Best of November 2010

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Best of November 2010

Postby AkBandit » November 1st, 2010, 2:36 pm

Well I hope November is half as good as October was. There are some nice gloves ending on Ebay in the next couple days and I will post when completed. As always if any forum members find a gem, please post them.
AkBandit

Re: Best of November 2010

Postby AkBandit » November 1st, 2010, 11:06 pm

If this is how November is going to start, I am going to have a hard time topping this one. Although the auction doesn't end until 11/2, I couldn't wait to put this up. Here is a beautiful 1890 - 1900 (guessing here, any help is appreciated) webless crescent glove. There are a couple holes in the lining but for a glove this old it is in pretty good condition. Currently, as of posting, the bidding is up to $1,404.00, doubling in price the last 24 hours. I will post a final price after the auction. Enjoy!

Final Price was $2,800.00
AkBandit

Postby AkBandit » November 3rd, 2010, 1:47 am

First up tonight is a 1930's Marathon 4227 Tony Lazzeri glove. This glove was offered for $325.00 and sold for a best offer of $200.00.

Next up is a 1960's Sonnett T6Y Bobby Allison glove, in brand new condition, with the box. It sold for $170.09.

Lastly tonight is a 1940's Wilson A2110 Ted Williams glove in near-mint condition offered up by VintageBrett. This beauty sold for $336.00.

AkBandit

Postby AkBandit » November 4th, 2010, 2:27 am

A Babe Ruth D&M G41 Replica glove sold tonight at Hunt Auctions for $138.00. The description said light wear and soiling on the pinkie. Serial numbered 393/714.

A 1950's Rawlings PM1 Gene Woodling glove and box sold on ebay for $334.99. According to the Vintage Baseball Glove Price Guide (VPG) Woodling is a rare find.

Finally tonight a very rare (VPG) Jesse Haines Wilson W60. Haines played from 1918-1937, playing 1 game for Cincinnati as a rookie and 18 seasons for the St. Louis Cardinals. The glove sold on ebay for $123.71.

AkBandit

Postby AkBandit » November 5th, 2010, 2:12 am

Tonight a couple of baseman's mitts and a 1940's Wilson.

Here is a Reach Model 4B Buckleback baseman's mitt that shows up in catalogs from 1914-1936. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can narrow down the glove year. It sold tonight for $82.99.

Next up is a Spalding Model 1335 trapper baseman's mitt that was made between 1953-1960. It sold for a buy it now price of $85.00.

Finally is a Wilson Model 607L made in the late 1940's. I really like this one because it is lefty model. It also has a nice Wilson patch. It sold for $99.95.

Last edited by AkBandit on November 18th, 2010, 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AkBandit

Postby Mr. Mitt » November 5th, 2010, 2:08 pm

Massive live bidding interest in this 32x44 advertising poster, ending at $9,560!!!
Attachments
lf.jpeg
Mr. Mitt
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby murphusa » November 5th, 2010, 7:06 pm

Told you it was real
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby AkBandit » November 6th, 2010, 1:16 am

Heritage Auctions sold this Stan Musial baseman's mitt today for $5,975.00. Here is the description from Heritage Auctions.

Late 1940's Stan Musial Game Used Fielder's Glove. Cultured collectors are well aware that fielder's gloves are the toughest of all Major League baseball game used memorabilia, and the reason for this is quite simple. Even when all players were issued two home and two road uniforms they were still far more plentiful than gloves, as players tended to use just one glove per season, and often the same one for multiple seasons. Such certainly appears to be the case with the presented Hall of Fame-quality specimen, as it exhibits phenomenal use from Stan the Man, dating to the first half of his storied career.

The left-handed Rawlings T70 RY first baseman's mitt is the company's top of the line professional model, the lack of player endorsement on the glove a further indication of its non-retail status. The "claw style" perfectly matches an (included) image of the St. Louis Cardinals legend fielding a high throw in a photo Musial himself dates to 1948 along with his 10/10 blue sharpie autograph, and is likely the same glove exactly. The included letter of opinion from MEARS (which is the only Musial glove they have ever evaluated) makes mention of "a letter from Michael Sessoms, which outlines how he obtained this glove from Mr. A.P. Strelick, who received the glove in the late 1940's/early 1950's. Mr. Strelick was related to Mr. Peizer Nagy, who was married to Helen Labash, whose sister was Lillian Labash Musial, Stan Musial's wife." Unfortunately this letter has been lost. A second letter of opinion from leading glove expert Joe Phillips likewise accompanies the lot. A 9/10 black sharpie signature from Musial on the thumb of the glove, acquired decades later, completes the package. LOA from MEARS. LOA from Joe Phillips. Auction LOA from James Spence Authentication (autograph). Pre-certified by PSA/DNA (autograph).

AkBandit

Postby AkBandit » November 6th, 2010, 1:17 am

A Spalding Roger Maris Model 1011 from 1959 sold on ebay for $167.51.

AkBandit

Postby BretMan » November 6th, 2010, 2:30 am

I don't delve into the world of game-used memorabilia, but am fascinated that people could drop big bucks on an item who's provenance is sketchy, at best.

The lack of a player endorsement is an indication of this glove's non-retail status? The Rawlings catalogs show the T70RY model being sold in 1943 and it was an unendorsed model. So the lack of a player endorsement proves...what? Nothing! Yet this "factoid" is offered up to bolster the claims of authenticity.

The catalogs show this model only in 1943. I get that players back then may have received and used fewer gloves than they do today, but what does a picture from 1948 have to do with it? It seems unlikely that that a professional player would be using the same glove five years later.

Why even mention that this glove resembles a glove in some random photo, when there were literally millions of similar gloves produced, and insinuate that this is "likely the same glove"? Seems like a stretch.

And the letter that "proves" all this has, conveniently, been lost.

I see they have included a LOA from Joe and you can pretty much take anything Joe says to the bank. But I imagine that the letter would state nothing more than this glove is authentic to the period and consistent with gloves of that era.

I don't know. Maybe the guys that collect pieces like this know their stuff. If it's real then it's a great item. But if it's real, why would a seller have to make so many sketchy statements about things that prove nothing. To me it just seems like a $6000 gamble- and the cards are stacked against you!
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan

Postby AkBandit » November 6th, 2010, 3:57 am

It was to bad they didn't include a picture of the 1948 photo for bidders. By the way there was only one bid/bidder on the glove.
AkBandit

Postby softball66 » November 6th, 2010, 8:16 am

After writing a lengthy reply on this thread, it was "lost" after I submitted it. ??????
I will try to re-construct it but do this at a later time to cover some more ground as to the basis of my opinion on the mitt. Will do so later.
TGC
softball66

Re: more on the subject

Postby softball66 » November 6th, 2010, 3:25 pm

Game used gloves are not among my favorite collectibles, and I concur with Mr. Mitt. Hard to prove and in some cases, virtually impossible to prove, especially the further back in time one goes.
I agree with everyone's points previously posted. I've only helped a couple of companies with game used opinions, Heritage being one of them. I've kept fairly extensive records on previous game used glove sales. I own one game-used glove, that's all, and it's a post career glove.
Gamer bats are much easier to track because virtually 75% or more of the MLP bats I would guess come from Hillerich & Bradsby which archives extensive records of orders from the players etc. Uniforms
are fairly easy to track because of tagging etc and in some cases, exemplars and factory records. Not so with gloves which can, besides Rawlings, come from various other manufacturers with little or no record keeping of delivery or transactions.
When I was asked to offer an opinion on the Musial glove, a LOA from MEARS already existed on the mitt. As it turned out, MEARS had misdated the mitt to post 1951 but this glove had no web retainer which was required after 1950 the ML rule was passed on such construction. The Rawlings patch on the mitt was more suited to the 1940s than the 1950s too.
Had I been asked to "grade" this Musial glove I would not have given it high marks. I did not delve into the provenance of the mitt except to note that MEARS dated the glove into the early 1950s when the mitt's submitter wrote that the mitt was given to them in the late 1940s.
1. On Brett's point that 1943 had no endorser. That is true except Musial didn't play first base until 1946. By then McQuinn's name was on the T70RYs and T70s after that. The fact that his name was not on this glove, "might" have indicated that it was not, thusly, a retail glove. It is correct hand for Musial and Rawlings best first basemitt of the era, suitable for a ML Player.
2. On the photo, I did some internet searches without finding anything closely matching, also some Rawlings Roundups, personal photos and cards where Musial was using a glove (mostly fielders glove). I did have the picture Heritage discussed in that it was dated by Musial for 1948 against Pittsburgh. The scoreboard showed a 1946 date though. The picture just shows Musial at 1b but with nothing on the mitt that would have been shown a match even with a closeup of the palm side of the mitt had been available
3. Absence of a marker number on the mitt? Often marker uniform numbers will be put on players gloves so that players can distinguish between similar gloves by fellow players. This usually occurs predominantly with fielders gloves and less with catchers mitts and basemen mitts due to fewer players at the positions with specified mitts. There is no marker number on this mitt but this might be explained that Musial likely would have been the only left handed first baseman on the team and not need to distinguish his mitt. Dick Sisler and Nippy Jones for instance other regular first basemen of this time period on the Cardinals were right handed.
4. I did not write the auction's descriptive copy for the mitt which contains some hyperboles and the heading misguides calling the mitt a "fielders glove."
5. In my records of game used gloves, which is by no means complete, I find this to be the second Musial glove to make it to auction, the other being a glove Musial allegedly gave to an broadcast announcer and the glove had been bronzed.
6. Given the troubles MEARS has recently undergone with the Pete Maravich warmup jacket as has been posted on the game used forum and on the MEARS on site bulletin board, this may have weakened the interest in this Musial mitt.
In the end the potential customer must decide for himself, with the objective information provided, whether the item is what is is based on provenance or examination of the glove. In my efforts to make a determination of take the stance of a skeptic and try to disprove the purported belief.
I hope my reasoning here helps others who need information on game gloves if they need it and I certainly don't disagree with any of the previous posts written on this subject.
When I was at the live auction and watching the Rawlings Mantle poster I mistakenly wrote down $800 instead of $8000 on the sale price. But what a surprise that was.
When I was called in to review two gloves at Heritage before this auction with the Musial mitt being one of them, the other purported game used glove was that of Willie Keeler. Though it turned out to be for the wrong hand and didn't match up to being a top of the line glove. What was puzzling was the fact that we found photos of Keeler throwing with both left and right hands.
Any forum member can email me at glovecollector@mac.com for further discussion.
TGC
softball66

Postby AkBandit » November 6th, 2010, 8:54 pm

It was a good Saturday for vintage gloves. Three one inch webs and a tornado palm baseman's mitt.

Leading off today is a 1915's Spalding one inch web fielder's glove. This sold for $137.50.

Batting second is a youth model 1910 - 1920's (ebay description) one inch web glove. There is no visible model or maker on the glove. It sold for $147.50 with buy it now.

In the three hole is a great looking 1915's A.J. Reach one inch web baseman's mitt. A nice two tone mitt that sold for $510.00.

Every team likes to have a heavy hitter batting clean-up and today is no exception. Batting fourth is a D&M Tornado Palm baseman's mitt. According to the description from the seller, the lining is shot and will need to be repaired and there is a small hole at the base of the thumb. This glove lasted less than two hours on ebay and sold for the buy it now price of $1200.

AkBandit

Postby AkBandit » November 7th, 2010, 2:28 am

I'll finish off a really nice first week of November with two more gloves.

Fisrt is a nice light colored Nocona Billy Loes Professional Model GC. A really nice Nocona patch and the only flaw is the previous owners name written the entire length of the thumb. It doesn't show on these pics, but a third pic on the auction clearly shows it. This sold for a buy it now price of $150.00.

Next is a 1910's Full Web Crescent Pad fielder's glove. There is a name on the back and according to the description the lining is loose. Other than that, this glove is a beauty. It sold for a best offer price of $900.00.

All in all a pretty good first week. Hope it stays this strong for the rest of the month.
AkBandit

Next

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month