Best of April 2012

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Best of April 2012

Postby vintagebrett » April 2nd, 2012, 6:59 am

Mr. Mitt is up this month - swing for the fences!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Re: Best of April 2012

Postby GloveCrazy » April 3rd, 2012, 11:17 pm

Jerry, would next month work out better than this month? I have next month and this month would actually work out a little better for me, but could make either work.

Here's a nice Wright Ditson huge-looking c-mitt that ended tonight for $234.50. I think that's a real good price, even if the new owner can't get the Welch's out of the pocket.

525.jpg
528.jpg
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby GloveCrazy » April 3rd, 2012, 11:42 pm

Here are a couple others that started off April.

A nice white Spalding 1" web with patent date stamping visible for $175.

Spald1B.jpg
Spald1F.jpg

And a nice tougher-MM2-model Mantle picture pocket for $144.

MM2F.jpg
MM2B.jpg
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby GloveCrazy » April 4th, 2012, 1:56 pm

It's been a busy early April, here are some other nice ones:

XAC 1" web for $250.

XAC1F.jpg
XAC1B.jpg

Spalding Hack Wilson for $350

HackF.jpg
HackB.jpg

And a killer deal for a lucky BIN person ... a Spalding Chuck Klein for $9.99

KleinF.jpg
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 4th, 2012, 2:42 pm

Post away, Rob. I need all the help I can get this month as my schedule's become overloaded. I'll do what I can next month, but I'll be away two thirds of May.

Everyone has different ideas as to what glove of the month is or should be. I've always been of the opinion it should highlight the special, cream of the crop examples rather than a stream of gloves just to fill up space. Granted, I like constant activity in the thread rather than inactivity, but I was going to slow things down a bit this month and leave out some of the mediocre listings that have become the norm. I'm sure I'm in the minority with this view (perhaps I'll start a poll), but now that it's a calaboration rather than mine alone... go nuts!
Mr. Mitt

Postby GloveCrazy » April 4th, 2012, 3:18 pm

Isn't cream of the crop to you like one glove every six months ;-) Put me on the more is better side of the poll. But if you don't have a lot of availability next month then I'll tone down my assistance this month. Next month, though, you'll be getting any glove that I think would be fit in nicely to most advanced collections, ones that I consider good purchases, unique gloves, or gloves with a lot of action. I like seeing what I missed and seeing what gloves are going for.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 4th, 2012, 10:52 pm

Every six months if I'm luckey! How does it feel to get a package delivered almost daily? I like to spread my joy out over time and deprive myself for long stretches, makes things much more exciting. Don't slow down on my account, post away. I would have posted the Hack and the W&D, so we're not far off in out thinking.
Mr. Mitt

Postby vintagebrett » April 5th, 2012, 10:58 am

Mr. Mitt wrote:Every six months if I'm luckey! How does it feel to get a package delivered almost daily? I like to spread my joy out over time and deprive myself for long stretches, makes things much more exciting.

So many jokes to make, so little time
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby GloveCrazy » April 5th, 2012, 11:27 am

Mr. Mitt wrote:How does it feel to get a package delivered almost daily?

How does it feel? It feels awesome (said in that high pitch voice that many people use when saying awkward)! Yesterday I received my new Jimmy Reese 3 finger that my glove buddy traded me without demanding full king's ransom, a nice top qualilty Macgregor Jackie Lensen (Jensen, but Lensen is how it was listed), and a unique Sutco brand Made in the USA 50s. Only one cream of the crop there but the others are pretty cool for the price, and should clean up even nicer. Today I'm meeting with the props director for the Jackie Robinson movie, where I'm helping them with 35 gloves/mitts and other things. New gloves with some turnover is a hoot!
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 8th, 2012, 6:42 pm

Reach crescent sold as a buy it now for $1600. Very nice condition with supurb patch and lining. The back displayed much better than the wrinkled front, but still a great glove.
Attachments
crecent.jpg
crecent.jpg (22.43 KiB) Viewed 14530 times
Mr. Mitt

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 8th, 2012, 6:46 pm

A torn, but still beautiful, Musial PML picture box and glove sold for $1100. Still amazes me that these fragile boxes survive, they are so much rarer than the gloves that came with them.
Attachments
Musial.jpg
Musial.jpg (27.02 KiB) Viewed 14531 times
Mr. Mitt

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 8th, 2012, 6:51 pm

As a Mantle and Stall & Dean collector, I found that this glove existed through researching the catalogs years ago. To that point, no one had ever seen one turn up. A few weeks ago, a collector began circulating this find via email and it ultimately ended up on eBay. Great condition of, perhaps, a one of a kind glove. The seller may have hurt his item by initially listing it so high. It didn't even sell on the second go around at $500.
Attachments
Mantle.jpg
Mr. Mitt

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 8th, 2012, 6:58 pm

Talk about your one of a kind gloves, this one is special and has always been held in high regard by the glove community. So many things are going for it; endorsed by pre-war HoFer Edd Roush, correct hand, white and of the highly popular Ken-Wel brand. I must admit, I've coveted this one for many years. Again, the buy it now price of $675 may have turned some potentially interested buyers off, but I'm sure the owner doesn't mind keeping it. My opinion is it could have gone higher, during the heat of the moment, in a straight auction setting.
Attachments
ed.jpg
ed.jpg (18.56 KiB) Viewed 14527 times
Mr. Mitt

Postby murphusa » April 9th, 2012, 10:32 am

Mr. Mitt wrote:As a Mantle and Stall & Dean collector, I found that this glove existed through researching the catalogs years ago. To that point, no one had ever seen one turn up. A few weeks ago, a collector began circulating this find via email and it ultimately ended up on eBay. Great condition of, perhaps, a one of a kind glove. The seller may have hurt his item by initially listing it so high. It didn't even sell on the second go around at $500.

Sold on a "Best Offer" of $250.00
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby murphusa » April 9th, 2012, 10:36 am

Right from the pages of Jon's new book. A great buy at 142.00
Attachments
frisch.jpg
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa