Best of August 2013

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Re: Best of August 2013

Postby Mr. Mitt » August 14th, 2013, 10:27 am

theglovester wrote:My Papaw told me a long time ago... "When you lay your head down at night boy, make sure you can go to sleep."

We've had a good debate on the ethics of eBay. I understand all points of view that were discussed, Rob's, Murph's and Jon's and would, in turn, hope they see mine. That said, I'm sure each of us were able to sleep last night.

Questions still remain about what happened in this particular instance. Was the the buyer of the BIN the person who convinced the seller to end the auction or an innocent passerby who got lucky and then was cancelled on? To me, it's pretty obvious as not only is this person a member of the forum, but has also posted in this thread. It's time for them to chime in.
Mr. Mitt
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby jpop43 » August 14th, 2013, 11:05 am

:shock:

Agreed, Jerry...that is who we need to hear from. And, yes...I do see your very valid and well presented points as well.
jpop43
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby theglovester » August 14th, 2013, 11:21 am

This will make the evening news on national tv, akin to finding a action comic #1 superman in the rafters! All cows come home eventually,and the truth will come out in the wash, sure will raise interest in glovin, Patience.........
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby theglovester » August 14th, 2013, 12:48 pm

Dang Jerry, the field narrowed from all of ebay to 8 people on this forum??? on this thread??? Don't include the glovester in your assumption, truth will be found in ebay account and emails if it gets that far, which will be irrevocable proof of what happened, by whom, how and when.. At that point I will except your apology toward my southern character, but only then.
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby murphusa » August 14th, 2013, 1:02 pm

This is what is F'd up about collectors.

In this case

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4068

we are all on the look out so someone doesn't get screwed

and then we do the screwing
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby Mr. Mitt » August 14th, 2013, 1:04 pm

Not you, Don... and no, I didn't make a fox paw! Some of your lines just kill me!!! :lol:
Mr. Mitt

Postby GloveCrazy » August 14th, 2013, 5:22 pm

Mr. Mitt wrote:We've had a good debate on the ethics of eBay. I understand all points of view that were discussed, Rob's, Murph's and Jon's and would, in turn, hope they see mine. That said, I'm sure each of us were able to sleep last night.

Actually, it was still bugging me last night and again this morning. I thank Jonathon for one of the most well thought out and well-written forum posts to date and totally see those points. Very well done! A lot of the stuff that came afterward I don't really see how it was all that relevant. I'm really not trying to be a contrarion -- or beat this too much into the ground -- but since you asked I'll elaborate. I don't view someone making an offer after the transaction was canceled as anything similar to an early bid in a normal ebay auction for the reasons described above. Actually I think they are on opposite sides of the specturm with one being unethical. I'm also not sure of the importance as to whether or not the glove would be a keeper for anyone after the "closed auction." It's hard to believe it wouldn't be a keeper but my opinion is the same either way.

All I know is that in the above example I would be a Sammy type, the "collateral damage" person. In fact, I'd bet that the majority of persons on this forum are Sammy. We are straight shooters who don't try to get unknowing dealers to end auctions early. We go to ebay on a regular basis hoping for a good buy through a regular auction, and dream about one day getting a really good buy it now. That pipe dream was nice. Now I'm told that even if I do get one that it may interefered with from another collector, regardless of what anyone else says about it. That just doesn't sit well with me ... at all. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, but I offer a friendly little suggestion that it will not go over well.

By the way, if a "Sammy" wins such a good deal auction he/she may opt to give some additional money to the seller or donate a chunk of money to charity afterward. Who really knows? Speaking of which, I am hopeful that if any of the glove forum offerors win the closed auction that they'll immediately sell it and donate all of the proceeds to charity.

I'm sure that rubbing "Timmy's" nose in it will have some deterrent effect for a while, but there are also other ways to root out these types of persons. One idea would be to have a non glove seller list a really nice glove with poor description and then start a thread with all of the offers.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby ScottWNJ » August 14th, 2013, 9:35 pm

I'm going out on a limb here, but based on Feedback, I believe the buyer was Detroitbaseballclub. The feedback number of the winner last night was 1271. The Feedback for DBC was also 1271. Tonight, if you check the auction, the winner's feedback is 1275. And as of tonight DBC feedback is 1275. Coincidence? I think not. I do not know who DBC is on this forum, and I have no ill will toward him. I am not a deep-pockets guy like some of you, but I enjoy the hobby and collect what i can afford. I agree that something strange happened and it bothers me a great deal. As someone else said, the buyer should step forward and clear the air one way or another. If I am wrong on this, I will take the bullet and sincerely apologize. But I think we all deserve to know how this deal went down.
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby theglovester » August 14th, 2013, 10:50 pm

Well enough! that A2 with the index holster is the bomb, I have an early one 1963 model I think, but looking for the same model, but a little lower condition, and who got that S&D with the patch?? speed?? TY COBB maybe?? that is sweet, congrats to buyer!!
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby theglovester » August 15th, 2013, 9:10 am

funny thing happened last night/early this am... 3-4 gloves are missing from my watch list, why?
theglovester
Gold Glove Poster

Postby softball66 » August 15th, 2013, 9:38 am

Knowlege is Power
Searching for Knowledge is Powerful!
I've been following the bouncing ball on this thread and proud of all the posts and opinions offered. I think the vast majority of our hobby stands for honesty and fairness.
Thank you all for posting your thoughts.
The EBay system certainly has its holes, which will always be exploited by the greedy.
I could go into a long litany of such nefarious actions and schemes I've seen, including two of the more recent glove scams brought to my attention.
But our guys are watchful and wary which is a GOOD THING!
:D
softball66

Postby briggs86 » August 15th, 2013, 4:30 pm

To Fellow Collectors/Glovers,

I have been reading this and waiting to reply for the last couple of days. First and foremost, I am a collector and have been since my dad bought me my first MM9 Triple Crown Winner at the age of 9. And most of you know me as briggs86 on here, but others may know me as Detroitbaseballclub on ebay. My name is Jared, I’m 26, and I have been collecting for about 10+ years. I as most, have always tried to buy low to perhaps one day sell high (which wasn’t what I was thinking in this case). As most of you have noticed I have been selling off a ton of my higher end mitts over the last few months, to compensate for recently resigning from a field I was not happy in whatsoever to pursue my passion in opening/running an antique store locally in Michigan, selling majority industrial, repurposed goods.

With that being said, I had contacted the seller of the mitts to see if she would sell these as a buy it now for $200. I believe I was one of 3 of the first to have seen the mitts. I had noticed the listing on the drive home from my baseball game with my father (who I was going to be buying the webber for his bday this friday), as I have saved searches on my ebay application and I first noticed the full web mitt, didn’t even know the other mitt was a pre 1900 fingerless until I had gotten home. When I had got home, less than 5 minutes later and logged into my account, and clicked refresh she had switched it to a buy it now for $200; so I clicked on it and paid. And then realized that the other mitt was indeed a fingerless mitt; knowing immediately deep down inside, this was going to happen and there was going to be an uproar within the community. I had immediately called a fellow collector/friend and asked what I should do. He said just let it play out and it’ll all be fine. In retrospect, wish I never would have asked and wish I would never clicked to buy. Now you know, I only use one account and don’t have multiple accounts on ebay as a lot of sellers do to avoid people seeing what they have bought for what price. I consider myself a collector over a dealer, as this has never been about money for me, but rather the passion and love for the business, regardless of what I am selling. I wasn’t trying to screw this seller over, or my fellow collectors, and obviously it looks/appears to be what I did, when that couldn’t be further from the truth. Had I really known that this was indeed a fingerless when I had made my offer, I would have shelled out something I could have afforded, say $2500. I have always came to this forum with a level head, looking for advice and asking questions and learning from fellow glovers, who have always been top notch with any advice. I might sell mitts/memorabilia, but that does not mean that I or my father are not collectors and enthusiasts in the hobby. I unfortunately have had to sell some mitts recently that I have loved/owned for over 10 years due to circumstance. When realizing the second mitt was a four to five figure mitt, I didn’t even know what to do. I now know… don’t ever ask to switch an auction to a buy it now at any price. I by no means want to taint my name in this hobby and have appreciated all of your comments/concerns throughout the years and especially when I had mentioned resigning and following my passion here on the forum.

I as a seller, along with other sellers (also forum members), have received several offers from forum collectors/members throughout the years who I will not name, about ending auctions early; even the other day on my Walter Johnson G40 and my D&M Rose label catchers mitt. And yes that is beside the point in this instance, but I want you ALL to know that this was not malicious attempt to steal an item from a seller or to go ahead and flip it for 5 figures. Bc I didn’t even know it was indeed a fingerless mitt at first and after realizing that it was, at that point I am not sure what I should or could have done to make this situation any better, other than writing this post 3 days ago and saying it was indeed me and I feel awful about the whole thing. This whole event transpired in a matter of 12 minutes and I wish I could take every second back. I am going to be taking a breather from the hobby for a while as I don’t want anyone at all thinking I conduct any sort of shady business, I buy and sell from the same account, I do not shill bids and I actually just enjoy the hobby as indeed that a hobby. I don’t get rich off buying/selling memorabilia and never have; if I double down as most of you agree, you’re having a good day. And when I break even, I don’t get mad, bc I probably brought the mitt back to life and put it in the right hands where it will be displayed proudly for years to come. As previously stated, this is a hobby for me, meaning it’s the hunt for the item that makes this so much fun. Whether I pay a $1 or $100 or $1000 for an item, it’s the thrill of finding it that keeps me going and motivated. I do hope indeed the seller does get taken care of with this deal, and I am sure she will given the outstanding and honest forum members.
briggs86
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mr. Mitt » August 15th, 2013, 5:25 pm

Jared… Thanks for posting, I know it was probably difficult. An incident happened and now we have the details from the person directly involved with it. Some people believe what you did was wrong, others don’t. Some people believe what I and a few others did was wrong, others don’t. Some people are going to believe your story, others won’t. That’s life. My suggestion is to move on and don’t dwell on it. People are going to continue to ask sellers to end auctions early whether you never do it again or not.
Mr. Mitt

Postby ScottWNJ » August 15th, 2013, 5:27 pm

Jared, I think you should have stepped up and told your story much sooner. Instead you waited until I "outed" you. As you are a seasoned collector and Veteran Glove Poster, it is hard for me to believe that you didn't notice the fingerless glove. It's one of the Holy Grails of glove collecting. When I first saw the photo posted here and before I read the initial post, my eyes went right to the fingerless. It screams vintage. Impossible to ignore (and way out of my league). You admitted asking the buyer to sell for a $200 BIN, but only because you were interested in the larger glove for your Dad. That's a little hard to swallow. I think you may have dug yourself a hole that might be hard to climb out of. As the others weigh in on your explanation, you'll be able gauge just how deep that hole is.
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Rickybulldog » August 15th, 2013, 5:32 pm

Mr. Mitt wrote:Jared… Thanks for posting, I know it was probably difficult. An incident happened and now we have the details from the person directly involved with it. Some people believe what you did was wrong, others don’t. Some people believe what I and a few others did was wrong, others don’t. Some people are going to believe your story, others won’t. That’s life. My suggestion is to move on and don’t dwell on it. People are going to continue to ask sellers to end auctions early whether you never do it again or not.

Should we also add, people are going to add offers after the deal if we find the bargain not adequate to the glove's value? Seems like that practice will continue on as well.
Rickybulldog

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month