Best of March 2012

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Re: Best of March 2012

Postby mikesglove » March 14th, 2012, 12:12 am

here is an interesting ebay listing. Like putting lipstick on a pig. I feel sorry for the buyer who is thinking somehow the gloves presented are described in the attached advertisement.http://www.ebay.com/itm/AN-ORIGINAL-PAIR-OF-BASEBLL-HAND-GLOVES-ONE-GOLDSMITH-ONE-FOX-BRAND-/300677447948?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item4601c5c10c
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Number9 » March 14th, 2012, 1:08 am

I can appreciate the decorative element of something like that, though I'm not sure the book/catalog images are adding anything to its appeal. If I like the look of it, and it's interesting enough, I think framing up these "pieces of history" is a good use of what could otherwise be considered a not-very-collectible glove. I have some interesting glove and packaging pieces that I have framed up or intend to frame up, so I'm guilty of it too.

I've also seen gallery-style groupings of common gloves just hanging on the wall that look nice, but I'm an artsy fartsy glove nerd. :) :)
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9

Postby vintagebrett » March 14th, 2012, 7:24 am

This one surprised me a bit - sure it's a sharp glove but I didn't think it would hit $351 - Wilson model 651 Frank DeMaree
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-03-14 at 7.21.47 AM.png
Screen Shot 2012-03-14 at 7.22.02 AM.png
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Mike**Mize » March 14th, 2012, 7:31 am

Great expression, Mike ; "lipstick on a pig". For anyone who likes to actually touch their antique gloves this is clearly a non-starter. If I found this assemblage in a dumpster, I'd probably take it apart and take a closer look at the gloves. I also like the seller's use of quadruple exclamation points to end one of his sentences. His assigned values for the gloves remind me of the time I sold a Mantle card on eBay and said "I'm not a card collector but I think it's at least a 5". That kind of stuff can get you in hot water if the buyer is "expert" enough.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby okdoak » March 14th, 2012, 8:10 am

I agree, Brett. I figured that Wilson would go for about $200 even in the stellar condition it's in. I am becoming less shocked though by some of the prices that NM gloves bring. At the other end of the spectrum are those framed Near Poor sewn webs that Mike pointed out. The two gloves that the seller references to base his price claims on are in such superior condition to the ones he's selling (and the Goldsmith in the ad is so much higher in quality) that the whole comparison is absurd. And I have nothing against gloves being in a frame. I have a couple in a shadow box that I made displayed with a catalog, cards, etc. from the same era and I really like the way it looks. It is just beyond me why these framed beaters are getting that kind of price. Am I missing something?
okdoak

Postby okdoak » March 14th, 2012, 8:27 am

If that listing hits $300, I'll be making more shadow boxes. I already have the beaters to put inside them. :)
okdoak

Postby deebro041 » March 14th, 2012, 9:09 am

LMAO okdoak. I agree with you Mike, i like to look at the gloves, feel them on your hand and even smell the old leather, sure beats the candle smell my wife puts all over the house!
Dan
deebro041

Postby Rickybulldog » March 14th, 2012, 10:17 am

deebro041 wrote:sure beats the candle smell my wife puts all over the house!
Dan

My wife picked up this and put it in the house. Smells great! 8)
candle.jpg
candle.jpg (45.27 KiB) Viewed 10024 times
Rickybulldog

Postby Mr. Mitt » March 14th, 2012, 11:20 am

The Wilson didn't surprise me... huge, well made glove in practically new condition. What caught me off guard was the final price of the duck-web. It looked like it would clean up beautifully. Thought it would go for about $2500, shocked it didn't pass $2000.
Mr. Mitt

Postby GloveCrazy » March 14th, 2012, 11:28 am

My wife has these little sprayer things plugged into outlets all over the house. Hate them. Honestly, does a house really need to smell like vanilla or cinnamon all the time?!!

The silver in that Demaree is still calling out to me like a siren's call. It tempted me all week, though couldn't justify stepping up at the time, darn it. Man, I want to slightly clean the front on that one and place it in a display. It haunts me.

That shadow box doesn't haunt me at all, though it did lure me in for a closer look. The guy I was selling with at the Anaheim National -- Tom Elliott of Pastime Collectibles in Fullerton, Ca -- makes some cool shadow boxes. He'll put in a great picture of Cobb sliding, a beater old era glove (former Rob gamble with bad back), and a file or something else that the player is known for. Love them.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Mike**Mize » March 14th, 2012, 11:31 am

One detail I missed on the duck web was what the white stuff is on the back of the glove. Anybody know? I would think that would make a huge difference in how the cleaned up glove turns out.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby murphusa » March 14th, 2012, 12:01 pm

I just got a Frank for under $39.00

also got a Jake at a slightly high price

Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby vintagebrett » March 14th, 2012, 12:04 pm

On the duck, the white stuff on the back looked like paint. If so, that is going to be a bear to work with if you decided to do something.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby GloveCrazy » March 14th, 2012, 12:16 pm

The web between the thumb and index looked trimmed to me on the duck web. It may not have been, but once it got up there I didn't want to chance it, especially with how dry it was. Liked the color, though, and the paint didn't scare me that much.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby mikesglove » March 14th, 2012, 1:15 pm

My son updates and refurbishes client's kitchen cabinets. This week a real estate agent hired him to clean-up cabinets for a house ready to come on the market. The cabinets hadn't been cleaned for 15 years easy. The agent said, "look Matt, I don't want to spend a lot of money here, just trying to put lipstick on a pig". Matt and I had a good laugh at that one. Being a cabinet maker, I've built a lot of shadow boxes for customers for their various collections. There were interesting comments by all.
mikesglove

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month