Best of August 2011

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Re: Best of August 2011

Postby mikesglove » August 29th, 2011, 11:58 am

here are some more pics of the "Sheely" mitt above. it sold for $135 on ebay. The seller had a lot of items closing on Sunday. The 1908 patent number on the face refers to the padding inside to create a deep pocket to reduce break-in time. Also, nice reinforcement around the webbing.
Image555a.JPG
Image556a.JPG
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Mike**Mize » August 29th, 2011, 12:31 pm

Looks like only a partial cloth label. Too bad about that. I guess all the silver on the front makes up for that to an extent. Still can't wait to check it out when it arrives.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » August 29th, 2011, 2:48 pm

This glove is one that arrives and you open and you can't help be super satisfied with. Definitely a top 10 legacy glove for the collection. The tag is amazing!

mikesglove wrote:A 1915-20's Horace Partridge 1" web glove sold for $456 on ebay. the glove itself is in pristine condition with nice markings in the pocket which are pretty rare with this type of white leather. The glove also features a variation of the Stall & Dean patented pocket. The circular stitching inside the wrist opening defines an area where the padding was reduced to more quickly form a pocket on the face of the glove. Also, a great cloth patch and only a minor flaw in the inner lining.
horace11.JPG
horace1.jpg
horace2.jpg
horace3.jpg
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » August 29th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Mike**Mize wrote:Looks like only a partial cloth label. Too bad about that. I guess all the silver on the front makes up for that to an extent. Still can't wait to check it out when it arrives.

Mike, I think you'll like the Sheely - the tag is mostly missing but the leather is top notch and the stampings are great. That is one of the mitts I sold at the National. In fact, with the exception of the black D&M, the last few that have been posted were ones I sold. And murph, I know you were worried about my bottom line, but I'm happy to report I did fine. 8)
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Mike**Mize » August 29th, 2011, 3:19 pm

Small world, Brett. I think I remember selling one of my Sheely gloves to your Dad a few years ago. That one was from the Rip Collins collection and at the same time the stamping wasn't anywhere near as good as this one. I know about the leather. That's what got me focused on going after this one. I'm sure I'm going to like it.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » August 29th, 2011, 3:20 pm

Different Sheely's - I still have the one from the Rip Collins collection here with me. :)
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Mike**Mize » August 29th, 2011, 3:26 pm

I get that Brett. Different glove; same great thick leather.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » August 29th, 2011, 3:30 pm

mikesglove wrote:A 1915-20's Horace Partridge 1" web glove sold for $456 on ebay. the glove itself is in pristine condition with nice markings in the pocket which are pretty rare with this type of white leather. The glove also features a variation of the Stall & Dean patented pocket. The circular stitching inside the wrist opening defines an area where the padding was reduced to more quickly form a pocket on the face of the glove. Also, a great cloth patch and only a minor flaw in the inner lining.
The attachment horace11.JPG is no longer available
The attachment horace1.jpg is no longer available
The attachment horace2.jpg is no longer available
The attachment horace3.jpg is no longer available

After looking in the 1918 catalog I'm pretty sure this model is the 8M - you can see a faint model number under the logo and the "M" is most visible. Pretty neat description of the glove in the catalog and I guess that accounts for the stitching in the lining.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2011-08-29 at 3.23.46 PM.png
horacepartridge-model8M-pic1.JPG
horacepartridge-model8M-pic2.JPG
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby murphusa » August 29th, 2011, 6:18 pm

Just wanted a shot at getting one or more before the eBay repeat
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby MikeB » August 29th, 2011, 6:29 pm

Hello,
I have been a lurker for some time, but this is my first post. I bought the Bill Terry glove shown earlier in this post. I received the glove today. It is a nice glove but has writing on the back in pen. This was not mentioned in the description, and when looking back I can now see some of the mark in one of the photos. The glove was described as "right off the sporting goods shelf." I feel like this was pertinent info that was left out, as was a clear picture of the writing on the glove. I guess I'm looking for opinions on what you would do. The front of the glove is really nice, but the writing is a turnoff and I wonder if this cost me more than it should have.

Thanks for any and all help,

Mike
Last edited by MikeB on August 30th, 2011, 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
MikeB
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby ScottWNJ » August 29th, 2011, 6:59 pm

That's a really nice looking glove. I cannot see the ink in the photo, but if it bothers you I would contact the seller pronto. He has a "7 day return policy" but it is from the date of purchase. This is a bit of a weasel because it should be 7 days from when you receive it. By his rules, his return policy ended today. If the glove has ink, it is "not as described". Personally ink doesn't bother me, but then again I don't buy $200 gloves. As I said, if it bothers you, I would contact the seller now. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

By the way, I think Ebay is changing the return policy to eliminate the time limit.

Scott
Scott W NJ
ScottWNJ
Gold Glove Poster

Postby murphusa » August 29th, 2011, 7:21 pm

if you paid by paypal you have 30 to 45 days for something that doesn't match the description but you need to return the glove and file a complaint within the timelimits
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby larjoranj » August 29th, 2011, 7:49 pm

Completely unacceptable to list a glove as mint without mentioning ink. If you feel cheated ask for a refund. If he refuses file a complaint. Give him a chance to make it right first.
larjoranj
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby MikeB » August 29th, 2011, 11:05 pm

Thanks for the responses. I have emailed seller and will see what happens.

Mike
MikeB
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby Mike**Mize » August 30th, 2011, 12:17 pm

Here's another August glove. It arrived while I was away on vacation. I've been trying to figure out exactly what model it is. This is a 20's Rawlings base mitt. In this instance, it has a complete although somewhat soiled Rawlings cloth label. Looks like a vintage replacement wrist strap, but nicely done and not done recently but rather perhaps during its playing days. I might be wrong about this. I've never seen a Rawlings base mitt with this kind of strap. Any insights about the model will be much appreciated.
Attachments
P1160073_00.JPG
P1160075_00.JPG
P1160075_00.JPG (113.52 KiB) Viewed 7953 times
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month