Best of February 2011

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Re: Best of February 2011

Postby mikesglove » February 23rd, 2011, 2:37 pm

mikesglove wrote:Legendary Auctions has a few interesting gloves ending at the end of the month. Here is a link. Be sure to type in "glove" in the search window using "title and description" so you don't have to wade through hundreds of other listings. http://www.legendaryauctions.com/catalog.aspx

A beautiful 19th century basemitt. One thing I noticed about this mitt is the second crescent pad along the top edge. It is slightly flattened so I didn't pick it up at first. It seems kind of unique. I don't remember ever seeing that feature outside of later softball mitts.
legendary.jpeg
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » February 24th, 2011, 12:23 am

A vintage J.C.Higgins catchers mitt sold for $70 on ebay. The mitt still has the riveted wrist opening so it may be circa 1910-15. John Gambles patent of 1909 sought to eliminate the rivets in favor of the glove portion of the mitt being anchored to the perimeter lacing. This mitt appears to have both features and may be in a transition period. It is in real good shape with high quality construction. Nice cloth patch.
KGrHqMOKogE0fZVG9R9BNJojiM_12.JPG
KGrHqEOKnIE1MZNh0uBNJzz_12.JPG
Attachments
KGrHqYOKiIE0oo5ZhSBNJyQqHg_12.JPG
mikesglove

Postby Mike**Mize » February 24th, 2011, 6:25 pm

Curious story. I won the Lutzke glove a few nights ago. Yesterday afternoon the phone rings. It's the seller of the Lutzke telling me over the phone that the glove's in the mail. Says I'll need to sign for it when it arrives. He's excited to have gotten a good price for it. Next he explains to me that his grandfather was a man named William Rogell who played baseball. Soon as he said the name I can see the image of Shortstop Billy Rogell in my minds eye standing there with the rest of the Tiger infield. There's more, but I'll leave it there for now. Not your usual glove win on eBay to say the least.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » February 24th, 2011, 7:35 pm

Mike, hope it works out - that guy has some crazy feedback!
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby mikesglove » February 24th, 2011, 10:50 pm

mikesglove wrote:Legendary Auctions has a few interesting gloves ending at the end of the month. Here is a link. Be sure to type in "glove" in the search window using "title and description" so you don't have to wade through hundreds of other listings.
http://www.legendaryauctions.com/catalog.aspx
legendary mays2a.JPG
legendary maysa1.jpg

The MacGregor "Willie Mays" glove is interesting in that it is devoid of any model number and other markings. It was listed as a game model glove of Mays by Legendary Auctions. It is similar to the G105 Personal Model.
Willie Mays MacGregor G105 Personal Model Front Joey2.JPG
Willie Mays MacGregor G105 Personal Model Back Joey1.JPG
mikesglove

Postby Mike**Mize » February 24th, 2011, 11:26 pm

Brett, For some reason I think it will (work out). I only checked the feedback today when I noticed he left me some. It does seem very rocky compared to most. We talked for about twenty minutes or more and he sounded okay to me. I fully expect to see that glove at my doorstep sometime in the next two days. What was interesting was that he said he had his grandfather's gamer tucked away up in the attic. I know it sounds preposterous but his tone was one where I truly believe he was just realizing that people actually collect this kind of stuff. Time will tell. I offered to advise him on the "gamer". I'll keep you posted.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » February 25th, 2011, 12:58 am

A Nokona made Carmona basemitt from Mexico sold for $85 on ebay. Really a beautiful mitt with the rolled lace web and the distinctive seamed back using darts (I think that is the sewing term) to mold a curve to the edge of the mitt. Pretty cool. I've owned a "De Luxe" fielders glove with the same rolled lace web.
car1.jpg
car1.jpg (16.31 KiB) Viewed 9043 times
car.jpg
car.jpg (15.21 KiB) Viewed 9043 times
Below is a "Professional Model" mitt by Nokona
Nokona Professional Model Back1.JPG
Nokona Professional Model Front1.JPG
mikesglove

Postby Mike**Mize » February 25th, 2011, 10:46 am

Here's a couple of base mitts I came up with in February. One's a Wilson 550 Pro Model, the other a Rawlings Leacock top of the line LFB with a factory edge guard. I've never seen this feature on a Rawlings Glove before. Both needed some cleaning and and webs.
Attachments
Wilson 550 Pro No Seamless Thumb Base Mitt back jpg.jpg
Wilson 550 Pro No Seamless Thumb Base Mitt fr.jpg
Leacock  Rawlings LFB Backt 2.jpg
Leacock  Rawlings LFB Front 2.jpg
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » February 25th, 2011, 12:51 pm

I really like the Rawlings/Leacock mitt. Was that on ebay? If so, I totally missed it. Regardless, it is a distinctive mitt and a good find on your part. You've had others like that as I remember. You must have your stealth/cloaking device working.
mikesglove

Postby Mike**Mize » February 25th, 2011, 1:05 pm

Yep, I think you're right about that. It was on eBay, looking rather dark and dry and without a web. When I saw the heavy dark panel running across the top of the back, I just decided to grab it. It resembles a Goldsmith base mitt I have ( also posted on JD's site). The other one pictured here is nice, too. In Joe's book it's called the Wilson 550 "No Seamless Thumb" Professional Model which leads me to conclude that by 1940-41 the Seamless Thumb was such a big deal that Wilson felt it important to indicate that this was the old style. It's one of the softest most comfortable base mitts I own; very much like my Wilson Johnny Mize and my Rip Russell. And to think that the Rawlings Trapper is just around the corner ready to take over the market and leave these guys as just a memory.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » February 25th, 2011, 11:10 pm

I have one "Oven Mitt" style base mitt left in my collection, a 1940's MacGregor Goldsmith and it too is one of my favorites for the same reasons you gave.
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » February 26th, 2011, 4:17 pm

A Peerless brand "Lou Gehrig" glove sold for $700 on ebay. A pretty rare model with a nice endorsement. Seems to be in good condition.
KGrHqViME1Nl1LDFBNYBvEYog_12.JPG
KGrHqFg8E1fMgqV5zBNYBvHOSNQ_12.JPG
KGrHqZiwE1MZYfW6BNYBvLbw_12.JPG
mikesglove

Postby chippalini » February 26th, 2011, 5:45 pm

I picked up the US ARMY Elmer Riddle. Just got it in the mail. Very buttery, is gonna clean up nicely. Sorry I missed the Doak.
chippalini
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mike**Mize » February 26th, 2011, 10:46 pm

Got in the Lutzke today. Turns out it's really nice. Just had a chance to clean it a little and snap a couple of pics in the lamplight. Better pics to follow.
Attachments
P1140205.JPG
P1140205.JPG (78.44 KiB) Viewed 8932 times
P1140204.JPG
P1140204.JPG (60.8 KiB) Viewed 8932 times
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » February 27th, 2011, 1:20 am

The Goldsmith "Elmer Riddle" is such a solid glove. It looked like it would clean up nicely from the pictures. The D&M "Lutzke" on the other hand didn't look so promising from the ebay pictures. I didn't believe it would clean up so nice. Just goes to show how good gloves can come from bad pictures.
mikesglove

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month