Your Preference for "Vintage Glove of the Month"

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

What gloves would you like to see in "Glove of the Month"?

The more gloves the better, keep the activity flowing
45%
Limited to special, unique and rare examples highlighted for posterity
20%
Content should be left to the discretion of that month's author
30%
I don't give a flying fig
No votes
My name is JD and I miss 80% of gloves that become available
5%

Total votes : 20

Your Preference for "Vintage Glove of the Month"

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 4th, 2012, 2:39 pm

Just a quick poll to gather feedback as to the direction you'd like "Vintage Glove of the Month" to take. Years ago, it was limited to highlighting stellar examples, then in April 2010, some clown named Mr. Mitt did the unthinkable. He posted more often and took the thread to a third page. That month warranted an increased number of posts because a large quantity of quality material hit the market in such a short period of time. Since then, multiple page threads have become the norm each month. With that, however, some mediocre gloves have been incorporated into "Vintage Glove of the Month". Please express your opinion as to how this section of the forum should be utilized.
Mr. Mitt
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Your Preference for "Vintage Glove of the Month"

Postby ebbets55 » April 4th, 2012, 6:08 pm

I voted for the last one :( I really don't care but it is kinda nice seeing all the gloves I miss. I wouldn't see them otherwise. I also grab some of the important ones for the galleries so thank you all for bringing them to my attention.

JD
ebbets55

Postby okdoak » April 4th, 2012, 6:59 pm

I lean to leaving it up to the discretion of whoever has that month. That said, if you only post the truly rare or "important" ones you may be hard pressed to even find one to post. I mean, what makes for a "mediocre" glove? A common model, a mid to lower line one with a lot of wear or other condition problems? Some Babe Ruth models I've seen would fit that description. I say leave it up to whoever has that month to decide, though. If that means it's only going to be one glove, other people usually add ones that interest them anyway.
okdoak

Postby jpop43 » April 4th, 2012, 8:59 pm

I am of the opinion that quantity does not equal quality. Now, that being said and before the firestorm starts, let me qualify this sentiment.

I am abundantly aware that we ALL have differnet ideas as to what quality, scarcity, desirability, and value mean...I'd be the first to endorse the notion that these areas are completley subjective. Geez...we have more bats and balls in our collection than we do gloves and mitts so take that for what its worth.

I have always thought that the "glove of the month" section should be reserved for those gloves and mitts that represent the highest end of what "we" aspire to add to our respective collections. Again, we all have slightly differnet ideas as to what that means, but lets be honest...there are those pieces out there everyone can agree upon that stand out from the proverbial crowd. Now, am I saying that we should wait till Cobbs, Speakers, Tornado palms, and buckle web cresents are identifed before items are added to the "Glove of the Month" thread...that would be nice, but no. It also doesn't mean that every single "neat" item should be highlighted either. If we pick something up for ourselves and its not necessarily something to alert the press about, lets add it to the "Today I Found" threads. I'll admit right here and now that I haven't picked up a "glove of the month" candidate in about a year...some really nice gloves, sure...but not significantly better than what I know to be changing hands each month. Its like that whole Hall of Fame argument...there is nothing wrong with being a really great player...not everyone who was "good" deserves to be in the Hall.

So, I know that I will likely be in the minority here and that is fine...variety is, after all, what makes this hobby special for each and every one of us. That being said, I will add to the "today I found" thread if I get something I want to share with the hobby community...the one handling the "glove of the month" duites should be the one making the call on what he/she adds to the thread.
jpop43
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » April 4th, 2012, 9:29 pm

My opinion is post what you like. We all have different tastes and ideas of what a special glove is. The more discussion the better.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby okdoak » April 4th, 2012, 9:49 pm

This suggestion is completely selfish on my part, but please don't post any more lucky BIN's because I never see them until after the fact. And by then, I don't want to be reminded that I missed out. I live in constant fear of reading "some lucky collector grabbed this NM Goldsmith Wagner for $150 BIN" which will cause my head to explode. :)
okdoak

Postby jpop43 » April 4th, 2012, 10:12 pm

I've read it now a couple of times and agree whole heartedly...I too like to see what the market is bearing out for gloves and it seems that the "glove of the month" discussion topic is the defacto place where this gets discussed. Just an idea, but maybe we add a whole new discussion topic to handle this dialogue...a "glove market report" of sorts that we can all add to. Cuz, like I said, I agree with Rob and Jim and many others...I do like to see what stuff sells for...maybe just not in the glove of the month section of the forum.
jpop43
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 4th, 2012, 10:45 pm

Yay, I like stirring the pot! :D

This discussion is good. I waited to bring it up until my month came along, but I must say that I’ve received several emails recently from collectors, mostly lurkers, who couldn’t wait for April and for me to bring the “Glove of the Month” thread back to what it used to be. I respected other authors opinions and desires during their months, but since this was supposed to be mine, I wanted to bring the subject up for discussion. As a footnote, I always suggested to these collectors that they should sign up for a month and do it the way they want it done.

All that said, I completely understand all sides of this issue and think we can compromise and make everyone happy. Personally, I feel that “Glove of the Month” should be for select gloves. However, I also enjoy the action the board gets from daily, or even intra-day, posts. Why not incorporate both?

Instead of “Best of April 2012”, why not call it “Candidates for April 2012”. It could be a catch all for gloves that change hands during the month, supervised by the person who’s month it is. Or, perhaps it could be a free for all where no one takes the lead, everyone contributes all the time. This would be similar to what we’ve become accustom to; a lot of action and, unfortunately, a lot of Riddles. At the end of the month, Brett could begin a new thread called “Vintage Glove of the Month for April 2012” and compile a poll of the top gloves highlighted during the prior thread. It could be 3 to 5 gloves, depending on what’s available, selected by him for us to vote on.

This way, we all get our fill of action, in addition to having a place to highlight the cream of the crop without having to filter through page after page when referring back to it.

Thoughts? Improvements?
Mr. Mitt

Postby jpop43 » April 5th, 2012, 7:55 am

I like that idea, Jerry...a vote at the end of the month for the actual "gloves of the month" is a nice way to get everyone interested and incolved.
jpop43
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby murphusa » April 5th, 2012, 9:52 am

okdoak wrote: I live in constant fear of reading "some lucky collector grabbed this NM Goldsmith Wagner for $150 BIN" which will cause my head to explode. :)

I got mine on eBay in 1997 for just about That. It went to a good home in 2002

eBay back in the early days was great not for the big names as much as it was for finding regional issues on gloves and other area. Display advertising was the best find at that time.
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby vintagebrett » April 5th, 2012, 10:56 am

I think voting on a glove at the end of the month would be fine. I enjoy seeing all of the different gloves people post and it helps us see the price variations and state of the market. The poll seems to indicate people like seeing a variety and want to leave it to the person responsible for the month. There are so many unique and interesting gloves in this hobby and it's great for newcomers to see what is available rather than thinking the only good gloves are the high end ones. Variety is the spice of life.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby GloveCrazy » April 5th, 2012, 3:36 pm

I think it's been great over the last several months. One person has sort of the obligation to present some updates, but others help out when they see something that is special to them. And if the conversation leads to a story or some other tangent then even better. Comments to limit conversation or limit inclusion should be frowned upon as a general course on a "forum."

There have been posted gloves that haven't been all that special to me, which are few in my collect-everything world, but I just scroll down over those, rather easily. By others commenting what they like, though, it has opened up trade dialogues, improved my knowledge, and been very beneficial to newer collectors.

My preference would be not to open a bunch of new threads for each related conversation because that's harder for me to access on my tablet than just scrolling down, but if it makes sense to a person to open a new thread that's ok, too. If you want to vote at the end I'm ok with that but personally wouldn't get a lot of additional benefit in people agreeing that the NM Ruth or duck web were the best of the bunch, but if others want it I'd likely throw in my two cents (the Jimmie Reese).
Last edited by GloveCrazy on April 5th, 2012, 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby murphusa » April 5th, 2012, 4:23 pm

"Vintage Glove of the Month"

Logic would tell me if we followed the title of the thread to its fulliest, there would only be one post a month.

Kinda dumb
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby GloveCrazy » April 5th, 2012, 5:56 pm

Now for the sarcastic response that was fighting to get out (I blame Murph for so clearly pointing out the obvious in just a few words, and of course my upbringing).

Maybe someone could create a new thread called "Ordained Special" where we will all wait with bated breath as to what a select few people think we should collect or value of importance. Of course it would only be updated once a year or so, because really anything available is so passe'. Less is rarely more and even grey poupon tastes bland if that's all you eat.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby ScottWNJ » April 5th, 2012, 11:57 pm

I voted for number two. I think glove of the month should be limited to the better, scarcer, higher end gloves that most of us dream of acquiring. (I call this category Vintage Gloves I Will Never Own) This will result in fewer posts, but also will highlight the better gloves. Throwing in everything but the kitchen sink, dilutes the category. Not everyone gets to park in the "employee of the month" parking spot.

Scott
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Next

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month