Best of October 2010

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Best of October 2010

Postby vintagebrett » October 3rd, 2010, 8:16 am

Thanks to all the contributors, especially mikesglove for the September edition. Studboy will be handling October duties.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Re: Best of October 2010

Postby Studboy » October 3rd, 2010, 8:42 am

I'm on it! I'll probably do a weekly recap, You guys that watch online auctions better than me please drop me a message if you see a gem. I see there is a "holy grail" glove ending soon!
Studboy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Studboy » October 3rd, 2010, 10:22 pm

Let's start off Octobers best with this Ken Well zipper back basemitt. Probably a Gehrig, though not top condition the mitt still brought $1724.00. I'd love to see it cleaned up.
Studboy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby BretMan » October 4th, 2010, 12:11 am

Good thing for the seller that he rejected the $250 offer to end that auction early!

Kind of amazing to see one of these pop up where the seller has absolutely no idea what he has.
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Studboy » October 7th, 2010, 9:37 am

Quick recap of week one, Though hard to belive with a Gehrig zipper back, week two looks like it will kill week one with some big dog gloves on the block! Besides the Gehrig, a couple other notable gloves for week one include:

Bucky Walters endorsed glove with the Rainey trap web selling for $99.00

Max Carey endorsed Goldsmith, tuff Hall of Famer glove, sold for $383.00

And for you newer collectors, I nice Rawlings XPG6 Mickey Mantle Personal Model HOH selling for $406.00
Studboy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Studboy » October 10th, 2010, 6:18 pm

Possible candidate for glove of the year ended today for a whopping $7699.99 ! Spalding Full web Tornado palm had 26 bids with 9 different bidders over $2000.00. If you missed it here are some pix:

Studboy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Studboy » October 10th, 2010, 9:27 pm

Another Beast ended tonight, This one was a full size Spalding Crescent pad glove ending at $2125.00 on 19 bids. Looks to be white and in great shape with a very nice patch. Wonder what it would have done if it was not a lefty?

Studboy
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » October 11th, 2010, 6:52 am

Wow, those were two great gloves. It's funny that you don't see anything worthwhile for a couple months on eBay and then, BOOM, a couple beauties that end within a few hours of each other. The Tornado Palm was a real treat to watch and exceeded my initial expectations of where it might end up. It is a super rarity and looks like it will clean up into a spectacular example. We often time sees the "homemade" versions of these gloves on eBay so it was nice to see a factory example.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Mike**Mize » October 11th, 2010, 3:47 pm

This kind of item (The Spalding Player's Choice Tornado Palm) brings up a lot about the hobby of vintage glove collecting. Glove collectors have to dare to dream. I had three bids on that glove and I actually prepared in a number of ways to win it ! . I was over $2,000.00, but really not even close. Still, what a great glove to even have a chance to look at over the last several days. I have no doubt that as time goes forward, this particular glove will become rarer and rarer. I'm pretty certain that I've never set eyes on one of these before. If you look in Joe's source book, it appears that it didn't stick around that long. My guess is that as beautiful as all that quilted leather is, I bet it didn't really have much of an effect on the catching process. But then, who cares? This is a very special glove.
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby Number9 » October 11th, 2010, 4:28 pm

What a great start to the month! It's always fun seeing the rare and desirable show up on ebay. Six or seven days of anticipation building up to ten minutes of enthusiastic bidding. It's great to see.

FYI, if the winner of the recent Ken-Wel zipper back reads the forum, I've got authentic vintage parts from another Ken-Wel zipper back catcher's mitt that will work perfectly as replacements. I've worked on three of these mitts in the past six months or so. Before/after photos and references are available.

william@huntingtonbaseballco.com
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9

Postby Mr. Mitt » October 11th, 2010, 5:01 pm

William (Number9) has cleaned several gloves for me, all of which came back much, much better than I could have done myself. He does as little or as much as you want and never, ever alters a glove unless you give him the go-ahead to do so. For years I've been against restoration, mainly because the work I've seen resulted in complete butcher jobs. William has drastically changed my thinking on this subject because he uses original parts from donor examples, usually from the same manufacturer. In short, he's a true artist and I would trust no one else to the task of cleaning, relacing, refurbishing or restoring a vintage glove.

To the winner of the Ken-Wel zipper-back mitt. Given the Gloversville, NY patch, there is no question that it is a Gehrig model 632 (Utica, NY patches may or may not be Gehrigs because Ken-Wel continued to produce the zipper-back after losing Gehrig's endorsement). I urge you to send it to William, at least for a cleaning. If there are any remnants of stampings left, he will find them with proper cleaning and leather conditioning. If you want to take it a step further, the fact that he has, on hand, an original Ken-Wel zipper apparatus, makes the decision a no brainer. Get it done right, it will make you happier to have it in your collection and its value will increase much more than whatever the cost will be to get the work done correctly.
Mr. Mitt

Postby murphusa » October 11th, 2010, 6:59 pm

vintagebrett wrote:Wow, It's funny that you don't see anything worthwhile for a couple months on eBay and then, BOOM, .

and where is this one going. Already at $1125.00 with 6 days left to go

Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby stockbuddy » October 11th, 2010, 10:14 pm

Studboy and others on the thread. Great job digging those vintage gloves out. I watched the white lefty crescent glove. It is very nice indeed. You know, somehow I completed missed the listing of the tornado palm so very glad that studboy put it on our thread. What a cooooooooooooool glove. Man, that is a heafty price for it but it sure seems like a rare beauty.

Dave
stockbuddy

Postby murphusa » October 12th, 2010, 3:58 pm

Wow the hits just keep on coming.

A short finger Doak at $825.15

Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby Studboy » October 14th, 2010, 10:56 pm

Here is an October Week 2 recap. Really one of the best weeks for gloves in recent memory lead by the Spalding tornado palm & the Spalding Crescent. Here are a few others great gloves from the week:

The $825.00 Doak Murph mentioned in a previous post.

KenWell Dazzy Vance 560 Box in very nice condition went for $400.000.

Mint Spalding Phil Rizzuto 1025 with box selling for $510.00

Full size A.J. Reach White full web, nice looking glove, wool lined but had some issues on the back side sold for $324.00

And Finally a nice full size Black D&M full web ended tonight at $240.00
Studboy
Veteran Glove Poster

Next

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month