Best of February 2012

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Re: Best of February 2012

Postby eleet » February 26th, 2012, 11:24 pm

I was the winner of the D&M. I have to admit I over looked the ink. The pic above is the first time I noticed. It wasn't overly recognizable and never mentioned. I even had a few emails with the owner about the condition of the liner and stampings but was never informed about ink. It's a little disheartening. Ink doesn't really bother me( as long as not on front) but I at least wish I had know. I guess I was a little to eager and just missed it. I do love the condition of the piping though.
eleet
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby GloveCrazy » February 26th, 2012, 11:57 pm

I think I would have missed it, too. You do have recourse options available to you, but if you like it in person that seems to be a reasonable price, if no other issues. That doesn't change the fact that it absolutely should have been mentioned, though.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby cubsrno1 » February 27th, 2012, 12:17 am

I could be wrong but the piping on that D&M does not look original to me. It has the look of a glove that has been re-piped. And If you look at the picture closely, you'll notice the piping on the heel of the liner is brown and the exterior is black. Gloves will usually have the same piping on the exterior and on the heel of the liner.
cubsrno1
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby eleet » February 27th, 2012, 12:41 am

The piping at the heel is black as well. The seller included a few more pics and in one you can see that it's a match. As far as being redone, Im not sure. It was never mentioned and I didnt ask. I hope it's original. I'll have to examine it closely when I receive it.

It's really infuriating to think some sellers don't care if they mislead buyers. I thought it was the sellers job to list any defects or repairs. Since when has it become the buyers place to ask for accurate descriptions. I guess if a person doesn't want to get hoodwinked they will pose questions regardless. It's a shame.
eleet
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby okdoak » February 27th, 2012, 1:29 am

I agree 100% with Rob. If the ink doesn't bother you and you like the glove, it's a wash. We had a thread a while back and for some collectors any ink at all was a deal breaker and for others it was not a big deal. This seller especially has no excuse not to mention the ink in the description, though. They deal in sports memorabilia; they're not just someone who lucked out at a Goodwill or Antique Mall.
okdoak

Postby mikesglove » February 27th, 2012, 3:44 am

Mike**Mize wrote:Great to see someone else is spending their time removing old shoelace. Here's that Diamond Brand Base Mitt sporting the narrowest lace I could scrounge up (in place of its old shoelace). Cleaned it up a bit, too. There's traces of stamping all over the face of the mitt. :D
That's a nice job on the Diamond mitt!

There was an interesting 1920's Wilson "Mike Cvengros" model 900 that sold on ebay for $85. Seems like a rare endorsement and the Wilson logo in the pocket is different from the typical Wilson or Wilson-Western. This one has Wilson on a scroll with crossed bats and a ball, all within a circle. The model 900 is not typical either. Other Wilson models are in the 600's.
mikesglove

Postby Mike**Mize » February 27th, 2012, 9:15 am

Here's another February glove with an upside and a more curious side to it. This is an Nokona Ed Walker (?) catcher's mitt. Upside = Love obscure endorsements. Always admire the leather used in Nokona gloves; this one's no exception. Just needed some additional stuffing and it gave me a chance to create a target web. Downside= Glove is all of 8 1/2" tall and 10 1/2 " wide. I would have appreciated being told that in the description.

If I were a young kid (maybe 8-10 years old) in the late 40's and someone gave me this mitt, I'd be a lucky kid.
Attachments
P1170240.JPG
P1170241.JPG
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby chippalini » February 28th, 2012, 10:24 am

I picked up this Ripon base mitt last week on ebay. Sold for $11.23.
Attachments
DSCN2308.JPG
DSCN2303.JPG
chippalini
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby GloveCrazy » February 28th, 2012, 6:22 pm

The Ripon looks nice and at a real good price. My Ripon basemitt is huge ... is yours as well? I got knocked off a different lefty 40s basemitt yesterday which was probably a good thing especially if it went to a newer collector. Nice model and good value, though.

Mike T, I don't think I've ever seen that Wilson stamping that is on the Cvengros. And yes, Mike J, I hate shoelace on a glove, and the Cookie shoelace was wedged in there pretty tight. It was ugly but quite functional which wouldn't have been an easy undertaking. Heck, I'm an experienced lacer and have the right tools and it still took me a little advanced planning to figure out the schema.

That 30s Rawlings above had a big seam opening between the thumb and index. Bah!
Last edited by GloveCrazy on February 28th, 2012, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby ebbets55 » February 28th, 2012, 8:04 pm

Rob, here's a closeup of that logo stamp from my Heilman. It's a great looking logo. Click on the picture to make it bigger.

JD
Attachments
Heilman.jpg
ebbets55

Postby GloveCrazy » February 28th, 2012, 8:10 pm

Love it. That baseball non blown up sort of looks like a grumpy face. Aren't you in Vegas?!! You are a wild man. All I'm saying is that I don't remember the scene from The Hangover where they are all posting to various forums.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby ebbets55 » February 28th, 2012, 8:15 pm

I'm in the back row of the meeting. Can't you tell. I presented yesterday. Cruising today. :)

JD
ebbets55

Postby chippalini » February 28th, 2012, 8:27 pm

Yes, my Ripon is also quite a large mitt.
chippalini
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » February 29th, 2012, 12:56 am

This mid to late 1950's Spalding "Don Larsen" model 1051 sold for $125 on ebay. Top of the line in its day. Has all the Rawling's great construction trademarks. This one is in good shape and has potential but the leather looks dry as a bone. With a little cleaning and conditioning it could be a real stunner.
larsen1.JPG
larsen.JPG
mikesglove

Postby Mike**Mize » February 29th, 2012, 10:01 am

Snatched up this one last night (Reach Catcher's Mitt). Looked to be in pretty nice shape with some interesting features. We'll see.
Attachments
Reach Brown Catcher's Mitt.JPG
Reach Brown Catcher's Mitt back.JPG
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month