Glove of the week: Apr 7 - Apr 13 (Doak, D&M Averill)

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the week: Apr 7 - Apr 13 (Doak, D&M Averill)

Postby burker72 » April 16th, 2007, 12:12 am

My wife and I moved this past weekend, so I'm just getting caught up on some of the other things in life. The white Wright & Ditson catcher's glove sold on the 14th, so I can't include that here, but it'll be featured next week, among many other great gloves.

In the meantime we did see a nice Doak that went for more than $430. I was bidding on this one, and then in the last minute or so it tripled in price with plenty of bidders lying in the weeds. The seller does not offer much info in the way of model number but it is obviously one of the earlier versions.

A terrific D&M Earl Averill turned up and was sold for just $135 using Buy it Now. The glove has a great look to it with the tan leather. Nice webbing too, reminiscient of the Mac-Goldsmith models.

A Rawlings Tom Tresh G900 sold for $113. This is the Paul Bunyon leather, which I have read preceded the HOH leather in some of the premium Rawlings offerings. The glove has been beautifully relaced, although for some the fact that it was relaced could be a deterrent.

A couple of near mint gloves turned up too. I'd call the Spalding Al Smith glove mint, it looks like it is off the shelf. The nicest attribute may be the sparkling blue Spalding patch. Also, a Stan Musial model turned up. I believe this is a Marathon Sporting Goods model, although based on the way the stampings in the palm read I'd guess it was made by Rawlings.

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month