Best of February 2012

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Re: Best of February 2012

Postby murphusa » February 29th, 2012, 10:22 am

every Ripon I have ever brought looked cool on the internet but when I received the glove all the coolness was lost and the gloves always ended up in my "don't give a sh*t basket"
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby ebbets55 » February 29th, 2012, 1:47 pm

Hi all, please see the note I just received. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

JD

"My wife recently bid (E-bay) on a Mike Cvengros glove, but was outbid in the last 5 seconds. My wife's mother's maiden name was Cvengros, and she was the niece of Mike Cvengros. My wife has recently gotten heavily into the geneology of her family, so you can probably imagine her disappointment.

I read your bio and see that you have a considerable number of collector friends and associates. Would you please check with your network and see if they know of a Mike Cvengros glove that might be for sale? We would very much appreciate your assistance. Thank you.---Ron"
ebbets55

Postby mikesglove » February 29th, 2012, 2:47 pm

I saw a request from the Cvengros family concerning a "Mike Cvengros" glove that was posted on an internet site last week. I contacted them and turned them on to the ebay glove since the ebay listing was misspelled. Too bad they didn't get it.
mikesglove

Postby GloveCrazy » February 29th, 2012, 5:26 pm

Happy Leap Day Everyone! Hopefully you are wearing your blue and yellow (30 Rock joke) and are taking advantage of your extra day this year.

My day has been great so far, thanks in part to receiving the previously mentioned Ken-Wel Jim Oglesby 1B from Murph. He apparently heard the Field of Dreams "ease his pain" whispers and hooked me up. Thanks Murph!

I also received two gloves that I have really been excited about winning over the weekend. I didn't want to talk about them for superstitious reasons, but they just arrived and I love them. They both need a little cleaning TLC but they have Keeper upside and are great models. Of course the fielders will a look a little different once I lace the fingers ... all of them! :D

Leap1F.jpg
Leap2.jpg

The seller was an antique dealer who just happened upon these two at either a flea market or estate sale. I mean what are the odds that someone would happen to come across two tough, tough models at the same estate sale?!
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby mikesglove » March 1st, 2012, 1:49 am

A 1930's D&M "Lefty Odoul" model glove sold for $200 on ebay. A good quality glove. Grommet web with the classic D&M V-notch wrist opening and buckle back. Nice looking cloth patch and decent inner lining.
odoul1a.jpg
odoula.jpg
odoul2a.jpg
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » March 1st, 2012, 5:58 am

Here a few nice gloves and mitts under $40 from this last month:
A 1930-40's J.C. Higgins glove with a unique "Snare" type web went for $25. pretty cool looking!
higgins1.JPG
higgins2.JPG

A 1940's MacGregor Goldsmith "Frank Gustine" model JH went for $35. Near top of the line and in great condition.
gustine.JPG
gustine1.JPG

A 1950's Wilson "Harry Brecheen" model 2190 "BallHawk 4" went for $26. A nice cloth patch and a lot of silver left in the stamping
breechen11.JPG
breechena.JPG
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » March 1st, 2012, 6:13 am

here are a few more nice ones for under $30:
A 1940-50's Rawling's "Bob Bowman" model 490 went for $26. Super "black cloud" Rawling's patch and H web
bowman33.JPG
bowman44.JPG

A 1930's D&M catchers mitt went for $23. The mitt seems in good shape with an intact cloth patch, a good deal for the buyer
D&M1.jpg
D&MM1.jpg

My favorite, a 1940-50's base mitt with rolled lace web for $10. A lot of work went into that one
rolledlace.JPG
rolledlace1.JPG
mikesglove

Postby Mike**Mize » March 1st, 2012, 9:32 am

Fascinating pair of gloves, Rob. Can you shed some light on the fielder's glove. I'm trying to place the maker and the model. Should look really interesting laced up.

Thanks for all the glove pics, Mike. I really appreciate your effort. What a beautiful rolled lace web on that last one !
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby GloveCrazy » March 1st, 2012, 1:03 pm

Goldsmith had its Heine Groh with the fixed web between all fingers, Stall and Dean their Heine Wagner. I've been after a good Heine for a long time and lucked into this all-finger grommet web. My guess is that it is made by Marathon but am not sure. The "oil dressed" stamping and type of buckleback looks similar to a couple of my Marathons, but it may be another of those W in a diamond off-brand stamped gloves. I'm hoping to see a little more stamping once I clean it. Jim has two of them on his "Other Manufacturer" gallery for comparison.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby murphusa » March 1st, 2012, 1:23 pm

GloveCrazy wrote:I've been after a good Heine for a long time and lucked into this .

Happy for ya!

Amazing what you can find out here
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby GloveCrazy » March 1st, 2012, 1:34 pm

Thanks! Of course, one's acceptance criteria may lower over time as they get no Heine, but am real happy with these flaps. :wink:
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Mike**Mize » March 1st, 2012, 2:04 pm

Looks like the same strap as used on my Goldsmith Ethan Allen (Goldsmith section JD's site).
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby eleet » March 1st, 2012, 11:53 pm

Here is the D&M I won. The writing on the thumb is even less noticeable in person than it is pictured. The piping is all original and in great shape; its not as pristine as it looked in pictures. I was a little worried after some concerns where mentioned, but after receiving it I'm quite pleased.

Image Image
eleet
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » March 2nd, 2012, 4:33 am

That is a nice job. I have owned a couple of D&M 1" web gloves over the years. They were real sturdy, well made and came in a wide variety of tanned leather. I can see why ball players of that era were partial to them.
mikesglove

Postby GloveCrazy » March 2nd, 2012, 11:37 am

Looks great! I've noticed that some ink looks a lot worse than it really is when a flash hits it at a certain angle.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Previous

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month