be in pretty nice shape, clear logo in the palm and a great cloth patch.
worth.jpg
worth1.jpg
worth2.jpg
mikesglove

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month