Best of April 2012

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Re: Best of April 2012

Postby vintagebrett » April 23rd, 2012, 7:41 am

Mr. Mitt wrote:The winner of this ultra-rare maker, McDonald Wilker, really, really, really wanted it as apparent by his multiple bids to protect himself. That said, the $1495 hammer price was $1200 above the nearest competition. Makes us wonder what he expected from others, as well as how high he was willing to go.

There could have been more bidders closer to the high bid but because the winner placed his bids early it either deterred further bidding or cancelled the snipes set for the end. I'm glad the glove did well - I would have loved to add it to my McDonald Wilker collection but it zoomed out of my comfort zone at the end. Glad to know there are gloves like this out there and have something new to fantasize about finding at every show I go to.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby softball66 » April 23rd, 2012, 7:46 am

RE: the Goldsmith Pete Reiser Goldsmith.
I was to appraise a Dizzy Dean glove for an auction house and when I first looked at the glove, saw that it was a MacGregor Goldsmith Reiser and I had not received the background material on the glove. Knew of course that it was a post war. Turns out Dizzy came out of the broadcast booth to pitch for the rather hapless St. Louis Browns in Sept. 1947, claiming that he was better than the Browns'
pitchers. This apparently was the glove he used. The difference was that Dean's glove had a full web and not the "Roman One" type. So that was one modification that the company had made on the model. The glove was given to Max Carey and wound up with Max Carey Jr.
As Dizzy would say and Yogi would echo:
"Don't fail to miss tomorrow's game!"
:roll: :wink:
softball66
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Mike**Mize » April 23rd, 2012, 10:08 am

Are there any details on the pre-war three pictured underneath the MacDonald Wilker? Looks like a Goldsmith button. If that was an eBay glove, I completely missed it.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » April 23rd, 2012, 10:11 am

It was a goldsmith Carl mays that sold at 340 to some glove crazy guy in so cal.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Mike**Mize » April 23rd, 2012, 10:35 am

:D
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 23rd, 2012, 10:36 am

Yeah, Dave, I have the S&D you're talking about. Sold it years ago and very fortunate to get it back. I still can't find the Carl Mays listing on eBay.
Mr. Mitt

Postby GloveCrazy » April 23rd, 2012, 11:55 am

Thankfully that Mays 3-finger flew under the radar a little possibly because Goldsmith was mispelled. It didn't come up in any of my searches but just noticed it out of the blue as a recommendation when I paid for something else. Really liked that buckleweb but it got over my mark pretty early on Sunday, darn it. To ease my pain you should send me your Stall & Dean, Jerry.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 23rd, 2012, 12:48 pm

Stealth Mays!

Sorry to say, Rob, a teething Rottweiler got the the S&D just as I was filling out a mailing label with your address. Sad, sad day. 8)
Mr. Mitt

Previous

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month