Best of March 2010

Discuss interesting gloves listed on eBay or other auction houses.

Best of March 2010

Postby Number9 » March 20th, 2010, 1:37 am

In like a lion.........There have been a couple sellers who have made it easy for me this month. In keeping with recent tradition, feel free to add anything you've been watching or buying as well. I tend to cut my watch list down to the 20's and below with a few exceptions here and there. Not all are gloves, I hope that doesn't ruffle too many feathers.

First up, a beautiful Ken-Wel Lou Gehrig zipper back. A stunner. I'm in the camp thinks it went cheap. $5403 was the final bid.

Next up, a very desirable buckle back, buckle web, with a crescent thrown in for good measure. Looks like you could still play catch with it too. This beauty fetched $1600

ImageImage

Another popular style that never really fails to bring a decent price is the pre-war three finger. This one is a Wilson Rogers Hornsby, LHT. Brought in $328.

Now for the paper.

I love this catalog. 1898 Victor with some very cool images. I hope whoever purchased this will scan it and send to JD for the library. A bargain at $240.

ImageImage

A super cool Draper & Co. cover from 1890 with some amazing graphics. Final bid was $54.

This last lot is a bit of a mystery. I picked up very clean example of the more ornate tag a few months ago. It looks very convincing, though, I suspect that now that another has popped up, it may not be vintage. Still, pretty cool and not a huge investment. This lot of two went for $46. What do you guys think?

Huntington Base Ball Co.
www.HuntingtonBaseBallCo.com
Number9
Hall of Famer Glove Poster

Re: Best of March 2010

Postby softball66 » March 20th, 2010, 8:44 am

Something here to like on everyone.
1. The magic of a zipper (as on the Muddy Ruel catchers mitt too), the allure of Ken-Wel and the Lou Gehrig connection: signs, and just well. . .the economic charisma is there for four figures.
2. A stiff belt is not required on #2 but tightening the belt helped both the hand fit and the adjustment on the length of the web which have always been fashionable.
3. The pre-war "bee sting" 3-fingers. I once helped a lady who had found one of these in a garage sale, a Jack Russell (no not the dog) and it fetched $362 on ebay, much to the delight of the lucky discoverer.
4. Victor logo one of my favorites, like the "Winged Victory."
5. The Irwin glove, the first significancy of a padded glove. Irwin the ballplayer "instigator" who asked for the padded prep work from D&M, like Bill Doak after him, later sued the company he brought the idea too.
6. Draper Maynard. Don't forget there's a nice little Musuem floor dedicated to Draper Maynard at the Plymouth library. Andy Michael once picked me up a couple of the figure 8 baseball sections which were sent out to local cottage industry folks around Plymouth, N. H. for sewing baseballs in the home.
EVERY glove has its story. :roll:
softball66

Postby okdoak » March 24th, 2010, 12:15 am

Great job, William! Though I didn't bid on it I wanted to add this one for the guys who like some of the later gloves. We've covered some of the more scarce Spalding PM's in past posts and this seems to be one of them, a 1960 Rocky Colavito model 1103. I would think that the seller was happy with the $430 it brought.
!BnuqHHQB2k~$(KGrHqEH-D0EtrQGqcPOBLksggSwWg~~_35.JPG.jpeg
!BnuqHHQB2k~$(KGrHqEH-D0EtrQGqcPOBLksggSwWg~~_35.JPG.jpeg (20.14 KiB) Viewed 6595 times
okdoak

Postby Number9 » April 2nd, 2010, 9:58 pm

A few more to finish off the month of March.

First up, the Tris Speaker S&D from another thread (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4042). Perhaps not the bargain of the month (all things being equal, I think that still belongs to the Gehrig zipper back), but, still a nice example at a very low price. Topped out at just under $188.

One of my favorite repros. I would have loved to have picked up this one for myself. Darn flooding!! :evil: :evil: Bidding finished at $318.

Another great catalog from glover3 on ebay (he must be a member of the forum, no?) This fine example of the 1895 Spalding Spring/Summer catalog went for $350. Gotta love those images!

Not a glove, but close. A very neat little scorer in the shape of a mitt. These pop up from time to time with different advertisements on them. Personally, I love em. This one sold for $114.

Lastly, a very nice looking Reach AL ball with WWI markings. Very cool. $995 was the winning bid.

Mr. Mitt has a couple of nice examples to start his month, but, even though they started in March, I won't step on his toes :D
Huntington Base Ball Co.
Number9

Postby Mr. Mitt » April 2nd, 2010, 10:43 pm

Thanks William, I'll kick off April shortly!
Mr. Mitt

Postby murphusa » April 3rd, 2010, 11:26 am

Here are a bunch of gloves that I was bidding on in March but did not win, I also was 2nd on the Ruth remake

At $280.00
VINTAGE MINT RAWLINGS 3200 WARREN SPAHN BASEBALL GLOVE

At $315.00
1930s Yankees Joe Dimaggio Spalding Baseball Glove Nice

At $610.01
EARLY 1900’S SPALDING BASEBALL GLOVE ADVERTISEMENT

At $449.00
RARE EARLY 1900’S REACH BASEBALL FRAMED ADVERTISEMENT

Another Greenberg that went from $250.00 until it finally sold for $135.00
Vintage Hank Greenberg Baseball Glove-Detroit Tigers

At $138.00
RARE Antique Vintage DAZZY VANCE HOF Baseball Glove!

At $76.00
Older Baseball Glove Box

At $587.00 Bob got this at Hunts for $780.00 the week before

1920'S WINCHESTER BASEBALL CARDBOARD ADVERTISING SIGN

At $118.00

MINT Vintage USA Wilson Del Ennis Baseball Glove UNUSED

At 162.50

Vintage Ken-Wel Harry Gumbert Baseball Glove

At $355.01

MINT 1920'S A.J. REACH BASEBALL FIELDER'S GLOVE NICE!

At $715.00
VINTAGE GEORGE SISLER GLOVE AND BOX RAWLINGS GS
Hell Bent for Leather
murphusa

Postby Number9 » April 3rd, 2010, 8:56 pm

Those Reach advertising displays were very nice. There were a lot of red flags in the listings (dead husband, uninformed seller, framed items) but, based on the other items for sale, I think the seller and the items were on the level. I particularly like the Reach metal sign that the seller had. Others did too, apparently.

$1325.

Huntington Base Ball Co.
Number9

Return to Vintage Glove of the Month