Best of April 2010

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Re: Best of April 2010

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 8th, 2010, 1:01 pm

Oooooh... another endorsed model! This Dubow Lou Gehrig sold for a best offer of $1000. It has its problems (like, is it laced together with wire from a spiral notebook?), but a Gehrig is a Gehrig.
Attachments
Picture 3.jpg
Picture 1.jpg
Mr. Mitt
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 11th, 2010, 10:08 am

This respectable, tall, Reach full-web with a patch ended at $163 on 11 bids. I like the wear, going to look nice on a shelf!
Attachments
Picture 4.jpg
Picture 3.jpg
Mr. Mitt

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 11th, 2010, 10:26 am

An inordinate amount of Hornsby's have surfaced recently, but this Lutzke-style three-finger garnered very good interest (as they normally do). Decent condition with general flaws, but still ended at $237 on 15 bids. It's the wrong hand (he was a right handed thrower), so that could have hindered price escalation a bit. Wilson three-fingered Hornsby gloves carry the 632 model number and were top of the line gloves with magnificently soft leather and rolled leather piping. Nice examples have historically sold for about $1000, while a NM example of this coveted glove changed hands for $1950, according to my records. Its four-finger counterparts are the 648L (long finger length) and 648M (medium finger length), which are equally impressive in their material and craftsmanship. Wilson produced other Hornsby endorsed models such as the "Rajah" Hornsby Champion Batsman, but none compare to the 632 and 648 models as far as quality is concerned.
Attachments
Picture 2.jpg
Picture 1.jpg
Mr. Mitt

Postby GloveCrazy » April 14th, 2010, 4:57 pm

I ended up with the Stuffy Stall and Dean and am very pleased ... I love that model with the thick buckleweb! Of course Ricky and I mix up his name every time we talk about his gloves (Stuffy, Sniffy, Snuffy, etc.). Ricky, I see you are still looking for a nice Waner. Great pickup Jerry on the buckelweb fielders... that one is pretty special. As for the debate on workman definitions, Dave Bushing's book disagrees with the notion that workman gloves can't have a web. I tend to disagree as well with clear-cut absolute definitions, especially if we are using those definitions to denote decades. I believe there was overlap between models as different manufacturers tried innovative approaches to sell more gloves.
Trade with Rob
GloveCrazy

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 20th, 2010, 1:44 am

This George Kelly is beat to hell, but very intriguing. First off, it has problems. It needs a good cleaning, it has to be relaced and the buckle strap must be resewn. Whoever won it, please contact William at Huntington Base Ball Co. to do the job correctly. Just trust me, you won’t be disappointed. Now, what fascinates me about it is that it is the only Goldsmith Kelly I’ve encountered. I’ve watched endorsed gloves for more than 20 years, and I’ve never seen another, though I could be mistaken. Goldsmith had some of the earliest endorsements, so there is a high probability this could be the oldest Kelly found. Beyond that, I love the odd shape of the “V-notch” on the back of the mitt. One cool mitt that a smart buyer got for only $169. I’d love to see it after it’s been attended to.
Attachments
Picture 1.jpg
Picture 2.jpg
Mr. Mitt

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 20th, 2010, 1:53 am

I was watching this white, full-web Ratsch Peerless intently this past week. Not only it is in respectable condition, but you have to love that celluloid button! A really nice example of a tough teen’s maker that ended at $355.
Attachments
Picture 3.jpg
Picture 3.jpg (55.09 KiB) Viewed 7321 times
Picture 1.jpg
Picture 2.jpg
Mr. Mitt

Postby MGHProductions » April 21st, 2010, 6:12 pm

Here's the Gehrig cleaned up and relaced thanks to Brett.. Looks awesome!
Image Image
Image Image
MGHProductions
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 21st, 2010, 7:32 pm

That's a great job! Good work, Brett... and fantastic foresight, Matt!
Mr. Mitt

Postby vintagebrett » April 22nd, 2010, 2:32 pm

The Gehrig just need a little TLC - it didn't require much cleaning and it took to the Chelsea Leather Food well.
vintagebrett
Site Admin

Postby jpop43 » April 26th, 2010, 4:35 pm

Only a few days left for April...gonna be sad to see it go...what a great month for gloves/mitts...congrats to everyone who picked up a "keeper" over the past 30 days.
jpop43
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 27th, 2010, 12:56 am

This Doak is simply stupendous!!! Practically unused with a magnificent Rawlings patch and button, silver in the stampings, a super-smooth lining and rolled leather piping that's second to none. I'm ashamed to say I don't have a Doak in my collection and it took all my strength not to break my narrow collecting focus and bid on this beauty. It ended at $305 with 27 bids, congrats to the winner, enjoy it!!!
Attachments
Picture 2.jpg
Picture 3.jpg
Mr. Mitt

Postby crackofthebat » April 27th, 2010, 6:05 am

I was the winner of the Doak. Besides the great condition I have never seen a 5 BD with a sewn heel. It looks just like the original model Doak. Looking forward to seeing it in person! This is the first nice glove I have won on ebay in a long time.
crackofthebat
Veteran Glove Poster

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 27th, 2010, 10:43 am

So happy it's going to a good home! Congratulations Fred! :D
Mr. Mitt

Postby AkBandit » April 27th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Congratulations on getting the Doak. At least it is going to a fellow Doak lover. I watched it right to the end but it got out of my April budget. Looking at the bidder list, I hope the bidder that was new, with zero feedback, really wanted the glove and wasn't there just to run up the price. They bid 10 bids almost right in a row and then stopped. I'm glad it's going to a good home.
AkBandit

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 30th, 2010, 1:09 am

This cool Yale College glove sold for $335 on 24 bids. Was there demand because of its fabulous condition, its uniqueness, or were some Yale alumi bidding against each other? Doesn't matter, nifty glove!
Attachments
Picture 1.jpg
Picture 2.jpg
Mr. Mitt

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month