Best of August 2013

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Re: Best of August 2013

Postby murphusa » August 12th, 2013, 4:37 pm

Well we all the first to jump when a dealer pulls a fast one
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Mr. Mitt » August 12th, 2013, 4:45 pm

The "winner" of the buy it now was e***e( 1266). Don't know who this is, but all of their recent bids, the past 30 or so, have been in the vintage glove category. Chances are, they are a forum member. The seller tells me she's canceling the $200 deal, now that many helpful eBayers have filled her in on the value of her lot.

Getting a deal is great, but to convince an unsuspecting seller to end an auction early for an offer so far below market value is beneath unethical, it's bordering on criminal.
Mr. Mitt

Postby glovejunkie » August 12th, 2013, 4:53 pm

Agreed!! Glad someone contacted the seller and they had time to do something. Kind of sucks, wish it had just remained on eBay for everyone to see what would have really happened with it, and I'm sure the seller would have been pleasantly surprised!! Now in reality, someone will get it of course, for some astronomical amount, but probably this one wont be seen again for a long time, I doubt it will be back up for auction:(( but hey who knows!! Thanks mr. Mitt, I think you did the right thing for sure!!
glovejunkie
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mr. Mitt » August 12th, 2013, 5:16 pm

For full disclosure, since contacting the seller, I have made an offer much closer to market value and also advised her to let the auction run to fruition if she decides to go that route.
Mr. Mitt

Postby murphusa » August 12th, 2013, 6:01 pm

I also made an offer as did others. She could run a telephone auction just with the people who have made offers and make out great
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby GloveCrazy » August 12th, 2013, 8:12 pm

I'm on the record for opposing unsolicited BIN offers to unknowing dealers, and agree that in this case it is likely very unscrupulous. I don't know who made the offer or who jumped on the BIN but it is possible it may have been different people. I'm glad the transaction was canceled, but am a llittle bothered by advice to the seller to cancel a transaction accompanied with an offer to buy. Not trying to call anyone out, but if we are having the debate then lets have the whole debate. Having them restart the auction is the most fair to all, and really the best advice to the seller.

Another scenario that bugs is when collectors contact sellers after an auction successfully runs its course (winner over its reserve) to tell them they'd pay more (I didn't see it, I was away, etc). That's pretty prevalent on top tier items that go a little under the radar. That's the biggest reason I don't talk about good wins until I have it in hand.

Rob
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby theglovester » August 12th, 2013, 8:23 pm

something just didn't seem right, glad the seller got honest advice and appreciated our efforts. yeah, we all like a bargain, but DANG!!! I do hope she relists it or lets the forum members know when it is back up for bids. She could list it on here and get the best bids by far and save the overhead.. someone ough to suggest that to her/him. would definetly like to keep it in our collecting family..

On a lighter note, to round out JD's purchase of my Mays G101, He also acquired a stick.
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Mr. Mitt » August 12th, 2013, 8:32 pm

GloveCrazy wrote:I'm glad the transaction was canceled, but am a llittle bothered by advice to the seller to cancel a transaction accompanied with an offer to buy. Not trying to call anyone out, but if we are having the debate then lets have the whole debate. Having them restart the auction is the most fair to all, and really the best advice to the seller. Rob

I, along with many others, told her the value of her lot. I put my money where my mouth is, made her a generous offer, as well as told her that she should relist it as there's always the chance it could go higher. I made that offer because I knew others would be doing the same and didn't want it to go, again, for far less than market value. I'd be more than happy if it's relisted, pretty confident I'll get it for less than what I offered. Also, I forwarded this thread to the seller ealier this afternoon so she has all the informaiton available to her before she decides what to do.
Mr. Mitt

Postby GloveCrazy » August 12th, 2013, 9:11 pm

Great then they'll see my advice to relist it with a correct description and watch it go through the roof. Seller, if you don't want to relist it on ebay, list the highest offer here first and see if anyone offers higher. Note, we are only a subset of the deep pocket bidders, though.

As for the debate, just because someone else will likely veer is not a justification for veering. I understand that in your case you were likely showing them what the market would bear, Jerry, and that you would likely be one of the top bidders near the end, but I doubt you really are making the case that "cancel offers" should be the promoted accepted practice.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Mr. Mitt » August 12th, 2013, 9:19 pm

What's your valuation of the glove, Rob? Closed bid, one shot at it. If it's the highest, you write a check. If not, you don't walk away with it. Post the number here, the seller will see it and then contact you if it's above the rest she's already received.
Mr. Mitt

Postby GloveCrazy » August 12th, 2013, 9:28 pm

It's not about me and the glove.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Mr. Mitt » August 12th, 2013, 9:37 pm

In essence, unless it’s relisted, that’s what it’s become, a closed bid auction. There are no second chances. No upping bids or sniping. One shot at it without insulting the seller with too low of an offer or becoming overzealous and significantly overpaying.
Mr. Mitt

Postby vintagebrett » August 13th, 2013, 8:34 am

I'm sure this whole thing has become a stressful situation for the seller. It definitely is a great piece and one that will bring a large sum of money. As with most of you, I have a long record of saying I'm against ending auctions early and it's sad that someone thought a $200 offer was a good thing to do. I'm hopeful that in the end, the seller gets a large sum of money and the glove ends up in a good home. If someone gets the story of where the glove came from and how it was found, please post, as I think that would be a fun read.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Rickybulldog » August 13th, 2013, 10:49 am

Not happy with auctions ending early, however having the knowledge of knowing that this stuff has been going on for the past couple of years it has altered the way I bid on Ebay. If a seller decides to change the auction format to a BIN and the person who works out the deal behind the scenes or someone else comes along and lucks into winning the item then so be it. To me, once the deal is done, it's done. I've seen a few times on the Glove of the Month where a few "deals" ended with a buy it now for far less than what I would have bought the glove for, but that's the price you pay for not being on the computer all day or being at the right place at the right time. I personally think the Glove of the Month winnings should be shown a few days after the auctions to avoid such shenanigans from happening where folks can go back and muddy up the deal/win. I have seen this happen on a few occasions prior to this case. Don't get me wrong, I love the Glove of the Month section and quite a number of times I see a lot of wins that I missed out on or didn't even see on Ebay. Like a few months ago where someone won a NY Company buckle back, buckle web crescent for a $500 BIN, I personally thought that glove was a steal, it sold for far less than what it was worth, but it never crossed my mind to go and contact the seller with "Hey I'd pay more". Why no stink there? Wasn't that a steal? To be honest, It is what it is and people in our hobby sometime luck into deals. It's a part of any hobby, sometimes you overpay and sometimes you hit the motherlode. Despite the venue of where this sold, I don't think this is much different than those Picasso at a yard sale we hear about in the news. Really, who knows, the seller may have gotten the item for free and was thrilled to get a couple hundred bucks for them.

My honest hope for the glove is either the seller sells the glove to the original winner they agreed to sell it to and they cherish it or resell it (their choice) OR they relist it and let the glove community enjoy the excitement of what the glove is worth in an open auction.

Just my 2 cents and No I did not win the item.
Rickybulldog

Postby Mr. Mitt » August 13th, 2013, 11:08 am

There is a difference. This glove was originally an auction. Someone talked the seller into ending the auction, which was open for all, and into a "buy it now" at a small fraction of its value. If it were a "buy it now" form the beginning, no harm, no foul. In this case, the seller was coerced and deceived, resulting in a substantial loss compared with letting the auction run its course. If the seller originally chose to list it with a "buy it now" for $200 instead, then they only have themselves to blame for not researching their market. It's akin to seeing a $2,000 item marked for $2 at a flea market. If the seller makes a price, fair game, their decision and ultimately their fault. Being talked out of an auction, however, a free and open market where the item will ultimately settle at its true market value, is wrong.
Mr. Mitt

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month