Best of December 2011

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Re: Best of December 2011

Postby GloveCrazy » December 20th, 2011, 7:21 pm

I made the leap, which was quite a lengthy jump for a Billy Werber which books at 1/2 of what I paid. Many would find it hard to believe that my max bid was much higher than the that, too, which I know is nutty! You can't really logic with the crazy but the only way I can explain it is that I sometimes pay more to fill a perceived hole. I really liked the combination of quality, unique features, color, and centered cloth label, but what made it a need for me was that is made from Wapiti leather which I didn't have yet (but should have, if you get my point, ebbets55 :wink: ). Anyway, I received it and don't regret it at all. As they say, you only wince once on a high quality expensive purchase. I just hope I feel the same about the D&M decker patent double face c-mitt I similalry went a little overboard on this month!
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Mike**Mize » December 20th, 2011, 7:33 pm

Nice. Way to go Rob. I think my mind closed it out as soon as I saw Billy Werber. Just goes to show. Somehow I completely missed it.

re. the catcher's mitt...Was that the one with the Decker thumb? How could you possibly overpay? I almost posted it when it first was listed. I can't remember seeing too many Decker thumbs! That's an actual new definition for the term Double Decker. Previously it could only be applied to a bus. :D
Attachments
double decker bus.JPG
double decker bus.JPG (17.86 KiB) Viewed 10026 times
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Mike**Mize » December 20th, 2011, 8:03 pm

I picked up this one; only because it was sitting there looking like it might also be nice ( A J Reach 30's fielders). Curiously, I also checked what else the guy had for sale and bid on and won an old C note harmonica ! Can't wait to see how this one cleans up and then how the harmonica sounds playin' Rainin' In My Heart in the key of C !
Attachments
$(KGrHqVHJBcE63Vg0w5zBO4m2vwDfw~~60_3.JPG
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby GloveCrazy » December 20th, 2011, 10:34 pm

Yea, that Reach was intriguing and certainly looks like it would be fun to clean up. When I first saw it I was thinking George A. Reach, though, which as you know made some great quality gloves as well.

Mike**Mize wrote:re. the catcher's mitt...Was that the one with the Decker thumb? How could you possibly overpay? I almost posted it when it first was listed. I can't remember seeing too many Decker thumbs! That's an actual new definition for the term Double Decker. Previously it could only be applied to a bus. :D

My wife's English so I was probably influenced subliminally. Anyway, yes, it has the full monty of decker patent features, but the one thing that lured me in was the "double palm" stamping on the front right and that crescent looking extra padding on the thumb. I had a Val Picinich that had much of the same back (if not identical), but I don't recall it having the extra padded front. I sat there and watched it all week debating that it may be listed at a lower price if nobody opens it up at $250, but ultimately couldn't wait, darn it. Hope the front cleans up.
Attachments
DNMDblFaceF.jpg
DnMDblFaceB.jpg
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Mike**Mize » December 20th, 2011, 11:01 pm

I'm certain it's an AJ . It's got a Reach brass button.
On the subject of layered palms, I also was fortunate enough to pick up this Spalding Bill Dickey WD Triple Face mitt from Richie's fire sale.
Perfs in the back, to boot. :D
Attachments
P1160667.JPG
P1160668_00.JPG
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby GloveCrazy » December 21st, 2011, 11:28 am

I was wondering who got that one, nice pickup! By the way, there's a Glove Forum discussion about double and triple faces (with aerated backs) in the "Not A Glove But Still Cool" section under "For Fun"
http://www.vintagebaseballgloveforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4846&start=15
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Mike**Mize » December 21st, 2011, 1:19 pm

I really like the mitt. I have two other Bill Dickey Spalding Buckle Backs, but this is clearly the oldest. It's a revelation to see that the top face is horsehide. I'm pretty sure the whole mitt is horsehide (other than the buckle strap). This suggests that cowhide was unavailable when it was made, else why wouldn't it have been used on a mitt that's going to take as much of a pounding as this one. I took the liberty to make it a rolled lace web. I'm certain that's not what it started out with. I do like the way it came out. :D
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby GloveCrazy » December 21st, 2011, 5:45 pm

Mike**Mize wrote:else why wouldn't it have been used on a mitt that's going to take as much of a pounding as this one.

That triple face model actually has three front layers so maybe they needed horsehide so it wouldn't weigh a ton.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Mike**Mize » December 21st, 2011, 6:36 pm

Good point, Rob. :D

Here's a Goldsmith Double Face I found this fall.
Attachments
goldsmith double face front.jpg
goldsmith double face front.jpg (5.55 KiB) Viewed 9953 times
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby GloveCrazy » December 22nd, 2011, 2:00 pm

What's up with that tiny little thumbnail picture ... are you hiding something? :wink: Anytime -- ANYTIME -- I see the phrase double face I think of that annoying Poker Face song by Lady Gaga ... mu mu my double face. I leave you with that to hum all day long!
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Mike**Mize » December 22nd, 2011, 3:59 pm

Hey Rob, I was as surprised as you to see how small the photo I have of this one is. It's posted on Jim's site much, much larger.
By the way, it's been great to re-connect with you with a little glove talk. I hope you have a Very Merry Christmas.

Mike
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Mike**Mize » December 22nd, 2011, 4:26 pm

Bigger shots of the Goldsmith Double Face.
Attachments
P1160766.JPG
P1160765_01.JPG
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Mike**Mize » December 23rd, 2011, 10:09 am

Here's that Reach glove from back up the thread. Still cleaning and conditioning. Looking through catalog pages I could not find a seam or welt saver of this kind on a Reach glove from the late twenties through mid 30's. Maybe I have my date estimate wrong. More to follow on this one.
Attachments
P1160774.JPG
P1160772.JPG
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Previous

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month