Best of November 2011

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Best of November 2011

Postby Rickybulldog » November 1st, 2011, 4:50 pm

Some nice looking gloves ended November 1st and some really nice ones will end in the days to come.

A really nice Red patched Spalding catcher's mitt ended for $82.00. This one features unique vent holes. I thought the strap/buckle was repaired, but looking at the Harry Davis mitt I don't think so. Ireally like the contrast of the light brown color leather and the dark leather used for the buckle straps. This one will clean up great. Just a little Fiebings saddle soap and you could go crazy!
triple.jpg
$82.jpg
strap.jpg

More to come later........

By the way, if you haven't checked out the upcoming Legendary Auction, take a look at the next batch of John Graham's gloves. http://www.legendaryauctions.com/catalog.aspx
Rickybulldog
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Best of November 2011

Postby Rickybulldog » November 1st, 2011, 8:50 pm

Not a buckle-back, but some lucky dog picked up a very sweet lefty Victor Wright & Ditson one inch web fielder's glove for $82. This one looked solid inside and out. This one also had the great VWD bat patch. Interesting that this particular model had a VWD button, while last month's Berkeley model had a Wright & Ditson button. Anybody else see these on your VWD one inch webs/full webs?
$86.jpg
back.jpg
vwdback.jpg
Rickybulldog

Postby Rickybulldog » November 2nd, 2011, 12:37 am

A couple more from today:

A very neat Macgregor 3 finger glove with a spider type webbing went for $80.
$80.jpg
spider.jpg

Also in the $80 range, $79.95 to be exact, was a minty looking Billy Martin Wilson fielder's glove. This one looked great!
$79.95.jpg

I've always liked these black Canadian Cooper Weeks gloves. I don't know whether I'm drawn to the black leather with brown piping along with the silver stamping or what? I just can't figure out what's that all about, but they sure are cool! This one went for $32.
$32.jpg
$(KGrHqIOKiYE6Lc9Or4wBOph,dReC!~~60_3[1].jpg
Rickybulldog

Postby Rickybulldog » November 2nd, 2011, 9:53 am

Clue me in on this one folks. Here's an old one inch web Hutch fielder's glove that went for $406.99. Anyone?
406.99.jpg
Rickybulldog

Postby johnmilner » November 2nd, 2011, 10:07 am

Anybody else see these on your VWD one inch webs/full webs?

I have a black VWD at home that may have that type of button, will check when I get home!
johnmilner
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Studboy » November 2nd, 2011, 6:45 pm

No clue on that Hutch. The first picture makes it look almost primitave but if you look at any othe the others it's just a low end Hutch one inch web. I figured $50 max so I guess I missed something also.
Studboy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Rickybulldog » November 2nd, 2011, 11:30 pm

One cool glove endIng today was a neatly laced, KEN WEL DAZZY VANCE WITH A KEN WEL PATCH AND A DAZZY VANCE PATCH! ThIs one sold for $99.99 Without shipping included and looks pretty stellar! Great period/landmark glove for any collector. Too bad it wasn't a righty!
99.99.jpg
Rickybulldog

Postby GloveCrazy » November 3rd, 2011, 12:35 pm

Rickybulldog wrote:Just a little Fiebings saddle soap and you could go crazy!
You betcha, or at least that's the plan.

Note, there's another of these pretty limited back-vent-hole mitts out there on ebay with a high BIN (360404743338). I offered them $120 at one point through the make offer process but they countered to $140, and then I noticed this one.

As for your Victor W&D bat patch button question, I have three and they all have different buttons, one with the name around the perimeter, one with ornate symbols, and the other just generic.

And lastly, yes, I'd prefer my new Vance to have been a righty, but it is a correct hand lefty (which I understand are rarer) for those so inclined. Nice cloth labels on that freak of nature and it should also clean up well with a little Fiebings TM.

Rob
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Rickybulldog » November 3rd, 2011, 10:02 pm

GloveCrazy wrote:Note, there's another of these pretty limited back-vent-hole mitts out there on ebay with a high BIN (360404743338). I offered them $120 at one point through the make offer process but they countered to $140, and then I noticed this one.

spalding.jpg

In an interesting turn of events, the other one sold for $130. Lucky offer or lucky lurker? Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I give this one the Brian Bosworth cool cutomer award!
boz.jpg
boz.jpg (31.9 KiB) Viewed 13190 times

Both are great looking gloves. I like the vent hole back look. I also like the model that has them in the front as well. Very cool!
Rickybulldog

Postby GloveCrazy » November 4th, 2011, 1:00 pm

Here's a picture of the front vented version. These are tough.
Attachments
RchCHl1F.JPG
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Mike**Mize » November 4th, 2011, 1:53 pm

:lol: re front vented....Around the 8th or 9th inning on a dry day you're gonna see puffs of dust popping out of the pocket like mini-explosions making any average fastball look smokin' with one of these guys !
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Rickybulldog » November 5th, 2011, 12:08 am

Ending today was a minty Spalding Jerry Lumpe for $66.85 Great silver and Great patch!
66.85.jpg

Also ending was a very cool character glove with a patched front. This one looks interesting because it almost has a pant pocket pattern. $40.99 bought this freak. Awesome!
40.99.jpg

The next one hasn't sold which has me a little perplexed. Am I the only one who thought this one would have been gone already? This Lou Gehrig fielder's glove with a BIN-best offer $1,100 is pretty cool, but what's the deal? Do collectors/ bidders shy away from the BIN-Best offer format? Does the restoration on this glove turn people away? Is a Gehrig fielder's glove less desirable than a basemitt? Do most of the HOFer collectors already have a Gehrig fielder's already in their stable? Or is it a combination of them all? For me, if I collected HOFers, I'd be all over this. The BIN-best offer format doesn't turn me away, but I do get a nagging feeling that my offer will offend. Thoughts (if any)? Sorry, just out loud thinking because I work both sides as a bidder and seller.
lou.jpg
Rickybulldog

Postby briggs86 » November 6th, 2011, 1:35 pm

Ricky, I am also perplexed that my Gehrig Fielders Mitt has yet to get any action. I am one who's starting to believe that a buy it now format with make an offer, might deflect interest and or bids. That's why I try to do all different formats to see what gets the highest amount of views, watchers and bidders. The thing with make offers is that you're able to set a polite message to be automatically returned to buyers if the offers to low, which is better than just hitting decline as I think that's rude. I mean no offer is insulting, considering it just shows interest and collecting is always a game as it is. People want to feel as though they're getting a great price. I believe I have over 20 watchers and yet, only one offer, which is not a great ratio. The glove I believe was cleaned up by William, I got it in a recent trade. I think he did a wonderful job on the preservation of the Gehrig, as always I might add.

Ebay can be so odd at times. We've all seen some gloves sky rocket in price that are common common common. Like for example the hutch webber above. Is it a Connie Mack or Cy Young endorsed model, why else is it going for $400? I mean there has to be particulars sometimes that maybe the untrained eye may not notice. There's so many ebayers that sometimes get ridiculous fetched prices and then we see those items relisted on ebay 30 days later, like we didn't notice you're reselling the same exact 1920s youth reach catchers mitt that miraculously sold for $400 the month prior. However I think curiosity may kill the cat sometimes and beat the dead horse all at the same time. I feel as though for glovers, we may sometimes bid more on an item coming from a non collector (that's never been touched by someone that collects gloves) vs someone that sells only baseball gloves or sports related items. Do we sometimes feel as though a seller who collects baseball items and sells on ebay, is selling there crap and we as collectors don't want another collectors crap? I use the word crap lightly, but thats the nature of the collecting game... We want the unfiltered, new, barn fresh item, that we can clean on our own and bring back to life! At least thats the way I look at it sometimes. Random thoughts I know!

Jared
briggs86
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mike**Mize » November 6th, 2011, 2:12 pm

My thought is that the Gehrig fielder's glove is a bit of an oddball glove (a little like a Babe Ruth Home Run Special Catcher's glove). You've got two forces at work, one on the plus side, and one on the minus side. Physically, it's a very average looking 30's glove. Then there's the endorsement. Fireworks.....But maybe not quite enough right now to get the offer you're looking for. Even though I've bought some really nice gloves set up in the BIN or Best Offer format, I always use auction style for my own sales and try to start it up low enough to get several bidders interested. That way I'm not having to wait around for a miracle.
Good luck with the glove.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Rickybulldog » November 6th, 2011, 3:09 pm

More from this month:

A nice, brown Victor Wright & Ditson fielder's glove. Great patch and top quality leather. This one sold for $132.50
132.50.jpg

Back when I was in Little League, one of my coaches told a teammate who dropped a fly ball: "Hey Danny, did you take your glove to church?...Because it's pretty holy"...This Wilson Western boy's fielder's glove model #666 for $48 not so much. Nice Thomas Wilson button!
$48.jpg

Ending with a best offer of $550 was this Simmons American white crescent. This one had some slight condition issues, but still a great looking crescent in my opinion.
$550.jpg

Jared, I think we're on the same page. From what I've seen The Best offer-BIN and high priced start bids get little to no action. By providing decent pictures, low starting bids, free shipping (I hate the sellers who charge a great deal for shipping and then when you get the box it has a cheaper price. That's another topic), and allowing returns you have the best chance to do well when all the stars allign. I, too, am not buying the whole "this seller has a following" and gets maximum value for their stuff, it just doesn't add up to me. I've stopped buying from these sellers and just bid on other sellers/collectors. Aw well, they're just gloves and this is just a hobby. It's fun to talk about though. Best of luck to you in your sale, I know you are looking for a fair deal in that Gehrig as you should.
Rickybulldog

Next

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month