Best of May 2013

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Re: Best of May 2013

Postby mikesglove » May 27th, 2013, 4:16 pm

Another nice glove from the seller of the OK glove above. A Denkert "Mickey Mantle" glove and box sold for $787. Glove looks to be in unused condition. One thing I like about the Denkert made glove and the various retail brands they supplied is the classic Mantle endorsement across the whole face of the glove. This one is right up there if not the best.
$T2eC16J,!yUE9s6NEGyfBRlOSkB,d!~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16RHJIIE9qTYKDlkBRnqWNfnW!~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16R,!w0E9szNYhshBRlOSush3Q~~60_57.JPG
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby ambrizt » May 30th, 2013, 9:09 pm

I had my eye on the Joe DiMaggio OK Model Stubby Finger glove and watched it like a hawk from the day it was posted on eBay. I was in the running to win the glove for a little while, but I stopped bidding at around $550. Congratulations to the winner. Maybe one day I'll get a chance to meet the owner and trade him/her for it, or maybe even own a Joe DiMaggio OK Stubby Finger in amazing condition just like this one.
Last edited by ambrizt on June 1st, 2013, 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ambrizt
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » May 31st, 2013, 10:53 am

The DiMaggio OK model isn't too rare - there are some out there so if you really want one, keep looking, as they do pop up from time to time. Just wont be in the same condition the one that sold was in. My one problem with this model is that its such a high quality, well made model but they used plastic binding. It's very out of the norm for an OK glove. If it was in production at the end of WW2, that could explain the justification for using a lesser material but I have no proof to back that claim up.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby ebbets55 » May 31st, 2013, 10:55 am

I was the bridesmaid, not the bride on that one. Bummer. I wonder who won it.

JD
ebbets55

Postby mikesglove » May 31st, 2013, 12:17 pm

A "Walter Johnson" model from Legendary sold for $478. May be a National Brand. Glove's in great shape.
z152153a_lg.jpg
z152153b_lg.jpg

An interesting Alex Taylor Brand glove sold for $108 on ebay. Probably made by Rawlings. Identical to the "Paul Waner Special" model circa 1930.
z$T2eC16hHJI!E9qSO-RhzBRp!Hmks,Q~~60_57.jpg
z$(KGrHqVHJFYFGWZ7FSOoBRp!HuMuqw~~60_57.jpg

A striking two tone Reach base mitt sold for $113. I kind of regret not bidding on this one. It's the "Hold Fast" model and probably their top mitt 1915-20's. Unfortunately missing the whole sewn on buckle web attachment which kind of sucked.
z$T2eC16N,!)0E9s37E2(DBRnn)krCeQ~~60_57.jpg
z$(KGrHqR,!qgFF48zuzs(BRnn)kWQWQ~~60_57.jpg
mikesglove

Postby ambrizt » June 1st, 2013, 12:25 am

To Brett: That's good to know about the availability of Joe DiMaggio OK Model Stubby Finger gloves. I own one that I bought from JD's site (ebbets55) abut a year ago, and I'm very happy with it. It's not quite in the same condition as the DiMaggio OK Model that was sold on eBay just a few days ago, but like I said, I'm happy with it. But of course, it sure would be nice to own one in near mint/mint condition... Maybe one day. :)
ambrizt
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby ambrizt » June 1st, 2013, 12:44 am

Hey Everyone,

One more thing. I think another glove that was recently sold on eBay deserves to be mentioned in the "Best of May 2013" category, if I do say so myself *ahem* lol. I recently bought a white Reach model glove from the 1910s/1920s for $250. I love the look and the feel of the glove. I may be a little biased, but believe me when I say the glove looks much better in person. It feels great on the hand, too. Here are some pictures:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Reach-white-leather-baseball-glove-Model-23-circa-1910-/22/!CEKdg4wEWk~$(KGrHqR,!hQE0ehGKCUVBNRDVZgei!~~_3.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Reach-white-leather-baseball-glove-Model-23-circa-1910-/08/!CEKdkswBGk~$(KGrHqN,!i0E0GwGU4)oBNRDVjk+ug~~_3.JPG

What do you guys think? I was a little hesitant to buy it at first because of the ink on the wrist strap (the "AW") but I figured that at some point I might learn how to remove the ink safely. In the meantime, I love the look and feel of the glove. The AW looks even smaller in person and doesn't take away from the appearance of the glove. Really, it looks fine.

Tony
Los Angeles, CA
ambrizt
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Mike**Mize » June 7th, 2013, 8:02 pm

Hi Tony, Saw your question a while back and thought you deserved an answer. This nice old glove is as good a place as any to launch a collection. I noticed a few things that might be helpful as you go forward. First, many collectors look at the lining and binding, or piping of these old ones. Your glove has a partial lining and a fairly thin binding. That just means it's not a high end glove. Instead, it probably one that sold hundreds because it was inexpensive in comparison to the top models. One suggestion I would have is to try to get yourself a copy of the Catalog Source Book, published by The Glove Collector, Joe Phillips. This book will key you in to the wide array of gloves that have been manufactured over time and help bring you collecting into focus.

All the Best,

Mike
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby ambrizt » June 9th, 2013, 11:43 pm

Mike,

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely look into the book you mentioned. :D

Tony
Los Angeles, CA
ambrizt
Rookie Glove Poster