Glove of the week: Mar 24 - Mar 30 (AJ Reach Crescent)

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Glove of the week: Mar 24 - Mar 30 (AJ Reach Crescent)

Postby burker72 » April 2nd, 2007, 12:24 am

I wouldn't call it a great week this past week, but as always there are great gloves to be found. There were a couple of standouts that I left out because they were sold along with boxes and I'll stick to gloves for now...

One of the standouts this week was an AJ Reach crescent padded fielder's glove. This one topped out at $625. The palm side picture shows the glove to be in pretty good shape. The photo of the back side is not that clear. I suspect with a little more care with the pics this glove might have brought more. Also, there was very little description, not sure how I feel about that, it is like the seller is trying to hide something. Here is a question for the forum...is there a crescent padded glove that is regarded as a real top-notch model?

A JC Higgins Vance style Rip Radcliffe glove brought in $371 on 32 bids. I am a sucker for this style. The back side of the glove displays very well. The palm side seems to show some black spots on the finger tips and a spot on or around the endorsement. In all though, this glove looks to be a real beauty. Hard to say how I feel about the price. Because it is a store brand (Sears) I guess I've always felt that Higgins gloves were lower quality, probably a bias resulting from the really bad gloves that Sears has sold for the last 30 years.

Lastly are a couple of personal models that always stand out...First is the Rawlings BD Bob Dillinger model featuring a great red rawlings patch. This one nabbed $257 on 6 bids. And then we have a Roger Maris Personal Model from Spalding, model number 42-201. Always a popular endorsement, this one brought in 10 bids and $180. That the Maris glove brought in this much with a name boldly written across the back tells you how coveted they are...

burker72
Veteran Glove Poster

Reach Red Rolfe

Postby glove-works » April 2nd, 2007, 11:51 pm

I picked this Reach Robert "Red" Rolfe model 245L up last week. What a beauty. Turns out Mr. Rolfe was born about 10 miles South of where I live/grew up, and passed away about 10 miles East of where I live/grew up in 1969.

Glove-Works
Home of "the Works"
Glove Repair/Restoration & Sales
www.glove-works.com
glove-works
Gold Glove Poster

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month