Best of August 2010

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Re: Best of August 2010

Postby mikesglove » August 31st, 2010, 10:50 pm

Circa 1920 Spalding 1" web glove in good condition for $160 on ebay. Probably went for a little more because of the "YMCA" logo in the palm. One of these "YMCA" logos came up before and it had a popular response.
B1PUSDgWkKGrHqUOKiUE08rVJBMdqy6jQ_12.JPG
seams look in great shape
B1PUR1wBGkKGrHqYOKm8Ew9Bs7C7-BMdqy5n1LQ_12.JPG
piping in good shape and nice cloth patch
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Mike**Mize » September 1st, 2010, 12:12 pm

[attachment=1]Stubby Doak front.jpg[/attachment]

Here's a look at the Bill Doak glove mentioned earlier in Gloves for August. I won it and received it a couple of days ago. I've got to believe that this is a Kenworthy (short fingers) Model. Great look to it and so tough it cleaned up without much struggle. It has its Rawlings patch in great shape and stitch marks where the old Bill Doak cloth label used to reside.
Attachments
Stubby Doak back.jpg
Stubby Doak front.jpg
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » September 1st, 2010, 2:06 pm

thanks for posting the pictures. I thought it may be the "Kenworthy" model because of the short fingers. Good deal with the cloth patch still there. Nice job of cleaning it up!
Mike
mikesglove

Postby Mike**Mize » September 1st, 2010, 7:20 pm

Thanks, Mike,

I'm tickled to have found it. I remember spotting it on eBay with an atypical lacing (See eBay listing photo on earlier post). But, those two forward facing grommets on the first finger triggered a response in me; Watch List....Bid....Bid More......and even bid more still. By the time the ending rolled around, I had $320.00 sitting on this glove. $127.00 was a sweet price. I like Doaks and I think the whole story of a pitcher designing a glove and throwing spitballs and really revolutionizing the pocket of the baseball glove is simply amazing. I also love short finger gloves. I've got three J Model Doaks that feature short fingers. I just tracked down a third (and best for me, yet) D&M Hughie Critz, with short fingers.

Glad you like the cleaning job. It feels right to me. I just try to remove that old congealed black stuff and give the current color of the leather a chance to show itself.

Best,
:D
Mike
Mike**Mize
Gold Glove Poster

Postby cubsrno1 » September 1st, 2010, 10:48 pm

This one flew under the radar. I say its easily the bargain of the month and perhaps the year. BIN for $99.95. Congrats to the new owner.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0436894333

Image[/img]
Image[/img]
Image[/img]
cubsrno1
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby mikesglove » September 1st, 2010, 11:53 pm

I would say you are right! I did not even click on this item, just past it by. Even in the rough condition it is a bargain for a D&M "Babe Ruth" glove
Last edited by mikesglove on September 2nd, 2010, 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » September 2nd, 2010, 12:06 am

Mike**Mize wrote:Thanks, Mike,

I remember spotting it on eBay with an atypical lacing (See eBay listing photo on earlier post). But, those two forward facing grommets on the first finger triggered a response in me; Watch List....Bid....Bid
I spotted what you did even though the listing did not specify the glove as a "Doak" model. You had the eagle eyes and spotted a key feature. That's how you get a good deal and keep some money in your pocket. That can make ebay fun!
doak.JPG
doak.JPG (25.15 KiB) Viewed 11242 times
mikesglove

Postby BretMan » September 2nd, 2010, 12:07 am

Incredible that a seller would actually include, not one, but two separate close-up photos of the Ruth signature (leading me to believe that he thought there was some significance to that feature) yet not mention the name "Ruth" anywhere in the auction listing!

Under the radar? It's like that ad was designed to fly under the radar. That's like the Stealth Bomber of white D&M Babe Ruth glove auctions!
Click to Visit >> The Glove Shop On-Line
BretMan

Postby mikesglove » September 2nd, 2010, 12:27 am

That is very funny and a real head scratcher. There are all sorts of crazy scenarios regarding the seller in my head . The "Stealth Bomber" is a good one. Again, that is what can make ebay so fun!
mikesglove

Postby mikesglove » September 9th, 2010, 12:54 am

Just a fabulous glove. An early 1950's Rawlings three finger "Stan Musial" "Playmaker Supreme" Personal Model. almost near mint condition! All the silver stamping in the pocket is great. Super cloth patch. Sold for $171 on ebay
B01EptQWkKGrHqRioEqwwjW1BMcCIoQg_3.JPG
B01EtBgBmkKGrHqFiEEqtYBKCeBMcCIyfOu_3.JPG
mikesglove

Postby murphusa » September 9th, 2010, 10:20 pm

got this at the end of the month

Mantle MM9 sealed in a Rawlings Bag
Attachments
!B0wtjCw!mk~$(KGrHqIOKm8Ew9GZh0NIBMbs2J8Ziw~~_12.jpg
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby mikesglove » September 10th, 2010, 2:01 am

I missed this listing of the MM9 on ebay. sold for $177. A little different to see a glove come in cellophane. Just didn't register in me. I bet you are not going to be opening it up anytime soon. It is a nice find! You know you have a mint glove in there. Reminds me when my friend and I would go through the cellophane baseball packs at the store looking for a rookie or star player on the front. We knew the day the vendor was coming to refill the supply and my friend and I were right on it.
Mike
mikesglove

Previous

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month