Best of April 2010

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Best of April 2010

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 3rd, 2010, 11:09 am

It's appropriate that opening day kick off with the sale of a beautiful glove, perhaps the finest example of a crescent buckle-web in existence. Circa 1890 is a little early to date it, but that's just splitting hairs. It's white, it's a crescent, it has both a buckle-back and buckle-web and it's in stunning condition! $4,851.09 on 25 bids equates to a happy seller and and happy buyer. I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying that this could be the glove of the year. As of now, it's head and shoulders above the rest of the pack. If competition arises, 2010 is going to be one hell of a year!
Attachments
Picture 2.jpg
Picture 1.jpg
Picture 1.jpg (36.54 KiB) Viewed 9031 times
Mr. Mitt
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Best of April 2010

Postby Rickybulldog » April 3rd, 2010, 11:41 pm

Cheers! I thought these guys were endangered! :wink:
Attachments
hehe.jpg
Rickybulldog

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 4th, 2010, 10:16 am

Classic! :lol:
Mr. Mitt

Postby cubsrno1 » April 4th, 2010, 10:26 am

What is that??? Chewbacca.. :shock:
cubsrno1
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 5th, 2010, 12:19 am

This "Bullet Joe" Bush endorsed D&M glove sold on a Buy It Now for $300. Any time you can pick up an endorsed full-web, grab it. This example, being a white glove of a player associated with three different championship teams ('13 A's, '18 Red Sox and '23 Yanks) made it all the more special.
Attachments
Picture 3.jpg
Picture 3.jpg (44.12 KiB) Viewed 8945 times
Picture 4.jpg
Picture 4.jpg (48.32 KiB) Viewed 8945 times
Mr. Mitt

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 5th, 2010, 12:30 am

Winchester gloves always command a premium and this very nice example of a 1927 WB4 basemitt takes your breath away. The stampings are bold, the lining is smooth and the patch is magnificent. One of the finest Winchesters I've ever come across. $600 on a best offer.
Attachments
Picture 4.jpg
Picture 4.jpg (38.66 KiB) Viewed 8942 times
Picture 3.jpg
Mr. Mitt

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 5th, 2010, 12:36 am

Given the recent discussion of waning interest in endorsed gloves, perhaps we should also take a look at boxes. This Ott box, though generic and not a picture box, was stolen for under $80. Seriously, a HoFer endorsed glove box for this price!?!? 98%-99% of boxes were thrown out, people. Think about it!
Attachments
Picture 1.jpg
Mr. Mitt

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 5th, 2010, 12:41 am

Not top of the line, but this Pee-Wee model is in NM condition with great silver remaining in the stampings. $68 bucks with Buy It Now.
Attachments
Picture 1.jpg
Picture 1.jpg (51.98 KiB) Viewed 8941 times
Mr. Mitt

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 5th, 2010, 12:49 am

Perhaps demand is creeping from turn of the century into gloves from the teens. Several full-web gloves sold recently, but this misidentified Reach (it's actually a Tryon) was the nicest with rolled leather piping and a smooth lining. For $305 on 12 bids, it should clean up nicely.
Attachments
Picture 2.jpg
Picture 1.jpg
Mr. Mitt

Postby Rickybulldog » April 5th, 2010, 2:01 am

That Tryon was killer. Loved the thumb guard and reinforcements in the finger crotches.

JD, you know where to "REACH" me on that one or was it Tryon? :D

The Joe Bush was nice. 2nd one like that I've seen! Love sewn web endorsed gloves. How bout that Waner still lurking?
Rickybulldog

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 6th, 2010, 1:23 am

One of my favorite mitts in the hobby is Stall & Dean's buckle-web "Speed Up" endorsed by Stuffy McInnis. A very small hand full of these mitts survived and this is the second nicest I've encountered. It began with a buy it now for $600 and ended with a best offer of $450. The buyer has to be extremely happy with his purchase as the one nicer example has changed hands a few times for several thousand dollars. On a side note, similar to Joe Bush (endorsed model sold a few days ago), Stuffy was on three different championship teams and has been a borderline HoFer for decades. Perhaps one day he'll be enshrined. The buyer of this mitt will be be even happier if that day ever comes! In the meantime, he should be very satisfied with the relatively low price he paid for it!
Attachments
Picture 1.jpg
Mr. Mitt

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 7th, 2010, 4:53 pm

This Spalding crescent ended at $825 with 21 bids, which is kind of surprising to me. It's sort of rough, but not terrible, so I'm wondering why it didn't garner more interest. Was it because of the auction ending time (people still at work or commuting home)? An 85+ degree April day in the northeast (California is always sunny :) ) had people out and about and not on their computers? Worse condition crescents have done better in recent months with nicer examples topping $2500. So, needless to say, I'm a bit perplexed.

Since I have the floor for a brief period, I want to address an issue that's been discussed before but always resurfaces when a seller wants to move a 100+ year old glove... the term "workman's". The seller of this glove used the phrase "crescent padded workman's" in his title. Well, it's just incorrect. A workman's glove does not have a crescent, nor does it have a web of any sort. Ask any laborer if there is padding in the shape of a crescent on the gloves he uses to do his job. While you have his attention, ask him if there's webbing between the thumb and index finger of the gloves he has tucked into his back pocket. He'd laugh at the prospect, as would a laborer from the late 19th century. True workman's gloves used in the game of baseball, which there are fewer in existence than people think, are crude gloves that actually resemble the type of glove a railroad worker, or the like, would have used to aid him with his trade. Crescent padding and webbing would have hindered his efforts. It's absurd to call a glove like this "workman's". I'll get off my soap-box now. :x
Attachments
Picture 3.jpg
Picture 1.jpg
Mr. Mitt

Postby Number9 » April 7th, 2010, 6:08 pm

Good points. This glove clearly is not a workman's glove, nor is it in the style of a workman's glove used for baseball.

A few more things to help clarify this "workman" or "not a workman" argument (for when it pops up again, which it will). While there were very likely to have been true workman's style gloves (intended for use as a laborer) that made their way onto the diamond, it would be nearly impossible to prove an old work glove's history as being strictly, or partially, tied to baseball. The term "workman" as it relates to baseball can also be misleading, or at least debatable as styles changed and progressed. Generally speaking, the workman's style baseball glove should be roughly the shape of the natural hand, not in the shape of a baseball catching device (fat fingers, elongated fingers, wide palm, webbing, etc.) The same can be said for a laborers glove, it would be snug throughout the entirety of the hand. That said, gloves that were manufactured in the workman's style for specific use as a baseball glove, were, at least, partially padded in some form. These were intended for a specific purpose on the ball field and they were designed to meet the given objective, which was to protect the hand from a sharply thrown or batted ball. A laborer's glove would have only protected against abrasion. Most full fingered ball gloves from the 1880's would have been used by a catcher (or in the outfield by a mollycoddle) and would have had some sort of palm padding at minimum. Both the lining, and the padding, would not be present in a work glove intended for labor. So, while the argument against a workman's style ball glove having a crescent pad is correct, it would have padding of some form, be it leather or wool/asbestos.

The truly hard to categorize gloves would be those that arrived between the workman's style ball glove and the crescent full web's of the 1890's. The web-less crescents that arrived around 1890 have most of the characteristics of a workman's glove while also hinting at the more purpose-built future innovations to come.

You picked a great month. I'm loving the daily updates!
Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9

Postby okdoak » April 7th, 2010, 9:59 pm

This is interesting reading for me because I have to admit that I know next to nothing about the workman's gloves. At the risk of asking a dumb question, I was wondering if the fact that those gloves had the familiar cut out on the back with a strap and button or buckle give it away as one that was used for sport instead of labor? Or did certain laborers use a glove of that same style back then, like the railroad workers in Jerry's example? I mean that when I think of a leather work glove, it never has an open back or wrist strap, but I know that styles have changed over the past 110+ years. I also live in Wisconsin where the first priority when choosing a work glove is warmth. :wink: Great gloves this month!
okdoak

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 8th, 2010, 10:49 am

Number9 wrote: So, while the argument against a workman's style ball glove having a crescent pad is correct, it would have padding of some form, be it leather or wool/asbestos.

Thanks for the input, William. I completely agree with what you've said. Here are a few pics of what I believe a workman's looks like, sans crescent and web. Notice the shape, snug to the hand. The backs of the few I've encountered do have the characteristics of a baseball glove with a strap as to differentiate them from one's used in labor. But then again, there aren't too many examples of those used for actual work remaining either, so we're speculating more than certain.

And no, unfortunately, this example did not turn over in the month of April ! ! !
Attachments
Webless Front Jerry.jpg
Webless Back Jerry.jpg
Webless Back Jerry.jpg (26.13 KiB) Viewed 8764 times
Mr. Mitt

Next

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month