Glove of the week: Mar 31 - Apr 6 (D&M Lefty, Ken Wel Va

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the week: Mar 31 - Apr 6 (D&M Lefty, Ken Wel Va

Postby burker72 » April 7th, 2007, 8:06 am

What a great week! What a great hobby! There were plenty of really top notch gloves this week, something for everyone as far as styles, eras, etc. There were even more if you include all the great gloves with boxes - but I'm staying focused on the glove only offerings.

The first of many gloves from seller davidbvintage is the 1929 D&M G92. We've talked about lefty gloves on the forum before. Typically they bring a fraction of what a righty glove does, but in this case, where you have an older, absolutely mint glove from a popular manufacturer it may be less important. $539 on 21 bids.

There were two Ken Wel Dazzy Vance model gloves this past week, both 560 models. The first from davidbvintage went for $391 on 19 bids. The second was from seller hal-chase which netted $331 on 12 bids. Both gloves are in great shape. The first seems to be larger, or at least taller in size, which can help drive price, but I'm worried that may just be the picture. I'm predictable on this one, Vance models are my favorite, if it is a Ken Wel model or almost anyone else.

Ken Wel from seller: davidbvintage

Ken Wel from seller: hal-chase

Just like we had two Vance models there were also two Bouton PMs this week. Unfortunately, one of them was damaged slightly on the pinky. That one was absolutely mint otherwise - what a shame. So I opted for the Bouton model below, Spalding model 42-213 from 1965-67. This one went for $357 on 19 bids.

I think this one is my favorite glove of the week. A crisp Nokona G1 model, from the early to mid 1930s. Numerous great attributes on this one, but the reddish color and mint patch really make it stand out. The seller suggests it is the first model produced from Nokona, I can't verify that, but given the quality of gloves from davidbvintage, I suspect it is very true. I have a couple of Nokona G1 model gloves and they are the epitomy of the big fat old gloves that I think many people find eye-appealing. The span on this glove is huge, and the size of the pinky and thumb are practically comical. Of course, none of my Nokonas hold a candle to this on in terms of quality. This one went for $306 on 13 bids.

Last but not least is an outstanding Rawlings Big T Trapeze TT40 model with a Vern Law endorsement. To date I had only come across the TG70 and TG700 Law models so I'm guessing this is a fairly rare model. In terms of use, I much prefer the Big T. From a collector's perspective this glove is just an absolute beauty. This one went for $203 on 16 bids.

On another note, a great issue of the Glove Collector arrived this past week, thank you Joe.
burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Fred » April 7th, 2007, 4:47 pm

Dazzy vance's gloves are my favorite, I own 2, I did not know they were that commun though...
let's play 2
Fred
Rookie Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » April 7th, 2007, 7:48 pm

I had that Nokona on my watch list. My inclination would be that it is not a "first year" or 1930's glove.

The Catalog Sourcebook shows the 30's models as endorsed by Charlie Engle. The glove on eBay made no mention of any player endorsement.

The triple-tunnel web is more of a mid-40's design. Nokona sold a G-1 model in the mid-40's.

A nice old Nokona, but my guess is that the dating was off a bit.
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Nokona

Postby ebbets55 » April 8th, 2007, 3:24 am

The Charlie Engle model is a pre-war three finger (Lutzke type). Nokona's earliest gloves were 1" web models, which were from the early 30's. The G-1 above is a beauty but is clearly a 40's glove.

JD
ebbets55

So wha Happen?

Postby softball66 » April 8th, 2007, 8:27 am

Strange about that 4 finger G1 Nokona, like, why put G1 on this glove when Nocona had already put G1 on the Engle? It's nice to own a glove that says G1 as one would assume that this is the first glove design of the company when it started. Another sweet mystery from the Indian Glove Reservation. :roll:
softball66

Postby BretMan » April 8th, 2007, 10:33 am

You can easily pick up Nokona's just like this one for less than 50 bucks on eBay. The back of this glove looks 100% identical to a couple of the Joff Cross and Pinky Higgins models I have.

$306 for that glove? If anyone else wants one for three hundo, I have four more just like it! Let's make it $1100 for all four and...FREE SHIPPING! :D

Ebbets, thanks for the info on the "real" first-year Nokona G-1's. I have definitely never seen one of those!
BretMan

The sizes of the Dazzy Vance golves

Postby Mike**Mize » April 8th, 2007, 4:03 pm

Regarding the lighter colored Dazzy Vance glove (seller, myself)...I'll bet it's actually larger than the darker one that sold for a bit more. This brings up an important thing to remember as a seller (something I completely forgot to do). It's a good idea to indicate the length and width at the longest and widest points when describing an old glove. This one was something like 9 1/2" x 9 1/2". I have a couple more Vance gloves and the darker one resembles those that are narrower, smaller gloves. This lighter one had a nice "big glove" feel to it. I missed it so much that I went out and won that Vance lace back that ended last night. I have one other Ken Wel lace back and I've always liked that design and the extra wide and thick rawhide used to hold it on the wrist. Can't wait to receive it. :D
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby burker72 » April 10th, 2007, 12:43 am

Mike - it sounds like you were able to determine that the lace-back Vance was a Ken Wel model. The stamping shown in the auction looked like the font used by Ken Wel on some of its gloves. Were there any other markings? Congrats it is a great glove.
burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mike**Mize » April 11th, 2007, 7:27 pm

Hi Burker,
Well, as it turns out, I have another Ken Wel lace back that I'm hoping is a slightly smaller version of the Vance. I've always liked the look of it and wanted to find a larger one. I'm still waiting to receive it. I'll let you know when it arrives.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month