Best of June 2010

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Best of June 2010

Postby vintagebrett » June 3rd, 2010, 7:17 am

Here we go - hope it's a fruitful month for everyone here.

Olympic glove box - this box was obviously older than the glove that didn't originally come with it. I'd not seen an Olympic box before. It ended at a modest $36.78.

MacGregor glove box for Frank Robinson personal model glove. I thought this box had a nice appearance to it with some interesting graphics. Another good deal with this one closing at $38.59.

D&M model G44 Walter Johnson glove. This one looked to be really nice - deep stampings, good leather. Nice price too at $761.99
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Re: Best of June 2010

Postby GloveCrazy » June 3rd, 2010, 8:35 pm

That Johnson brings back memories! I had been after a reasonably-priced antique showcase (the wide candy counter kind) for years and someone overheard me asking an antique store about one and he happened to have a really nice one in his garage. We discussed a fair price and agreed to meet on the weekend. I went over to his house the thing was absolutely buried way in the back of a spider-infested dusty garage (Indiana Jones doesn't like snakes; I don't like black widows). Even the American Picker boys would have had second thoughts. After helping him move everything out we realized that one of the glass panels was broken, and the thing was filthy. I still end up getting the darn thing -- which is still one of my main display pieces -- but it was a long draining experience on a 100 degree day. At the last minute I happened to ask in passing if he had any old gloves and the day finally took a positive turn. I ended up getting the D&M Walter Johnson for a decent price but man it was dirty. It was one of those where the endorsement was already strong and the dark look didn't detract much so there was more downside risk to cleaning (hello Tommy Smith), but it just kept haunting me until I cleaned it. It took hours and sore fingers but it was worth the effort. I got talked out of it several years ago and it looks to have changed hands a couple of times, but that glove is a nice sturdy model and the new owner will likely be pleased. If not, drop me a line and we'll work something out.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » June 7th, 2010, 12:59 pm

Spalding model 42-8373 Bob Gibson glove box - very neat looking box ended at $155.50

Early J.C. Higgins black leather sewn web glove - I bet this will clean up very nicely for the high bidder who paid $201.99

Rawlings model MM8 Mickey Mantle glove with box - no bidders with a starting price of $3995

Sonnett model HF4 George Kell glove with box - I have this model glove in mint condition and I can tell the winner they'll be happy with the quality. Seeemd to go a little high at $207.50.

Thomas E. Wilson Virgil Barnes grommet web split finger glove - nice looking model ended with a buy it now at $135

Early 20th Century envelop from Iver Johnson Sporting Goods, Boston, MA - don't see too many gloves from this company but they do pop up once in a while. Thought the envelope looked neat but a little too pricey for me at $31

Some decent stuff to come in the next week - you "Speed" freaks must be happy. :)
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » June 10th, 2010, 8:12 am

This Victor Wright Ditson sewn web model FMX Coast League sold for a best offer at $355. I'm pretty sure I saw this glove for sale at the National in Cleveland in 2007. It's similar to my FRX.

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby ebbets55 » June 16th, 2010, 9:40 pm

This Coast League Victor, Wright & Ditson looks remarkably similar to the one I saw at the National in Anaheim a few years back. Glovecrazy and I were walking around together when he pullled out his patented "hey look over there" move and tripped me while nonchalantly moving toward the glove. I got up quicker than he anticipated. He should have sprinted toward the glove as I surprisingly still got to it first. I picked it up and it had no price on it. I was praying it would be about $200 and then I would pounce on it. The owner came over and told me it was $750 and I don't remember what hit the table first, the glove or my jaw. I HAVE seen this glove before. It's super cool. You don't see a lot of Coast League gloves.

JD
ebbets55

Postby vintagebrett » June 17th, 2010, 7:52 am

Here are some more candidates for the moth of June:

Rawlings model BA Bobby Aliva - this looked like a steal for the buyer at $26.97

Unknown Chuck Dressen model glove - this was in a lot with another glove but ended at $126.67 - I'm guessing the Dressen endorsement was the reason. Looks like it will clean up nicely.

Stall & Dean Speed model - this didn't hit reserve the first time around but was snatched up with a best offer at $300.

Nokona model BM71 Joe Jackson 1B mitt - this one did $204.50.

Reach youth model white leather glove - nice looking piece that ended at a modest $80.95

Rawlings George Sisler 1B mitt - was surprised at the final price of $334 considering the missing tag. JD's got one for sale on his site if you missed out on this one.

Unknown Kiki Cuyler buckle back - purchased with a buy it now for $300. So much for my "Endorsed gloves don't do as well" debate.

Goldsmith Walter Johnson two tone leather sewn web - nice looking piece brought $500 with a Buy it Now.

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Mitt » June 17th, 2010, 9:16 am

That Walter Johnson is a killer!!! I never saw it, must have been snatched up quickly for that price. The seller left a lot of dough on the table by not going with an auction format.
Mr. Mitt

Postby murphusa » June 17th, 2010, 10:04 am

An Eddie Phillips Catchers Mitt closed at $239.00

Just throwing this in here, A Spalding 35" Pro Finish Hack Wilson Bat for $256.00 This should have gone for alot more but a bad title held the bidders away

Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby jpop43 » June 17th, 2010, 11:18 am

Don't usually do this, but was wondering if a forum member happened to be the high bidder for the Rawlings George Sisler mitt, and, if so, would be willing to consider parting with it for sale, trade, or a combo of the two. Check out some of our inventory at on our site, and let me know if anything moves you.

Jonathan
http://www.dugouttreasures.com
jpop43
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby okdoak » June 17th, 2010, 1:05 pm

That Walter Johnson is incredible! If I had seen it first, I'd be one happy glover. :mrgreen:
okdoak

Postby GloveCrazy » June 18th, 2010, 11:16 pm

ebbets55 wrote:He should have sprinted toward the glove as I surprisingly still got to it first.

Ya that sounds about right. For me I believe that was day three of the National as a dealer for the first time and I was already spent physically. I was in hockey shape at that point in my life but nothing had prepared me for standing on my feet all day (and trips through the floor several times a day). If I remember right you were out of town the first couple of days and came back fully energized (a la energizer bunny). My "look over there" attempts failed a couple times if I remember right (and you got that Vance in box on the same walk-through). Interesting glove, but the dude was SO high and inflexible on that one that neither one of us really even attempted serious negotiations.

As for this month, I ended up with the Cuyler and the Jackson (and the Speed is on its way). There's a long story with me and Cuylers dating back to the early days of wanting Jim's for years. I finally got a beauty and then had to sacrifice it in trade to Mike Ellis on one of our mega-trades. I really missed that one for years and then finally won a beauty replacement on ebay a couple years later though it wasn't cheap. It was one of those put a really high price just in case and then another collector did the same. I still didn't regret it because it filled that large void. The Cuyler and D&M Critz are my two favorite 30s buckleback fielders models because they are a really thick leather. This one is sweet and a Treman King label variety.

The Jackson is ok, but not as orange as in the pictures. I think they are a real good value at $200, even though they are after-career and a basemitt (not too many alternatives). I'll take another nice one at $200 if anyone has one available.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby ebbets55 » June 19th, 2010, 1:33 pm

There's a long story with me and Cuylers dating back to the early days of wanting Jim's for years.

You have definitely had a great month. My Cuyler you like is up for sale now. It was a tough decision between your old one I got from Mike and my old one but I flipped a coin. The lining is a hair better in my newer one (your older one). Cuyler gloves are super cool and so supple. I love them but don't need two. How many do you have now?

BJ, don't you have a cool Treman & King Doak? Rob, why haven't you jumped on it?

JD
ebbets55

Postby MTGLOVEGUY » June 20th, 2010, 9:40 am

Jim, The Treman & King Doak Moved last year to Vinny, But I do have the Ray Schalk Treman & King. Rob, any interst? I want a Cuyler other than my Marathon. Jim call me I'm ready for round 2. BJ
Wanted- HOF Endorsed Gloves, Cleveland Indians Endorsed Gloves.
MTGLOVEGUY
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby vintagebrett » June 22nd, 2010, 8:50 pm

Some more for the month of June:

Stall & Dean G.C. Alexander Speed model - $650

Beat up crescent - most likely a W&D with the Boston, MA tag - ended at $274

Goldsmith Curt Davis with Snare Web - to me this was the most undervalued item so far this month ending at $52 - how often do these early Snare webs show up.

Des Moines sewn web glove - and to me, the most overvalued ending at $315. Looks to be in great shape but pretty bland even with the cool horse stamping

Stall & Dean box - ended at $31

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby vintagebrett » June 24th, 2010, 11:56 am

Thinking about changing the title of this category from "Glove of the Month" to "What Rob Bought.." :)

Here we have a nice Rawlings Doak J model - I've not seen a J model with the webbing this one had. Seems like a pretty good deal at $115.50

vintagebrett
Site Admin

Next

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month