Best of August 2013

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Re: Best of August 2013

Postby murphusa » August 13th, 2013, 11:16 am

If the bin was for $1000, I would have Said "great buy". But when I saw it was at$200 that was wrong.
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby theglovester » August 13th, 2013, 11:22 am

Well, I guess I owe the owner an apology. I am sorry that by pointing this out in the forum and causing you 24hrs of "What the heck is going on!!" But $200 was a rip and not an honest offer in an AUCTION setting, at the flea market I would have tried and talked you down to $25 8) , fair game in that setting... I am glad that you were informed on the awesome glove you have and hope you make a bunch! Everyone needs to find a four leaf clover every now and then. I am just a spectator on this and the best I could offer is two loads of firewood, a pork chop dinner and a night of two-step dancing (with my wife's approval) Heck guys everybody else is making an offer???

I am a squirt gun/cap pistol compared to the big guns in the forum, BUT.. I wouldn't trade my papaws, my dads or any of my 5 gloves I grew up playing baseball with for it.. Would I like to have it in the old collection, darn tootin.. would look great beside my CSA glove :lol: but kinda reckon it to the HOPE Diamond of baseball gloves now. Who ever wins the ownership of said glove wonder how many friendships they will lose? That is the sad part of such a great find for our hobby.

And no one asked about "The Stick" JD bought....
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » August 13th, 2013, 11:39 am

I'm against making offers to end auctions early and I'm also anti-interfering with a deal that has been completed. Sellers need to practice patience - if the glove in question had only been listed for a short while, why take an immediate offer when there are still six days left? Usually if I see something noteworthy such as this item, Ill send an email to the seller telling them they have something special and to let the auction run - I know there are other people who do this as well. In this case, everything seemed to be warp speed. I'm all for scoring a good deal and would never email a seller after an auction ended to interfere, however, I'm with Murph here - if the price was closer to a true value, good for the buyer but since the price was so far off, well...
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Mitt » August 13th, 2013, 11:59 am

I disagree, Brett. So where's the cut off? It may be $1,000 for you, but for someone else it may be $500. And another, it may be $5,000. Who's to say where this subjective line is? It's different for each of us. Some one may have more to spend, so his number is higher. Another may have been waiting for this particular model, so it's even higher than that. Then there are dealers who want to flip it. One has a higher threshold for cost versus profitability than the other, so their imaginary line on what is considered a "good" fleecing of the seller is different than the others. Subjectivity is not debatable, ending an auction is. That's the problem here.

Let's say someone convinced the seller to end it for $5,000. It was relisted as a buy it now for that amount. According to the argument, that would be fine with you and Jim, but what about the collector willing to pay $7,000 or the dealer willing to pay $8,000 knowing he has a buyer lined up salivating to pay $10,000?

Yes, the $200 stings and a higher price would have made it more palatable for the rest of us, but the price is not the issue. Ending the auction is in the first place is the issue.
Mr. Mitt

Postby GloveCrazy » August 13th, 2013, 1:14 pm

vintagebrett wrote:I'm against making offers to end auctions early and I'm also anti-interfering with a deal that has been completed.

That is crystal clear and I completely agree. Collectors on this forum need to stop making offers to sellers, during or after the auction. It's that simple. I also agree that it can't be subjective. Just don't do it.

Like many I send emails to sellers on special items letting them know its special and that they should let it ride, pay very soon after winning, and I even bid early on some items to show the seller there is/will be interest. Shouldn't need to do these things, but we know where there's money there's greed. That's one thing for outsiders to do it, but for the small group of us who know each other to do it to each other is just wrong. No more collector on collector crime.

I'd love to see this particular glove offered to the original winner (only if they didn't talk them into ending it early) or the first person who sent an email suggesting that they SHOULD let it ride (only if it had no offer). My advice, though, is for the seller to relist with a high reserve. No stress, no mess, ebay/paypal protections, etc.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Mr. Mitt » August 13th, 2013, 1:41 pm

So you're for letting the $200 fleecing of this seller pass, even though she had it as an auction first (we both agree, convicing someone to end an auction is analogous to murder), just so not to interfere with an already completed deal?

Like you and Brett, I too send emails to sellers when they have something special, urging them to go the distance with their auction. The most glaring was the Spalding tornado palm. I was in constant communication with that seller. The couple wanted to take offers on it so many times but sure were glad they didn't in the end.

As you noted, Rob, you do things like bid early after urging a seller to let the auction run its course to ensure them there's interest. Well, in this case, there wasn't an auction any longer to place a bid to instill interest. The deal for $200 had been made. I informed her of the lot's value, as many others did. It was her choice to cancel the deal (she said she did, but I have no idea if she did or not). After hearing this, I provided an offer much closer to market value to ensure interest, as there was no way of actually placing a bid, AND advised that relisting the lot and letting it run to fruition am yield a higher price.

We are on the same page, all but for letting the initial deal of $200 slide.
Mr. Mitt

Postby Rickybulldog » August 13th, 2013, 1:46 pm

GloveCrazy wrote:I'd love to see this particular glove offered to the original winner (only if they didn't talk them into ending it early) or the first person who sent an email suggesting that they SHOULD let it ride (only if it had no offer)

Are you serious on the second one? I say original winner or let it ride auction style. Also, I'm not understanding how paying quicker for an item ensures completion on the deal especially in this case if it had been done. Money can be refunded and I've seen it happen before.
Rickybulldog

Postby Mr. Mitt » August 13th, 2013, 2:05 pm

Rickybulldog wrote:
GloveCrazy wrote:I'd love to see this particular glove offered to the original winner (only if they didn't talk them into ending it early) or the first person who sent an email suggesting that they SHOULD let it ride (only if it had no offer)

Are you serious on the second one? I say original winner or let it ride auction style. Also, I'm not understanding how paying quicker for an item ensures completion on the deal especially in this case if it had been done. Money can be refunded and I've seen it happen before.

So Rob, it's ok if, say, Timmy convinced her to end the auction and agreed to purchase the lot with a buy it now of $200, but Sammy just happened to be lucky enough to see the relisting and make the official purchase a split second before Timmy? All's good in your world for Sammy and it's an injustice if the seller cancels on Sammy?
Mr. Mitt

Postby GloveCrazy » August 13th, 2013, 2:23 pm

To Ricky, the dreamer in me would love to see the person who truly only looked out for the seller -- during the auction -- rewarded in some way (and it wasn't me this time because I didn't see it). But no, I don't believe that it should be offered to anyone else. I agree that paying for stuff quickly doesn't guarantee anything, but it potentially gets it in the mail quicker.

To Jerry, sellers shouldn't cancel on anybody. They should do a lot of things, like research, describe accurately, let auctions ride, not shill bid, and send the item to the winner, but they don't have a right to cancel a transaction because they didn't get enough money. That's what reserve bids are for. This case is an extreme case but we are talking about process and the process for the seller is to describe and ship. If I'm Sammy and I win a BIN and the seller cancels on me I would contact ebay. I may not get anything out of it but it's not right for a seller to not follow through on a completed item.

To be clear, we shouldn't be contacting sellers after completed auctions. There is really no distinction between intial BIN and later added BINs in my opinion, and why should the seller benefit from hasty decisions. You mentioned that the amount can't be subjective because we all interpet that diffently, which I agree, but then you say it was warranted this time because of the amount. Offers after the ended transaction -- canceled or not -- should not be made and are also against ebay policy.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Mr. Mitt » August 13th, 2013, 4:12 pm

Don’t know the color of the sky in your world, but in mine, Sammy’s collateral damage of the original injustice of ending an auction early and who gets f*%#ed each and every time by people like me and Murph. So, there’s the difference in principle between us. I have no regrets and will continue to inform sellers when they are being taken advantage of, no matter who is doing it to them. Knowing Murph the way I do, I’m fairly certain he has no intention of ceasing either, along with several others.
Mr. Mitt

Postby GloveCrazy » August 13th, 2013, 4:50 pm

Maybe your offers to purchase are as altruistic as you suggest, but they sure don't come off that way to the collectors who feel that they are being jumped in front of, and they perpetuate the concept of going around the process. "Hey, I think you should relist it but here's $10K if you don't" has mixed messages, at best. How is that better than the people who get them to end early? By the way, where were the fair market police on the last bunch of items that I would have liked to have bid on that went with low BINs? I hate that someone got some of them to end early, but two wrongs ...
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Mr. Mitt » August 13th, 2013, 6:00 pm

When the process breaks down, initiated by someone else trying to circumvent the rules, they shouldn’t be rewarded for it. We all agree on that. However, at this point, baring a relisted item as an auction going to completion, it’s anarchy, there are no rules other than what I expressed several pages ago… it turns into an ad hoc closed bid auction. Making an offer at this stage is not jumping in front of anyone other than the person whose initial intention it was to fleece the seller. It’s not perfect and I’d prefer an auction setting, but everyone has the same opportunity to valuate the item and make an offer... and they do, often. The problem is not many can pull the trigger on actually submitting a winning bid in a closed auction setting. Fear of overpaying and misappraising the item due to lack of understanding the market would be the two greatest culprits.
Mr. Mitt

Postby Mr. Mitt » August 13th, 2013, 6:22 pm

I'm just posting trying to get to #500... two more to go!
Mr. Mitt

Postby GloveCrazy » August 13th, 2013, 6:28 pm

Doesn't sound very altruistic to me. I love it when the ones who want to create the anarchy use the anarchy as the reason to circumvent the process after the fact. I hear the Dana Carvey SNL voice now ... how convenient. Good luck with your tainted closed auction, but let's be clear that just because others don't participant doesn't mean that we can't. We choose not to. Maybe it's not smart, but we value the process. Sheep to the wolves.

That should get you to 500, but at this point I think my opinion has been clearly stated. I'd sure love to hear some other perspectives.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby glovejunkie » August 13th, 2013, 6:48 pm

Hate that the buyer tried to scam a person out of a nice glove put up for auction!! Hate that people asked her to cancel the transaction AND made larger offers at the same time!! Think a valuation and advice to repost and leave would have been plenty and fair from and for everyone.

And now this is all just getting confusing.... So, anyone find any good gloves on eBay lately?? ;)
glovejunkie
Veteran Glove Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month