Best of July 2010

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Re: Best of July 2010

Postby mikesglove » July 23rd, 2010, 8:23 pm

The big three Mickey Mantle gloves and mitt came up for auction on ebay this month and I was surprised at the prices. The MMP HOH, XPG6 HOH and DCT HOH were all up this month with the two gloves not meeting reserve and the DCT basemitt going for a ridiculously low $263. I remember a time when that rare mitt would bring 4-5 times that amount. The recession has sure taken a toll on some popular player models. The condtion of the DCT was not great since it was a well used glove in its day but someone got a lot of enjoyment from it and that is what they are made for. The MMP did not meet the $399 reserve and a lesser condition model solid in the $150 range. THe XPG6 was overpriced at an $895 reserve.
MMP HOH
BulkidwEWkKGrHqIOKnEEvyFrOUwBM-VZHB1_35.JPG
BulkidwEWkKGrHqIOKnEEvyFrOUwBM-VZHB1_35.JPG (16.74 KiB) Viewed 5786 times

XPG6 HOH
mantlehohglstore.jpg

DCT HOH
ByEc5gwBmkKGrHqVhsEw5UtDj48BMQLssto4Q_3.JPG
mikesglove
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby GloveCrazy » July 24th, 2010, 3:49 pm

Just say no to inked gloves ... yuck. Of course, I inked my Billy Williams endorsement when I was a kid, and wrote my name all over it.

I, too, have been tracking Mantles for a while and think the upper condition ones have held their value quite well. The ones below that in condition are the ones that are settling a bit. In this case, though, that is probably the most modern looking MMP I think I've ever seen, and the DCT just doesn't grab me either.

Earlier in the month a tough model MM8 picture box I believe went over $1,400 but didn't meet it's $1,795 reserve.

Mantle Box.jpg
Mantle Box2.jpg
Mantle Box F.jpg
Mantle Box B.jpg
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby GloveCrazy » July 24th, 2010, 10:21 pm

Musials also seem to be doing well. I had interest in both of these HOH models but came up short. The first is the legendary TG12 that went for $275, and the second a beauty correct-hand PM 3-finger that went for $175. I'm asking myself why I didn't bid more on the PM which are real tough to get in that condition. Congrats!

MusialF.jpg
MusialS.jpg

Musial PM F.jpg
Musial PM B.jpg
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby vintagebrett » July 25th, 2010, 8:37 am

If someone on here won this glove, when you get it, I'd love to see a better picture of the the tag. I have an American Quality crescent and I want to see if this one has a similar/same tag and maybe a location where it was made. Thanks
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-07-25 at 8.34.42 AM.png
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby murphusa » July 27th, 2010, 8:28 pm

So I'm a lefty and the Stall and Dean was $299.00 or best offer so I offered what I thought it was worth $135.00 including shipping. Seller said yes
Attachments
SnD%20BB%20F.jpg
SnD%20BB%20F.jpg (24.67 KiB) Viewed 5723 times
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby GloveCrazy » July 28th, 2010, 10:51 am

I think that's a pretty good pickup at $135, Murph ... not too many 30s buckleback fielder Stall & Deans floating around. The funny thing is that's what I offered early on when they initially listed it (with their Make Offer option) and they quickly shot it down. I'm glad you were able to get it. Congrats.
Last edited by GloveCrazy on July 30th, 2010, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby GloveCrazy » July 28th, 2010, 11:20 am

Note to all, there is an ebay Stall and Dean "Stuffy McInnes" that ends soon that I only mention because another collector asked me about behind the scenes, and I know it isn't flying under the radar. This was listed several weeks ago with a high opening but the seller didn't answer any questions about the endorsement (to at least two people). I won it, but before sending it the seller finally answered my previous question and said there was no endorsement visible. We ended up canceling the auction. Later , unsolicited, they sent me an email saying that they could see the endorsement but wouldn't elaborate when I asked additional questions. I've asked them the question again in the auction to get official clarification, but at this point in time still haven't received an answer. The whole thing has been a little strange in that they elaborated on some things -- using more advanced terms -- but the degree of endorsement is still a mystery. Unless I get a clear answer I am out and just thought you should know. It could be beauty, though. Good luck!
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby GloveCrazy » July 30th, 2010, 11:40 am

The month ended in a flurry with two sellers in particular selling some really nice leather. There are too many nice ones to list individually so check them out (the pictures expand if you click on them). What was the best buy of the bunch? I like the white Reach 1" web.

When Robbie thins down a little, we all are lucky dogs:

Lucky Dogs.jpg

Next up is a collector out of Canada who has quite the eye for condition:

Spiffy Eh.jpg

Note, there is a discussion on the Maris glove in another thread "What's the Rukus"
Last edited by GloveCrazy on July 30th, 2010, 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby murphusa » July 30th, 2010, 11:55 am

also this Ruth at $515.00
Attachments
0024C.jpg
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby GloveCrazy » July 30th, 2010, 12:42 pm

I'll end this month with a couple good values and officially pass the baton to Briggs86 ... have fun!

How can you go wrong with a crescent under $100 (in this case $85)?

Crescent CF.jpg

Crescent CB.jpg

And this Peerless Jimmy Gleason buckleback only went for $20.50

JGleesonF.jpg
JGleesonF.jpg (18.15 KiB) Viewed 5666 times

JGleesonB.jpg
JGleesonB.jpg (26.31 KiB) Viewed 5666 times

Like usual, I'm sure I missed several other good values or top gloves. What else was interesting in July?
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Previous

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month