Best of July 2010

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Best of July 2010

Postby GloveCrazy » July 1st, 2010, 9:43 pm

My ebay searches have proven quite pourous so please send me links to glovecrazy@aol.com (or post directly). Thanks for your help.

OK, let's start 'er off with a couple interesting buckleback fielders and a BARGAIN Gehrig. As hard as it is to believe there just aren't that many buckleback fielders Rawlings and Stall & Dean gloves floating around, which is probably why they ended higher than some would have expected.

The large model Rawlings G700 XV model went for $256 on heavy bidding. Although pricey, I have a feeling that the new owner won't part with it anytime soon with all its upper-end features (and Doak lacing). Mark W, did you get that one?

Rawl G700 F.jpg
Rawl G700B.jpg

I'm a Stall & Dean guy who doesn't have a 30s buckleback fielders glove yet, but the $299 BIN scared me off. Seems like a bit of a reach being a lefty with ink on the strap and a described stiff lining, but to each his own. Hope the new owner loves it.

SnD BB F.jpg
SnD BBB.jpg

And then there's the faint Gehrig that ONLY went for $202.50. I assumed that the reserve would be much higher which taught me a valuable lesson. Darn lessons!

Gehrig B.jpg
Gehrig F.jpg
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Best of July 2010

Postby Rickybulldog » July 1st, 2010, 10:22 pm

vintagebrett wrote:Glovecrazy has the month of July - you're on the clock!

Atta boy Rob! Take care of the end of June and hit up July! Don't let them put the pressure on you, I say you be you!

Rickybulldog

Postby GloveCrazy » July 2nd, 2010, 7:16 pm

Huh? Anyway, Best of the Month is one of my favorite sections and I've been looking forward to it. So much so in fact, that I may have jumped the gun a little on the above Stall & Dean. The listing said that it had ended with a BIN but the glove has since been relisted. Don't worry ebay searchers, I won't be listing others until the auctions have ended (at least that's my intent).

I really like the look of this 10s/20s Reach 1B that went for a very reasonable $120.

Reach 1BB.jpg
).
Reach 1BF.jpg

This Spalding lefty crescent fielders was a great deal at $717, and looks like it has great cleanup potential (especially if that is only pencil writing on the back of the fingers). Someone got a nice tall one!

Spld L CrscB.jpg
Spld L CrscF.jpg
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby GloveCrazy » July 9th, 2010, 1:57 pm

Alright, so the winner on this one is a litle nutty but it was love at first site. It is a very bewitching tall 30s laced-index-finger that went for a whopping $660 with three very committed bidders (darn it).

Laced F.jpg
Laced B.jpg

A beauty 40s black/tan George A Reach COC military issue lefty for $202. This one will display well.

GeoReach F.jpg
GeoReach B.jpg

This over 9" Reach 1" web that went for $225.50 looks like a real softy with nice eye appeal

Tan Reach 1 F.jpg
Tan Reach B.jpg
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby murphusa » July 9th, 2010, 5:08 pm

came in second on the black and tan but found this listed and snagged it in the first minute it was up for $175.00
Attachments
!B)drzew!2k~$(KGrHqF,!isEv1+zvmeEBMNj-U5rSg~~_12.jpg
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby mikesglove » July 13th, 2010, 9:30 pm

A really sought after glove on ebay with a winning bid of $1125. I did not bid on this glove but kept my eye on it because it is such a stunning example. A high end glove with clear, detailed markings on the front, a pristine back with a perfect cloth patch and to top it off, the rainey trap web. I have owned 2 Grove gloves in the past and they don't compare to this one.
!B)UhukQEWk~$(KGrHqIOKjIEwPcsWIP9BMM8fP3FLQ~~_3.JPG
!B)UhvDQCWk~$(KGrHqQOKnMEvyFryqulBMM8fSFF!g~~_3.JPG
mikesglove

Postby vintagebrett » July 14th, 2010, 12:57 pm

Great price for the Grove and good for the hobby. Looks like there were three people very interested. The underbidder can use his unused funds to buy his plane ticket to the National. :lol: There, he can beg the winning bidder for it. 8)
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Mitt » July 14th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Hahahahahahaha... My sentiments exactly, Brett! :lol: For $1125, a round trip ticket form coast to coast can be had with enough left over for a night or two in Motel 6! Should come as no surprise, it's listed as a "favorite glove in the hobby" in the winner's profile on Jim's site. :shock:
Mr. Mitt

Postby GloveCrazy » July 14th, 2010, 1:16 pm

vintagebrett wrote:The underbidder can use his unused funds to buy his plane ticket to the National.

Man, I really hope I can make it, and I really do appreciate the encouragement. Unfortunately, earlier in the day at the Hunt auction I was coerced into spending more than that Grove went for. Darn you, lack of control!

That Grove is a special glove in that it is top quality, big name endorsed, unique featured, and a beauty. The cross-collectibility of it generated lot of buzz behind the scenes. I actually thought it had the potential to go much higher given the history of that model.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Mr. Mitt » July 14th, 2010, 1:27 pm

Rob, I thought it would go even higher too. There was a lot of interest in it, several guys were debating about entering the fray, but I think two overzealous bidders ran it up too high to fast :? and the others were left on the sidelines. I used to own the one you have and always regretting letting it go. So did you win the webless at Hunt?
Mr. Mitt

Postby GloveCrazy » July 14th, 2010, 2:03 pm

I bid on the webless but didn't go the distance. Great looking glove that will make someone very happy. I'll post my first-time Hunt experience with pictures in the Hunt or FanFest sections at some point.

As for the Grove, let's just say that I could have gone deeper, and arguably should have gone deeper, but I wasn't real confident in being the likely winner given the amount of interest you and others have shown in mine over the years. My eyes almost jumped out of my head when I saw it listed (and your's too, I imagine). I bid in hopes to have a book-end or potential trader to you, but a lot of stars needed to align (like someone stealing your laptop or kicking you in the shin at the moment of truth) for me to end up with it. Congrats!
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Mr. Mitt » July 14th, 2010, 2:12 pm

Hahahaha... Wouldn't have worked as I wear shin-guards and knee-pads when I bid ! ! !
Mr. Mitt

Postby GloveCrazy » July 17th, 2010, 8:12 pm

Mr. Mitt wrote:Hahahaha... Wouldn't have worked as I wear shin-guards and knee-pads when I bid ! ! !

My Ninja, Frank, knows some special kicking places that are rarely padded.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby GloveCrazy » July 17th, 2010, 8:27 pm

The Frank Chance had some buzz and certainly is a good sign that rare endosed gloves are still hot. It wasn't a very old glove, is block endorsed, and had major lining issues but still went for $243.50. Not very many Frank Chance models floating around.

FChanceF.jpg
FChanceB.jpg

Speaking of tough endorsers, a beauty 10" tall Goldsmith George Burns went quickly at the BIN of $450.

GBurnsF.jpg
GBurnsF.jpg (20.69 KiB) Viewed 8299 times
GBurnsB.jpg
GBurnsB.jpg (19.45 KiB) Viewed 8299 times

Check out this beauty OK 3 finger splitfinger. I think the new owner will never regret stepping up to $350 on it (I wish I had). Brett?

OK 3F.jpg
OK 3Z.jpg
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby murphusa » July 20th, 2010, 6:08 pm

GloveCrazy wrote:The Frank Chance had some buzz and certainly is a good sign that rare endosed gloves are still hot. It wasn't a very old glove, is block endorsed, and had major lining issues but still went for $243.50. Not very many Frank Chance models floating around.

I won this auction, what is the age of the glove. Yes the lining is shot, it is just stuck inside and it has some pen and pencil marks on the back and face. Haven't cleaned it yet as I have been traveling alot
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Next

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month